New guy with a question...

Swagg

Enlightened
Thanks to Gunner12 in my earlier post, he pointed me in the direction of the Seoul mod for my Mag LED 3 cell AA. (My wife is getting mad because since I've found this site I've been here non stop) I think I'm gonna try that even though I have no soldering experience, with some guidance from a friend. My question is this, I've searched CPF like mad trying to find mods for this light, reflectors, lenses, power, even bezel to transform this light into something really bright and a little different and have found none. Is there a particular problem with this light? Should I grab my older Mag 2 AA and mess with those instead? What is the best thing to do?

BTW, all the guys in my office use SF which I love but I think it would be fun to bring in my MAGS with a brighter light to freak them out...

Thanks guys, any help would be great.

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
if you want to really freak them out, make a ROP HI with a mag 2D...

buy a Mag 2D

buy a glass lens and Pelican Big D bulbs from www.lighthound.com

buy the Smooth M*G aluminium cammed/camless reflector for
www.kaidomain.com or

you could actually just buy everything from fivemega on this thread if you look carefully at what he is offering.

buy 6 eneloops from whichever store you want.

Crenshaw

Last edited:

Swagg

Enlightened
I already have a 3D with the LED upgrade for Mag...Would this light be tons brighter? And is it a relatively easy install or is there a bunch of soldering?

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
well considering that the Roar Of the Pelican mod to a 2D is supposed to be in excess of 1000 lumens at the bulb and at least 800 coming out the front..closer to 900 actually...im pretty sure it would be brighter..:naughty:

i suggest doing a search on it. member KevinL is the creator of the original ROP.

be sure to read everything up on it. Also, importantly, let the bulb smoke before using it...go read up on that too. :)

and there is no hard work involved, thats why its such a popular mod, the bulb is pr based, the same kind as in the maglite, that round base with a nipple thing.... the reflector you just have to replace because the plastic one would melt otherwise, same with the lens, the plastic one would melt. the battery holder just slots in. be sure to read up all saftey on rechargables.

I actually havnt finished my own yet, waiting on funds so i can buy the holder from fivemega..:D

oh i should probably mention, its incan...:) there is a while world of hotwires waiting, ive only got my hand on the doorknob at the moment. and youll lose alot of runtime, but dont mourn it, instead rejoice in the sheer number of lumens...;)

Crenshaw

Last edited:

Swagg

Enlightened
Ok this sounds awesome. Should I use my current 3D or go buy the 2D like you suggest? I would think the 3D would offer me more batteries for runtime right?

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
well, you could get the 3D, im just not sure how the bulbs coudl take the extra voltage? you can always get the 3D holder, and a G4 bi bin adapter (it takes them massive bulbs that start with WA12345 or something ) and then you need to get the slightly bigger reflector from Kai is you plan to get it from there. Kai has a few different ones in store, make sure to get the right one...

then the extra voltage might be handy!

the pelican bulbs are rated around 8volts i think....you could direct drive one with alkalines in a 6D mag with regular D batteries if you want..but it wont stay bright for very long. although 6 x 1.5 is 9 volts, the internal resistance is enough to somewhat protect the bulb. somewhat.

i would suggest 2D for the ultimate mag-shocker-surefire-hardcore-guy-stunner effect though :)

acording to my friend, cos im not all that good at the ROP anyway, the runtime on 6 Nimh in the 2D config would be about an hour at most

Crenshaw

Crenshaw

Swagg

Enlightened
Thanks, that gets me started on a new project. I'll have to get that started when I get some extra cash.

But back to the original intent, the Mag LED 3 cell AA light, what can be done with it?

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
haha, oops!

well im not all together sure....

the only thing i can think of is using 3x 14500 rechragable batteries for...10.8 volts!

what can you go then....hmmm

Crenshaw

stitch_paradox

Enlightened
well considering that the Roar Of the Pelican mod to a 2D is supposed to be in excess of 1000 lumens at the bulb and at least 800 coming out the front..closer to 900 actually...im pretty sure it would be brighter..:naughty:

Actually it depends on the bulb you are going to use. When you buy the Pelican package, it comes with two bulbs, high and low output. High bulb probably has around 700 lumens whereas the low has roughly around 350 lumens. High output bulbs gives you lesser runtime and vice versa with the low output bulb. There is also the lithium battery set up for the ROP, but since this is your first ROP I advice you research first before using lithiums.

Explore this Master ROP thread, you'll find it very useful for your project:
http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=120462

stitch_paradox

Enlightened
Thanks, that gets me started on a new project. I'll have to get that started when I get some extra cash.

But back to the original intent, the Mag LED 3 cell AA light, what can be done with it?

I asked the same question not too long ago. I love the style and the length of the 3AA minimag, but I want it to be brighter. Someone gave me that advice that the cost of modding the 3AA minimag would be almost just the same when you buy a new, high powered light like the Fenix 2AA. So practicality wise it's better to just buy another brighter light. However if you really want to mod you mag, you can exchange the emitter. I haven't done it myself but one CPF member did. ( I just can't find the thread right now, but willpost it once I do) He used an Edison LED.

Swagg

Enlightened
Ok, so I think I am gonna do the Seoul upgrade on my 3 cell AA minimag, will this upgrade really double the beam power? I just enjoy the size and feel of this light over others so I don't want to purchase a different one. If I do the Seoul upgrade, would getting a different reflector help too?

Swagg

Enlightened
I am also going to do a ROP too, just not sure when I am gonna start it. Can't wait though

Marduke

Flashaholic
The MiniMagLED is really a poor host for many mods. The Lux to SSC swap is about the best you can hope for. Otherwise, it's not a well designed LED light to begin with.

For the price it costs for a MiniMag, and all the upgrades, you can buy a ready-made light that has much better build quality, and is MUCH brighter to start with.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
All of the MagLEDs can be swapped for a Seoul LED. Here's a guide for 2, 3, and 4 cell modules.

The ROP and Mag85 wound both be brighter(Mag85 might be easier for the 3D). Runtime would depend on the batteries.

The Seoul LED is at least twice as efficient at the Luxeon III used in the MagLEDs. So for the same power, the Seoul would have at least twice the output of the Luxeon.

It might be much easier to buy a new light though. Keep the MinimagLED as a backup. There are quite a few AA powered current gen LED lights that can be had for under $25(Like the RC-N3 and WF-606). The problem is most of them take a while to ship to you.

Last edited:

Swagg

Enlightened
Thanks Gunner12, that guide is great. I will hopefully do that and do the Mag 2D ROP in April.