The death of the Sandwich?

Cydonia

Enlightened
Well at those prices I would imagine they are not exactly great sellers.
I've looked at them and thought about trying one...
But I think most would rather just grab a TerraLux MiniMag drop in for $25... that's what I ended up doing :shrug:

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think yes:
no brightness (say: lacking heatsinking)
no multilevel
price (esp. if You dont have host already)
switch action of the host
overall machining and materials

Fenix really stomped the market!

Gunner12

Flashaholic
For some who have had the Minimag for a long time, no because the Minimag probably means something.

For others who don't know about/don't trust DX(or similar sites), the drop-ins are probably their choice.

For the price of the drop-in, I'd rather get a good DX 2 AA light.

darkzero

Flashaholic* ,
I still build my own Sandwiches once in a while. Just built me NG750 Sandwich & will be building a couple of GD750 Sandwiches next. All with Seouls though.

BTW, multimode Sandwiches do exist.

I'll buy your old sandwiches if you don't need them depending on what boards they are.

Last edited:

jezzyp

Enlightened
I was going to upgrade my 2 AA minimags but when I saw the prices of the drop ins I changed my mind. I can get a fenix for less with none of the heatsink problems.
So yes as I can't see a single reason to pay that much for a drop in.

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was going to upgrade my 2 AA minimags but when I saw the prices of the drop ins I changed my mind. I can get a fenix for less with none of the heatsink problems.
So yes as I can't see a single reason to pay that much for a drop in.

+1 I'd like one or more, but only if the price dropped dramatically. I would pay 20.

wildstar87

Enlightened
I don't know if it's specifcally worth it, but I have just started making sandwiches myself. They aren't exactly drop-ins though. I'm using 16mm cree star, that is thermal expoied to the top of the body, with wires running from the sandwich below it. I also use a Terralux tailswitch.

I'll put up some pictures eventually, but it worked out pretty well.

It's still a nice size, and if you have some mini-mags laying around, a good mod. There does seem to be a lack of 2AA drivers that can really drive a 1A. The BB1000 and Nexgen don't really seem to be able to do that.

My next one will be on a BB750 (Used a Madmax+ last time). Definitely brighter than the Terralux drop-in (which is quite decent), and the heat seems to be going into the body nicely from the epoxied star.

You don't get the focusing capability anymore, since I'm using the head to hold the reflector down with pressure, but I never thought the focusing was worth a damn to begin with, and don't use it with the Terralux drop-in either. You don't get focusing with any of the P60 type lights either.

I think they have their place.. I do think that they are worth doing it as a mod, but not buying a drop-in (too expensive). I prefer NiMH over Li-ION due to dangers associated with the latter, so I tend to stay away from the P60 crowd, though they are nice. Honestly a 2AA (3v/2.4v) driver running at 1A should be completely doable, but there just isn't anything out there that really runs effectively in that range. In fact there was a feeler/thread a few weeks back about the interest in getting a driver built for this express purpose.

Last edited:

schiesz

Flashlight Enthusiast
As long as there are specialty minimags (like Will's wooden ones, or splash anodized ones) and lights like the groovy around there will be a market for sandwiches. I'll admit I don't currently have any, but i've made plenty in the past and will continue to do so. You just can't beat the options available when you can pick your converter and emitter and make it easily work in a number of different lights.

schiesz

Latest posts