Wholesale lights for ambulance company suggestions...

Xak

Enlightened
The ambulance company I work at outfits their ambulances with these Eveready 6V portable lights:

http://www.acehardwareoutlet.com/(3...uctdetails.aspx?sku=3001419&source=GoogleBase

They are only $7.50 each, and I'm sure even less wholesale. Naturally hardly any of them work anymore, some because of burnt out bulbs, others are simply broken from being dropped, etc.

Being the flashoholic I am I was thinking of suggesting a different product to the owners. I imagine they want somewhat large lights so employees don't "forget" they had them in their pockets and take them home, plus the large 6V battery will last a long time. They need to be cheap, durable, simple to operate and at least as bright as the old ones. LED would be nice as well, and probably more durable.

Any ideas?

warlord

Enlightened
As a ff/pm I wouldn't recommend anything nicer than the plastic disposable flashlights for a private ambulance company. Maybe switch to a C or D cell type but that's about it. Also, I don't remember using the flashlight on the ambulance once in the 4 years I worked shift for a private. You only really use the mounted spot for finding house #'s and the penlight for checking pupil reaction. Like you said the flashlights are crappy but if they were nice they would disappear.

At the firestation the ambulances obviously have very nice flashlights and everyone provides thier own quality flashlights. But then again they get used all the time, won't get stolen because of better accountability, and can save your life.

Alero

Enlightened
I'd suggest giving the good folks at Garrity a call - (800) 872-5483. They helped me with a deal about 1.5 year ago when I needed to buy several flashlights for the school I was working in. It was an older building out in the country and we had VERY frequent power outages.

I know they make a "Tuff-Lite" that takes 4xD-cells (Item #T700) and they are very durable and inexpensive.

There's also one that takes 2xD-cells and is still pretty large.
They often have Tuff-Lites on sale CHEAP at Fry's.

I used Tuff-Lites for years exploring caves (back when I couldn't afford expensive lights) and I can tell you that they can take an incredible beating without damage. They also have a fantastic lifetime free replacement guarantee. They replaced 2 of mine recently, no questions asked, because they were well over 20 years old and the rubber was starting to rot.

If you want an LED the KS200 is awesome if you can get them cheap enough. I got mine on sale at Wal-Mart for $7. 4xAA last a LONG time in them and the beam is great and projects VERY far. It weighs next to nothing but is the same large size that the lights you are using now.

Website- http://www.garritylites.com/index.html

Last edited:

warlord

Enlightened
If you haven't worked for a private ambulance company it's hard to explain how easy it is for things to disappear. People would actually consider those $7 Garrity's 'nice' and they'd start vanishing. Private ambulance medics and B's don't get paid nearly enough...

You can get Duracell Procell's for $1.50 a light. That's my recommendation...and I say this knowing a few of those will disappear too. They can spend the money they save on giving you guys raises.

Alero

Enlightened
Your're probably right about the $7 LED spotlights.

But the Tuff-Lites go for as little as 2 bucks at Fry's so they might be the way to go.

Right now though, Target has some VERY cheap sale prices on cheap lights, They have a ton that are as low as 80 cents here. I got one of those big 6v ones for 75 cents there not too long ago. :)

tsask

Flashlight Enthusiast
Would a 14500 or RCR123 battery make a difference?
If a light only ran on 14500s or CR123s, that would make it less attractive for personal use. Maybe a Jetbeam, Fenix, or Streamlight? At a higher price point Surefire also comes to mind.

Xak

Enlightened
If you haven't worked for a private ambulance company it's hard to explain how easy it is for things to disappear. People would actually consider those $7 Garrity's 'nice' and they'd start vanishing. Private ambulance medics and B's don't get paid nearly enough...

You can get Duracell Procell's for $1.50 a light. That's my recommendation...and I say this knowing a few of those will disappear too. They can spend the money they save on giving you guys raises.

Yeah, I guess your right, come to think of it I've only used the company light like once in the last 8 years and it was useless. Most of the time I don't even know where it is on the ambulance, but then I've always had my own. The owners just throw them on there to pass the state checklist, I'm sure they could care what quality they are or if they even work. If they were actually useful they would most likely disappear, just like the cell phone chargers always do.

...and yeah, raises? Lucky to get more than 3-4% per year. Been a month and a half due for one and still haven't gotten it. If we get more than normal it's only because the competition raises their hiring rates.

Come to think of it, screw them. Let them do their own research. Thanx anyway guys.

warlord

Enlightened
Yeah, I guess your right, come to think of it I've only used the company light like once in the last 8 years and it was useless. Most of the time I don't even know where it is on the ambulance, but then I've always had my own. The owners just throw them on there to pass the state checklist, I'm sure they could care what quality they are or if they even work. If they were actually useful they would most likely disappear, just like the cell phone chargers always do.

...and yeah, raises? Lucky to get more than 3-4% per year. Been a month and a half due for one and still haven't gotten it. If we get more than normal it's only because the competition raises their hiring rates.

Come to think of it, screw them. Let them do their own research. Thanx anyway guys.

Well said.

Latest posts