Fenix TK10 "On Duty"

OpticalSerenity

Newly Enlightened
Thanks to 4Sevens and www.fenix-Store.com for getting a TK10 to me early. The Cake is delicious! If you have never dealt with Fenix-Store, you're missing out. They are the by far my favorite source for lights. In fact, if they don't have it, you don't need it. ;)

So on to the review. As some of you know, I'm a metro Atlanta police officer, and I work the night shift. I am on regular patrol, which means I handle calls such as home invasions, home and business alarms, and of course, traffic stops. Obviously a regular stop requires a good flashlight, but a more indepth stop such as a DUI requires a great light for an extended period of time.

So when I found out I was going to be able to get the TK10 prior to launch, I decided to replace my Pelican 7060 LAPD on my belt with the TK10 and use it as my primary light. My Fenix P3D Q5 remained my backup light in my pocket while on duty.

First thing I noticed when I removed the TK10 out of the box was that Fenix had removed the round style of the T1 and made it more jagged. I instantly was in love. This light reminds me a lot of my Surefire M2, which up until it was lost was by far my favorite light body.

2353451899_c493469c37.jpg

Usually when I use the light, I have my Hatch gloves on, so:

2353451043_2e715b4da7.jpg

I modified the nylon holster that came with it from Fenix. I removed the plastic ring, removed the top flap, and removed the velcro on the front. My tip to fenix would be to look at slightly more durable holster designs. Perhaps even a kydex holster setup as an extra option. The open top is integral as it takes too long to access the light otherwise. Plus, many times when I need a flashlight while on duty, I need to be silent. A snap or velcro are out of the question.

2354281730_fe1646a4e3.jpg

Fenix TK10 + Gun:
2354279800_7d1fed16e3.jpg

Utilizing the ring on the TK10:
2353448217_43c60c02ba.jpg

The bottom line:

I love it. I love having only a low and high. I have no use for strobe, SOS, or the low-low modes when I'm working. So this makes things easier. The low setting is perfectly fine for almost everything I did until we went behind a house looking for someone. Then I switched to high so I could pan the woods. It's noticeably brighter than my P3D Q5 Turbo mode. Or so I think. Maybe it's just me :)

It came with a clip, but I didn't put it on there. I like the option of having a clip if I want. But also being able to remove it. I've had Surefires that I thought would be perfect if I could remove the clip easily. Removable pocket clips have long been the norm in the knife world, so I'm glad to see it here.

I really like the new tailcap switch. It sticks out just right, and is easy to activate for momentary on. I'm not worried about sitting the light up on its tail. Its a "tactical" light, not a tent lamp. I don't kick a door down with a coleman led lamp in my hand. :)

2354279930_9b1d68e994.jpg

I see Fenix being a much more known brand in the law enforcement community soon. This light and it's price range of $79 are exactly what most cops and firefighters are looking for. Most guys I know think that a $200 surefire is just too expensive, but they can better justify $79. My P3D Q5 has gotten much attention by other officers, but they always ask for something that is more rugged and easier to hold. The Tk10 answers that.

The only draw back I found, and quickly got over, was tucking the light under my arm while talking to someone in order to take notes. It'll take some getting used to.

Not only that, but at $79 this light out performs lights I have that are much more expensive.

While mine has gotten wet, I haven't fully submersed it yet. It looks like it'll handle being dunked just fine from the looks of the O-rings and construction.

Again, thanks to Fenix-store.com and 4Sevens.

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for your input! I love hearing from law enforcement, military, fire fighters, etc, about how these lights perform for them. Great review and pictures!

After taking my TK10 apart and putting it back together, I had no worries submerging it under a foot of water. I'm sure it could go much deeper:

Nitroz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great review! I like reviews like this under real use, thanks for working to keep others safe and sound.

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
amazing! been hoping for a LEO to have a say in this light. Thanks OpticalSerenity!

Crenshaw

Fooboy

Enlightened
That glock is totally loaded. At least your finger is off the trigger!

Winchester rangers?

2354279800_7d1fed16e3.jpg

e2x2e

Enlightened
^^I noticed the same thing, thats a scary picture. Good review though!

0dBm

Newly Enlightened
First and foremost, thank you for your dedicated service to your community.

Please temporarily ignore my signature line for the purposes of answering my questions.

My questions are specific, but are not just about the TK10. Kindly indulge my inquiry as I have more than just a fleeting interest in this product as it shall ultimately support my didactic position toward the manufacturer regarding the relative merits of a few of the features.

1. Would you ordinarily have a need to place the flashlight bezel-down on a flat surface while it is still on?

2. Do you have difficulty activating the switch with those gloves?

3. Do you have difficulty removing the TK10 from the holster particularly with the grip ring installed?

4. Do you have difficulty removing that Sebenza from your pocket with the gloves on and because the holstered TK10 is located just above it?

5. Would you ordinarily wear sunglasses while on duty at night and when using a flashlight?

6. Does your department approve of its officers being photographed while in uniform, in public, while brandishing a loaded firearm held in a combat position in a non-official capacity while appearing to publicly endorse a commercial product?

Last edited by a moderator:

0dBm

Newly Enlightened
I made the unforgivable mistake of not underscoring the quality of the review. For that, I humbly apologize to both the officer and CPF.

The review is comprehensive and is abundant in detail and observations and the officer should be commended for making the effort to inform us of the strengths of this product as applied to his personal tastes and requirements.

I implore those posting in this thread, still others reading it, and yet more contemplating the intent of my first post as juxtaposed to those immediately preceding this one to allow the OP to further contribute to the content.

I neither offer nor imply commonality with the seemingly derogatory tone of the posts after my first or any others that follow after this one. My first was not intended to denigrate.

Let not the directness of my questions become the catalyst to the derailment of an otherwise informative thread crafted with obvious care by an earnest public official.

My questions stand as an honest inquiry devoid of any ill intent.

Please allow the officer to respond.

Last edited by a moderator:

tsask

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you for your service, and an excellent real world review!
any thoughts on that Q5 LED looking through tinted glass?

Last edited:

jnathan

Newly Enlightened
interesting font choice. May I suggest some reading glasses instead?

Excellent decision to feign appreciation before diving into a hyperbolic diatribe.

[loquacious crap snipped]

My questions are specific, but are not just about the TK10. Kindly indulge my inquiry as I have more than just a fleeting interest in this product as it shall ultimately support my didactic position toward the manufacturer regarding the relative merits of a few of the features.

Ahh yes, because your true intention is to take the moral high ground and educate us to the error of his (our?) ways.

1. Would you ordinarily have a need to place the flashlight bezel-down on a flat surface while it is still on?

How odd... placing a flashlight bezel down. It's as if this strange act has never occurred before in flashlightdom or perhaps even the flashlight using world. Seriously, is there a point to this question or did you pose it simply to be irritating?

Great question, it's almost as if that's something you'd write in a product review. Presumably if he had difficulty he would have added it here, 'eh?
3. Do you have difficulty removing the TK10 from the holster particularly with the grip ring installed?

This is a retort in two parts: 1) See above. 2) The holster is nylon, not elastic and is clearly not bulging.
4. Do you have difficulty removing that Sebenza from your pocket with the gloves on and because the holstered TK10 is located just above it?

It appears as if you may have skipped a dose of Adderall or Dexadrine, please try to stay on topic.
5. Would you ordinarily wear sunglasses while on duty at night and when using a flashlight?

I think we can safely assume that he neither wears glasses at night nor was he on duty when writing the review. You may relax, your circadian rhythm problems don't affect this officer.

6. Does your department approve of its officers being photographed while in uniform, in public, while brandishing a loaded firearm held in a combat position in a non-official capacity while appearing to publicly endorse a commercial product?

Why do you ask? Working hard to maintain your high school nickname of "taddlemeister"? More seriously though, I admire your clairvoyance in being able to discern whether the author is in public or outside his own house on private property. To paraphrase Admiral Motti, your sad devotion to that ancient religion seems to have granted you the power of determining whether or not his GLock is loaded. (Admittedly, it looks like there's a hollowpoint in the pipe, but it's possible that's merely the result of the camera's flash)

Might I suggest a new username? I thought FunGovernor might be appropriate,

Last edited:

husky20

Banned

Please temporarily ignore my signature line for the purposes of answering my questions.

Take a chill pill dood that was an outstanding review.and why do you have to type in that annoyingly huge text.police officers already have to put up with so much unwarranted abuse by the public anyway don't hate on him for doing something i really enjoyed seeing and reading.:shakehead:thumbsup:enough with the interrogation inspector cluso. :tsk: