Not sure which Fenix to buy

NET WT

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

I want to buy myself a Fenix L1D flashlight, but I am not sure which one is better. They have six different kinds at FenixStore.com. I want one that is olive color. Should I get one with a textured or smooth reflector? Do they come with different LED? Which one is brighter? How are these lights different from one another? I am not sure which one to buy. Thanks for any help.

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
I sent a message to David, but I'm assuming this is the Q5 textured version:

https://www.fenix-store.com/product_info.php?cPath=22_69_50&products_id=403

The Q5 is the latest emitter. I'm not sure how much difference there is in a 1AA light, but it might be a little brighter than the regular L1D-CE. It's basically about $5 more for the Q5 version.

The textured versions will give you a smoother and cleaner beam, with a slightly larger hot spot. The smooth reflector versions will probably have some rings in the beam, but their advantage would be a smaller and more intense hot spot, giving you a little bit more throw.

For general use, the textured is normally preferred, unless you're trying to spot things at like 50+ feet on a regular basis.

2benlightened

Newly Enlightened
i have 3... L1D CE smooth, L1D Q5 smooth and L1D Q5 textured. There IS a noticeable difference between the emitters, but only about what you would expect between 90 and 120... much closer and seeing a difference would only be in your imagination... the top of the bin CE and bottom end Q5 emitter might give you this.

The smooth will give you slightly more throw (tighter, more focused centre beam) and slightly less bright and refined spill (you may see lighter and darker rings here). The textured reflector will give you slightly less throw, slightly more spill and a nice smooth transition between the two. I prefer slightly the textured as it seems more refined... but both are pretty nice lights.

EXCALIBUR1

Newly Enlightened
I will get the Q5 textured version then.
Good choice! I started with the L1D CE Smooth and upgraded to the L1D Q5 Textured. Both are great flashlights, the L1D Q5 being the brighter of the two. If you are going to get just one, the L1D Q5 will serve you well.:twothumbs