$20 flashlight burns holes in paper in seconds

KingGlamis

Banned
So it all started with a co-worker that was impressed by my Surefire G3 Nitrolon with the Lumens Factory 380 lumen insert. I showed it to him yesterday and he had never seen such a bright light. He then asked if I had any other impressive lights. I said sure, I'll bring one tomorrow (which is today). Today I brought my Superfire WF501-D. I showed it to him and said, "I'll bet you can't hold it 1/2" from your hand for 10 seconds." He laughs and says something like "Bring it on, that's no problem!"

He turns it on and holds it near his hand. He has this look on his face like "Big deal, it's just a flashlight." Next thing I hear is "OWWWWWWWWWW, HOLY SH** THAT IS HOT!!!!!!!!!!!" He asks if he made it to 10 seconds as he is feeling the pain of the heat and I tell him that he only made it to 8 seconds.

He is seriously impressed and then asks me if this light will burn paper. I tell him I never really tried.

So tonight I tried burning paper with the WF501-D. Here is the first video of the results. I have a couple more, but they are uploading very slow so please be patient.

Note that the light burns through the paper in mere seconds. I was kind of surprised that the paper didn't actually catch fire, but as you can see, the light still burnt a hole in the paper.

KingGlamis

Banned
And FYI, the Surefire with the Lumens Factory upgrade would NOT burn a hole in the paper. It made a black spot, but would not burn the paper.

Patriot

Flashaholic
ANOTHER thread about burning holes in paper???

It's actually about the WF501-D. The title comes up slightly short maybe.

Thanks for posting that video. :)

BTW....kinda sounds like a "chick flik" in the background....LOL :crackup:

Illum

Flashaholic
hopefully this won't stop the popularity of buying USLs.

I wonder if this should be regarded as a safety issue:candle:
KingGlamis, any word on how much current is being drawn?

jugg2

Enlightened
Try folding the paper in 3-4 layers, it might catch fire then. The "Torch" I bought from Mac will just turn a single layer of paper to ash, but if you fold it over... Fire!