My Novatac Customization

bitslammer

Enlightened
The box was on the doorstep when I got home and inside were my UCL lens, GITD o-ring, flat clip, and flat switch for mt 120T. Well ..yeah and a few other things.

This is the way I would have ordered the light. I like it very much now.

Click for larger image:

photo

Last edited:

bitslammer

Enlightened
I too like the o-ring, where did it come from and how did you install it?

Got it form Lighthound. It's the 3/4" size. Just unscrew the bezel (I used the bottom of my gym shoe to break it free) remove the installed o-ring and replace. The fit is almost identical. The original o-ring is not as thick but this is fine for me because the GITD o-ring picks up a little more light to make it glow.

Just to note I used an Arc-UV to light up the ring for this photo. I doubt it would ever be that bright. :naughty:

RustyKnee

Enlightened
I have various GITD ORings already and a 120P in the post......I will definitely be trying this.

Looks ace

Stu

sawlight

Enlightened
Well I B!!!! Just did the same thing yesterday!! If I ever get over the flu I hope to see how much better, or less snagging the new clip is.

Have you tried putting the GITD o-rings on the body? I couldn't get the light to work after installing them? I was also using the 3/4" size for the body.

FrogmanM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great pics OP and thx for the size reference! (i'm gonna need a hacksaw to get my bezel off:scowl:)

bitslammer

Enlightened
Great pics OP and thx for the size reference! (i'm gonna need a hacksaw to get my bezel off:scowl:)

You should really try the bottom of a gym shoe or a very gentle tapping with a small screwdriver to try and loosen the threadlock they put on. Once I got mine off I used a needle to scrape the threads clean and lubed them with Nyogel. Now my bezel is tight and secure but also still removable with sufficient pressure.

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was gonna say, you might see if you are successful in getting the bezel off, before you order the gitd ring. I've read of people practically destroying their light trying to get that bezel off. But now I'm inspired, I'll try the gym shoe trick first...

bspofford

Enlightened
I have two Novatacs, and both bezels unscrewed without difficulty. I did the same two upgrades but on the cheap. Flashlightlens had 22.61mm UCL glass on sale for $1.75 that fits perfectly. I also used 24mm GITD o-rings from DX. I have found that lights with a groove can accommodate slightly larger o-rings. Looks just as nice for under two bucks per light!

0dBm

Newly Enlightened
Are there any pitfalls to using a heat gun to help loosen the threadlock? Seems this method may mean the end of the original or-ring.

Last edited by a moderator:

bspofford

Enlightened
I a UCL Sandwiched between 2 GITD Orings.. :D

Cool idea. Most o-rings are on the bezel side of the glass, but Novatac puts the o-ring on the reflector side. I'm going to try this since my UCL is quite a bit thinner than the polycarbonate lens that it replaced. Hope I don't get too much GITD effect.

Xak

Enlightened
Looks like my Amilite T5 doesn't have an o-ring. Oh well. Looks like there would be room for a really small one between the emitter and the reflector? Would probably catch fire, though, huh?

Anyone know if there is a way to replace the o-ring for the glass on the Romisen T-5?

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.10451

Ziva2006

Newly Enlightened
Just a quick hint for most users out there trying to get their Bezel off.... First unscrew and remove the Rear half of the light. (the portion that holds the battery and tailcap). Then try using the floor or a rubber boot or shoe to unscrew the bezel. Some people have said doing this releases the pressure inside the tube, due to it being waterproof.

Just wanted to give some advice. I really didnt want to hear anyone destroying this wonderful flashlight :oops: just to get a GITD o-ring under the bezel. Because if thats the case, just PM me and I'll give you my address to send it to. :wave:

BabyDoc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just a quick hint for most users out there trying to get their Bezel off.... First unscrew and remove the Rear half of the light. (the portion that holds the battery and tailcap). Then try using the floor or a rubber boot or shoe to unscrew the bezel. Some people have said doing this releases the pressure inside the tube, due to it being waterproof.

Just wanted to give some advice. I really didnt want to hear anyone destroying this wonderful flashlight :oops: just to get a GITD o-ring under the bezel. Because if thats the case, just PM me and I'll give you my address to send it to. :wave:

Brilliant! I can't believe how easy it was to remove this bezel, following this method. I just used the rubber sole of my shoe and pressed the bezel into the shoe as I turned. There was absolutely no effort involved. I had tried this before without removing the tail portion and it didn't work. My shoe is a simple PayLess shoe with a oil slip resistant sole. I didn't even have to take my shoe off. My only problem is I hadn't planned on customizing my P120. What excuse do I have now?