[Correction] Kai XJC B8 light works fine

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
[Edit: I thought the light had a low voltage issue, but I did a test and it was a battery problem...]

So I really liked my cheap XJC B8 from Kai. Good output, good price, good apparent reliability, and very good battery efficiency according to his published runtimes.

But the proof is in the use and I've discovered a possible issue. All of the above pluses are true, but it now looks like (at least) my B8 has a low voltage start up issue. While it runs a long time in continued use like a night time walk, I found that mine fails to start up from a nimh battery that is only partially drained - maybe half or so. I don't have a meter to check. It's either that or a bad Eneloop.

Other low end lights - like the early Ultrafire 602s - had this issue also, as I recall.

I haven't tried any repeatability testing yet, but I noticed this after a trip where I didn't recharge the cell regularly but didn't come anywhere near the 2 hour run time I expected from an Eneloop AA.

So, I'm suspending my earlier recommendations for this light pending some more trials, in case anyone was considering one.

[Edit] I ran a test with another Eneloop, and the light worked fine all the way down. I turned it off/on every 10 minutes over a 2+ hour runtime, and it re-lit every time. So the light works fine, all previous recommendations apply, and I had a bad eneloop, I guess....

Last edited:

Vikas Sontakke

Enlightened
Re: Possible issue with the Kai XJC B8...

Is that a Romisen light? I know it looks like one. Generally, Romisen's circuit do not have the low startup issue.

- Vikas

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast

Turns out you're right Vikas, no low voltage issue at all.

I don't know who makes it, but they did a good job. As noted in edited first post, I did a test and the light came through with flying colors. Ran it off a several-days-since-charged eneloop and it went over 2 hours before a noticeable fade. Checked it every 10 minutes and it turned on every time, so my battery was bad last time.

That confirmed, this really is my favorite bang-for-the-buck available light right now: glass, aluminum reflector, near Fenix battery efficiency, reliable switch (so far...), solid build, and $13.50 shipped. To me, it beats the Romisen as it doesn't need to be modded to get good battery efficiency.

Last edited:

Vikas Sontakke

Enlightened

From the pictures at least, I am gusessing this is manufactured by Romisen even though it is not branded as such. This looks one of the Saik (which is definitely made by Romisen) or the Romisen H3.

- Vikas