Just. One.

chaosmagnet

Newly Enlightened
If you had to spend the rest of your life with just one flashlight, what would it be?

For me, it might be the SureFire UA2 Optimus, but I'd expect to be sleeping on the couch until 2009 if I bought it now. I own three reasonably good flashlights: two Rayovac Sportsman Extremes (I've got one River Rock and one Cabela's version of this) and my new Fenix P2D Q5. Out of these the P2D would be my choice.

kavvika

Enlightened
^Not possible? Do mods count? If so, here's one I have planned that I can safely say will *cure* my addiction (again...?)

Pewter Maglite 2C cut-down for 1C.
1 AW "C" Li-Ion
Perfect XR19 Cree Heatsink
3x Cree Q5 WG
8-degree optics from KD
3x 5-mode 3xAMC7135 driver boards

Fird

Enlightened
heh, i would, and do plan to keep my cl1h for as long as there are p60 pill updates made :-D

Lite_me

Flashlight Enthusiast
To me this question means not only something you'd use around the house, camping, etc, but something you could EDC also. Just one.

It would have to be...

Something versatile, meaning, something with high and low output, and a bit of throw when needed...
And a low low that will run for days or for checking on the kids....
With a simple interface...
Relatively small for carry and travel...
Common battery type would also be a big plus...
Good runtime, ..is always nice...
A forward momentary switch, ..very handy...
And strobe, ..cause, you never know.... :p

Right now, it's my NiteCore Defender Infinity.
It covers all the above and then some.
That's the one I'd choose, but I only have about 20-25 to pick from.
I think it makes a nice, just one, all-around light. ;)

dulridge

Enlightened
Just One?!!!!!!

As long as you don't count Fauxtons, or AAA lights. Right?

Just emptied my pockets and arrived at 7 lights, mostly on keyrings.

Of the 7 it would have to be the Orb Raw.

Or the Ultrafire C3

Or possibly the Fenix E0 since I spend most of my time indoors in places where the power doesn't go out. 4500kVA of generators and a week's fuel to make sure of that at work and a home where there have been a total of 20 minutes of power outages (one of three minutes and one of 15 minutes when someone got careless with a backhoe) since 4th January 1990.

Or the ...
Or the ...

If it really, really had to be 1, not that I like the idea it would still the the Orb Raw.

Since it's for the rest of my life, I'd better get to a lathe and start making up some new bodies for it in 18650, 3AA, 3AAA, RCR123 and so on.

Jarl

Flashlight Enthusiast
fenix l2d smooth reflector for the flexibility.

But i'd sooner loose a hand than be limited to one light!! :p

sawlight

Enlightened
Well, this is tough!!! Having no idea what is in the future for led's, which I am certain is going to bring a lot of changes, and not knowing what is coming next makes it really hard!!!
O the lights available RIGHT NOW, I think I would stick with my 120P, as it can be modded!

dulridge

Enlightened
No, those count.

Bummer!

But even in this Brave New world, I still own quite a lot of 5mm LEDs and quite a lot of CR20xx cells...

I may just have to reinvent the fauxton - and the AAA light as I know where I can get the use of a CNC lathe.

It's still going to be the Orb Raw but it may have some different bodies. After all, there is very, very little that can go wrong with it.

And you aren't going to ban lathes too? Are you?

Last edited:

chaosmagnet

Newly Enlightened
And you aren't going to ban lathes too? Are you?

I think that for the purposes of this question, the one flashlight you get can be modded. So more bodies for your Orb Raw would be okay. There is no rule against lathes.

For myself I'm thinking in terms of reliability first, and flexibility (to meet multiple needs) as a close second. The P2D wouldn't work for me without the L1D body I got with it; while I EDC this light in P2D configuration, I want to be able to use AA's if I have to.

I chose the P2D instead of the NDI for EDC based on form-factor; I really wanted the smallest I could get in a multimode LED with tactical levels of light available. If instead of trying to buy the perfect EDC for my needs I was instead trying to buy the last flashlight of my life :mecry:, the NDI would have been a better choice.