Which one should I buy: G2 + Z49 or 6PD?

dmz

Enlightened
Which one should I buy: G2 + Z49 or 6PD? I prefer the 6PD over the 6P because the 6PD comes with a clicky. If I buy a G2, I'll add the Z49 clicky. I plan to add a DX SSC SKU# 4068 because I prefer a flood beam. My budget is $70.

> I prefer a SSC over the P60L so I'm ruling out the G2L
> I don't like the gloss black finish but I will have to live with it.

generic808

Enlightened
The two are very different animals. I can speak from experience because I own a 6PD, two 6P's, and two G2's. If you want a throw-around light which will take a beating, the G2 is for you. If you want a solid, heavyweight light, go with the 6PD. I personally like the 6P series lights more than the G2 just because of the extra heft. They are of much better build quality than their Nitrolon counterpart. The extra weight feels good in hand to me. Others will argue saying that the G2 is better because it won't scratch and nick, and most importantly, it won't get cold when holding in freezing temps. It boils down to personal preference and what you had in mind in a flashlight. If all else fails and you can't decide, just get both :whistle:

Last edited:

dmz

Enlightened
How much heavier is the 6PD compared to a G2 + Z49? Do you feel the weight when the 6PD is in your jacket pocket?

I'll probably get a M2/C2 + Z48 in the future but I have a budget right now.

adamlau

Flashlight Enthusiast
SureFire lists the G2 at 4.1 oz, the 6PD at 5.3 oz. Is the one ounce difference (not including the Z49) significant? If you think too much about it, it can be. Like many others, I own both lights and would opt to EDC the 6PD over the G2, if only for its Strike Bezel. My preferred EDC for 2xCR123A however, remains the M2.

dmz

Enlightened
I have read many post stating that the 6P has heft to it and now I find out it is only a one ounce difference.

generic808

Enlightened
I don't know how accurate that 4.1 oz./5.3 oz. comparison is. I own both and I feel the 6PD is much more than 1 oz heavier. Or maybe it's all in my head :shrug: But when you think about it, that's around a 25% difference in weight, which is pretty substantial for something so small.

adamlau

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is the Z59 clicky tailcap on the 6PD reliable?

The latest revision should be reliable enough as I have yet to experience a failure with one. Below are comparative looks at the undersides of the latest Z59 assembly revision (on the left) versus the previous (on the right):
revisions.png

dmz

Enlightened
Thanks for the pic, adamlau. I have read that the Z49 is more reliable but it is longer in length than the Z59.

Is the Z49 significantly heavier than the Z59?

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Both are good choices. the beam will be the same (if you are going to use the same light source)
This really boils down to personal preference.
If you go to the Surefire web site you will be able to see all of the specs including the weights.
You may just have to make a decision for your self. the nitrolon material a glass filled polymer is very durable and strong. it does not conduct heat as well as aluminum. the grip (with gloves) is better with the G2.
Aluminum is a great material all the way around.

Pick one based on your needs. What are they?
This ends up being a subjective decision.
In either case if you end up unhappy with the light just sell it on the BST forum and buy the other.
Yaesumofo

dmz

Enlightened
Is the Z49 tailcap significantly heavier than the Z59 tailcap?

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Go to the surefire website and look up the spec.
The Z49 is heavy and too big IMHO. and doesn't look right and it throws off the balance of the 6P/G2 light.
The z59 is the better and smaller switch.

BTW I have both switches and have never had any problems with either.

Yaesumofo

Is the Z49 tailcap significantly heavier than the Z59 tailcap?

Last edited:

dmz

Enlightened
The Z49 tailcap seem to fit the G2, based on the pics I have seen. The G2 has a thicker body than the 6PD and the Z49 tailcap is thicker. The Z59 has a smaller circumference than the G2 body.

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Beleive me when I tell you that the Z48 z49 switch will create an out of ballance flashlight. Go ahead and try it. IMHO this switch is large and unweildy and does not come clost to matching the G2 nearly as well as the Z59. Mounted..IMHO it is just plain off.
Yaesumofo

The Z49 tailcap seem to fit the G2, based on the pics I have seen. The G2 has a thicker body than the 6PD and the Z49 tailcap is thicker. The Z59 has a smaller circumference than the G2 body.

dmz

Enlightened
There are pros and cons to the Z49. I prefer the raised rubber lip that prevents accidental discharge of light when it is in my pocket.