Got an Ill Pill!

PJD

Flashlight Enthusiast
I acquired an Ill Pill through a swap with another CPFer (Thanx, Zeph!!!), and I hafta say that I really like it! It is brighter than I thought it would be (this is my first CPF member-made mod...so I didn't really know WHAT to expect), has a VERY white hot spot with a slight greenish tint to the outer corona, and has good throw for a 1 watt luxeon. I was gonna run lithium AA's in it, but then I did a search on it and saw that Lambda didn't recommend it because of heat (I did run lithiums in it for about 5 minutes and it did in fact get pretty warm...and they weren't even fresh lithiums). The up-side to this is that with alkalines the decrease in brightness was negligable at the most. I've always heard good things about the Ill Pill, but was never able to get my hands on one. Now that I've got one, it's easy to see what all the hoopla was about when they first came out. I REALLY like this thing /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif...very professionally made and very bright!
One quick question...Up to this point I don't own or use NiMH's. How does the Ill Pill perform on NiMH's, and who makes the best "bang for the buck" NiMH's and chargers? Any input would be appreciated! Thanx...

PJD

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
From what I remember, the Ill Pill is actually designed to run on NiMHs. It's low voltage cut off is such that it doesn't damage rechargables. I'm sure Lambda could correct me if I'm wrong.

It has a very flat regulated output on rechargables. Graph on this page:

http://home.mchsi.com/%7Elambda/lambda3.htm

(the Ill Pill is the same circuit IIRC as the Lambda Illuminator)

rodfran

Enlightened
Hello PJD, Check on Electronics Forum. Batteries included-Foxalopex post. Has a review of the MAHA C 401-FS NiMH Charger. And also a NiMH battery shoot out that is excellent info. I ordered some Duracell NiMH`s from MCM Eectronics awhile back- good bang for the buck .79 to .84 cents per battery depending on how many you buy. I think some CPF`s had a group buy awhile back. Also Thomas Distributing has tons of MiMH`s and chargers with lots of info! Get yourself a charger and some rechargeable batteries, it will save you tons of money!

Zephyr

Enlightened
You got it already?!?! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif That was fast!! Well, I'm glad you like it PJD. Hope you enjoy it! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

ZEPH

PJD

Flashlight Enthusiast
Zeph...Did you get my e-mail? Yours is on the way!!! Enjoy, and thanx!

PJD