How much Throw for outdoors?

kosPap

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello all! I am remodellling my outdoors kit and being stuck on deciding what flashlights to leave out I am asking for your suggestions.

Here is what I need. I need to make my kit lighter and that means removing flashlights and choosing smaller ones too. Possible uses are mountain camping, and disaster deployment (I am a member of the local HAM Radio jump team – a bigger light in this case can be carried in the car)

So...
I believe throw is never enough, but since it requires a bigger reflector and a bigger flashlight one has to compromise and settle for less thro for gaining in size and weight carried.

If you were to choose one flashlight for the funny pack and one for the belt how small would you go?

1AA cylindrical format
1AA bigger head (Romisen RC-G2)
1AA bigger head (Minimag, Ultrafire 606B)
CR123 cylindrical format (Fenix P-series, RC-F4)
CR123 bigger head (D-mini, Lumapower M-1 {same reflector at both), P60 LED Module Host,)?
or
as big as the Ultrafire C2???

A C2 modified with a multimode driver is VERY tempting (keeping an 1xAA light in the funny pack) but it goes a bit on the big side.

In the end what are your experience with these flashlight regarding throw in actual situations used?

Thanks beforehand all, Kostas

Patriot

Flashaholic
CR123 cylindrical format (Fenix P-series, RC-F4)
CR123 bigger head (D-mini, Lumapower M-1 {same reflector at both), P60 LED Module Host,)

Mostly because I've had such good experiences with these lights.

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
of what i have, most likley the TiabloA9 for throw, and either my NDI or P1DQ5 on belt. a SF l1 is a pretty decent thrower for its size too.

Crenshaw

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Get a fenix T1.Not really labeled a throw light but it sure does.Low is good for 60LM for 10 hrs and it's not real big

KingGlamis

Banned
As far as small lights go, I can recommend the Fenix P3D and the Surefire G3 Nitrolon. The Surefire has more throw but less runtime and lacks the multiple levels of the Fenix, which I use daily. In your situation I would carry both, or something similar to both.

quatra2008

Newly Enlightened
the best all around light i have is the fenix p3d it does everything. however just in case id throw it in the pack and then use a tiablo on the belt for real long throw situations.

adamlau

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can never have enough throw for outdoor use. I would go for the largest thrower you feel comfortable carrying. I would pack an M6. You will get used to the weight :cool: .

kosPap

Flashlight Enthusiast
well a collective reply is due.

The suggestion of a 2xCr123 cylidrical form has its merit.
Lights larger than a 6P I do not want. That is why I tend away from the Ultrafire C-2 option.

Outdoor_fanatic made the only decision turning suggestion. This means I am going back to almost what I carried in my last trip. A huntlight FT-01.
But I will be using a HO-6 bulb and my custom D26 module or a low current draw one as a backup.

BTW I will have with me Taktikka XP 9abckpack), an Infinity Ultra and a MTE SSC Multimode one (funny pack). That is Why I need a throwy light...

thank you all for your time, Kostas

Zenster

Enlightened
I would think of adding a CL1H/Q5 w/3SD module to your short list because it's about the size of a 6P, is definitely very throwy on it's high setting, but you also get longer runtimes on it's medium and especially low setting.
While it does require 18650 rechargeable batteries ONLY (CR123's will damage the module), you could take along 3 or 4 freshly charged 18650's and be good to go for days and days and days.

Then for simple backup that might not ever have to use, take along a Fenix L2D/Q5 and some spare AA batteries. With just those two lights with the CL1H as your primary light and the L2D as backup, you won't have much to worry about.

My .02 lumens...

kosPap

Flashlight Enthusiast
zenster, you amke a valid point on the CL1H. After all it has the same reflector as the D-Mini. (BTW did you see the extra 2AA tube for the D-Mini?)

If I was to satrt all over with a big budget I would certainly get the L2D...Since it shares the same head with the L1 if is a good battry sucker, and I like a lot the 2AA cylidrical form. Big enough to handle slim enough to put in chest pocket...

thanks mate, Kostas