Surefire G2L (very confused)!

BUZ

Enlightened
I just recently purchased two new G2L's at a local store (got a good deal on em'), well this morning when I opened them up I noticed something weird. They both have the metal heads (plastic lens) however one has a perfectly clear lens and the other almost looks like a diffuser lens (kinda hazy). Also one has a smooth reflector and the other a orange peel reflector.

Anyone seen this before?

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
Could you tell if the packages were open? Some people have reported stores having G2L's returned with G2 or 6P parts in them. People keep the more expensive P60L drop in, and return the light with a P60 in it. I don't know if this is the case, but can you tell if they are LED or incan inside?

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Metal Heads are normal, they swithed over to metal from nitrolan heads when they made the switch to LEDS, this is to help with heat dissapitation. but a surefire having a smooth reflector? theres something i've never seen....hmmm!

Crenshaw

BUZ

Enlightened
Could you tell if the packages were open? Some people have reported stores having G2L's returned with G2 or 6P parts in them. People keep the more expensive P60L drop in, and return the light with a P60 in it. I don't know if this is the case, but can you tell if they are LED or incan inside?

Wade I checked and they were factory sealed, plus they have the surefire lamps in them! :shrug:

Illum

Flashaholic
I just recently purchased two new G2L's at a local store (got a good deal on em'), well this morning when I opened them up I noticed something weird. They both have the metal heads (plastic lens) however one has a perfectly clear lens and the other almost looks like a diffuser lens (kinda hazy). Also one has a smooth reflector and the other a orange peel reflector.

Anyone seen this before?

save the smooth reflectored light, you sir has just acquired something never released into the market before!

an INCOMPLETE [not DEFECTIVE] $μяәF!я€ part :wow:

Last edited:

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
Metal Heads are normal, they swithed over to metal from nitrolan heads when they made the switch to LEDS, this is to help with heat dissapitation. but a surefire having a smooth reflector? theres something i've never seen....hmmm!

Crenshaw

Thanks Crenshaw, I though the G2L's were still all plastic. :)

BUZ

Enlightened
save the smooth reflectored light, you sir has just acquired something never released into the market before!

an INCOMPLETE [not DEFECTIVE] Surefire part :wow:

P3270007.jpg

Notice the one on the right has a hazy lens, also has a smooth reflector!
P3270001.jpg

Last edited:

pbs357

Enlightened
Nice rare find! Someone else here reported the same finding with a G2L recently. Kind of wierd, but they had an extra diffused lens in the bezel, and had a smooth reflector. Since you have one of each, can you post some comparison pics and beamshots?

***EDIT*** Beat me to it by a minute! Typing slow tonight, must be bedtime lol

Last edited:

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
holy ****, save that light! it could be a rare find..... smooth surefire, beamshots?...:naughty: save that lamp module, seriously...
and those a definetly LED verions.

no problem wade..:)

Crenshaw

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fire them up and compare the beams on a white wall. I wonder if the smooth reflector and diffused lens would have more throw? Or maybe they have very similar beams. Maybe the new G2L's will all be smooth reflectors and a diffused lens?

BUZ

Enlightened
Fire them up and compare the beams on a white wall. I wonder if the smooth reflector and diffused lens would have more throw? Or maybe they have very similar beams. Maybe the new G2L's will all be smooth reflectors and a diffused lens?

The diffused lens seems to smooth out the beam and have slightly more flood, the clear lens definitely throws a little farther.

Clear lens and OP reflector (left) & diffused lens smooth reflector (right).

P3270031.jpg

P3270020.jpg

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hot spot from the smooth and difffused lens, on right, looks tighter. You'd have to under expose the shots to see a difference in the intensity, if there is any. Thanks for the beam shots! They both look good. I wonder if it's cheaper to go with a smooth reflector and diffused lens. You should swap units and put the smooth reflector behind the clear lens and see what kind of throw you get. :)

jugg2

Enlightened
I have heard something about the diffused lens on the G2Ls, but I have never seen a smooth P60L! Swith the smooth LED into the light with the clear lens and see how it looks.

Mercaptan

Enlightened
Try the smooth reflector + the clear window... I'm sure that'd be spectacular (and keep taking lovely pictures!)

Norm

Retired Administrator
Guess mode on, perhaps the have changed the specification through the run and are now using a diffused lens and a smooth reflector to achieve pretty much the same result as they get with the OP reflector. :shrug:
Norm