I've 4k to kick around. How to invest it?

Arkayne

Enlightened
I'm no financial genius so I'm asking for advice on what to do with the $ instead of having it sit around in my low % savings. What are good low-risk investment options?

jufam44

Enlightened
If you find a good tech stock, invest in it. Talk to a broker (we use Charles Schwabb) and they should be able to counsel you into something you can use. (I bought google stock at the ipo for around 87 dollars a share, and recently sold 200 shares for 650 a share, before google's recent drop.) If you find a company you have faith in, it's all the matter of pulling the metaphorical trigger. But before you do anything, talk to a broker!

-Max

turbodog

Flashaholic
If you use it to pay a bill/debt that you owe that is subject to interest (as most are), you will receive an guaranteed return after-tax equal to what the debt costs you.

Huh?

If you can't understand that, stay away from investing.

astrotec

Newly Enlightened
Hello,
First think Silver
Second think Gold
Third think Oil
do your homework ( most important)
as far as metals always get the actual metal in your hand ...
and that is just my humble opinion.
thanks
a.t.
:)

raythompson

Newly Enlightened
as far as metals always get the actual metal in your hand ...
That is really bad advice. Have the metal held by a broker. If you have metal in your possession you will have to have it asseyed and certified before you can sell the metal. If the metal stays with the broker there are no such problems selling.

If you really must have metal in your possession then get coins.

shakeylegs

Enlightened
I'd say pay off any high interest debt and invest the rest in yourself - enrich your life with travel, education, or perhaps even start a small side business.

If you have some left over and really want to invest, but don't want to stay up nights worrying, look at a low fee mutual fund company like Vanguard and find an index fund that invests in all the companies of the S&P, or some other large "index" fund. If the market continues to decline, continue to put small sums into the fund and do it regularly. When the market moves up, keep doing the same. It's "dollar cost averaging" (google it) and is a reasonably safe way to gamble on the market.

If not the market, and if you know something about collectibles (like rollex), that's another option. I know a guy who specializes in vintage corvette and triumph auto parts. Everything he buys gets more valuable by the day whether he sells it or not. It's his annuity.

270winchester

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have had an Roth IRA for a few years now. Not the fastest growing thing but very steady growing.

BTW I saw this thread on Ridemonkey also. I wonder what RM people would think if they knew you were a flashaholic. I'm on there too but under a different name to not get harassed.

Last edited: