What Is Your Favorite Cold Cereal?

adamlau

Flashlight Enthusiast
I love Cinnamon Toast Crunch Reduced Sugar! In any variety of milk, or soymilk, anything cinnamon rules :D

TorchBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Kellogg's Coco Pops. "Just like a chocolate milkshake only crunchy."

Kellogg's Coco Pops was described "as the children's breakfast cereal that children most want to eat, but which parents would prefer that they didn't" by a parent's jury on the Food Commission. This ranking was achieved due to a level of added sugar approaching 40%, second only to Froot Loops followed up by Nutri-Grain and the promotion of chocolate as a breakfast food.

jtr1962

Flashaholic
Reese's Puffs. Unfortunately, it's been years since I could afford it (last I checked it was over $10 for a 14 oz box). Now I eat either oatmeal or Malt-O-Meal, the latter only when it's on sale. My favorite of the Malt-O-Meal cereals is either the Fruit Loops or Fruity Pebbles (they call it by other names actually). Their shredded wheat is nice also for a change of pace. I'll pretty much eat any cold cereal unless it's unsweetened, or it's in flakes, or both. I can't stomach anything with flakes. They get stuck in my teeth and irritate my gums. Maybe adding milk might help but I never could stand eating any cold cereal with milk. Too soggy, too messy, the milk dilutes the taste, and that much cow's milk probably isn't too good for you either. Besides that, at over $5 a gallon it's way too expensive for anything but coffee.

chmsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
jtr1962, if those are the prices you're paying, you need to move further upstate! Wow! Reese's Puffs 13 oz. box is $2.89 and a gallon of whole milk is $2.99 around here. Organic whole milk is up to $5.99, but somehow using organic milk on a lot of popular cereals just doesn't add up. I've got to have milk with my cereal.

I prefer granola, Grape Nuts, or hot oatmeal but I'm an old guy. I also like Honey Nut Cheerios or Frosted Shredded Wheat once in a while but I buy our store brand of any cereal since no one can tell the difference (and trust me, I really tested them all out) and it saves a ton of money. I put the store brand cereal in a different container when the kids were young and they kept saying they were so happy we got the name brand 'cause the store brands were never that good. Little did they know...

By the way, be very careful to check the unit price buying cereal. Why? The same size (dimension) box can weigh less at some stores and cost you more per pound while looking like the same package (i.e.: a box that measures the same on the outside of the box might weigh several ounces less depending on the store you shop). Several national chain stores ("Super" stores) have been doing this for years.

scott.cr

Flashlight Enthusiast
There's a new grocery store in my town, a U.K. brand called Fresh-N-Easy (I call it Fresh-N-Sleazy hahaha). For me, it's all about their house brand cereal with mixed berries already freeze-dried in there. Awesome stuff, and I haven't gotten sick of it yet after like 10 boxes in a row.

It only took two boxes of Special K with the strawberries already inside, and now I can't even look at it without gagging.

jugg2

Enlightened
I like Fruity Pebbles, or Cocoa Crispies. As a bonus it is very dense so you get a lot in a bowl!

Hitthespot

Flashlight Enthusiast
jtr1962,

I prefer granola, Grape Nuts, or hot oatmeal but I'm an old guy. I also like Honey Nut Cheerios or Frosted Shredded Wheat once in a while but I buy our store brand of any cereal since no one can tell the difference....

We must be the same age because we sure like the same cereals. I can also throw in a bowl of Raisan Bran and Cream of Wheat once in a while.
:)

Bill

jtr1962

Flashaholic
jtr1962, if those are the prices you're paying, you need to move further upstate! Wow! Reese's Puffs 13 oz. box is $2.89 and a gallon of whole milk is $2.99 around here.
Most of the name brand stuff here is $4 to $6 a box but it seems certain cereals which the store knows are popular sell for more. Occasionally Reese's Puffs might go on sale for around $5 (still too expensive for me) and it gets sold out within hours. The 14 to 20 oz Malt-O-Meal bags run $1 here when they're on sale (usually every 2 or 3 months). I'll usually grab 20 or 30 so as to last me until the next sale.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Lowfat granola. It holds up well in milk, staying sweet and crunchy, and it's healthy enough that I can justify it. Maple flavored oatmeal is a close second, although it's a little too sugary to have it often.

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I switch around some but keep coming back to Raisin Bran and yup, agree the store brand seems to be just as good.