DX 6090 Dropin

dkelly

Newly Enlightened
I posted this in another thread but it got lost and I didn't get an answer, so I am making a new thread.

I just got my 6090 dropin and I can't get it to even flicker in my G2. I have tried with and without the outer spring and screwing in and out the heat sink. I turned the flashlight on and pushed the dropin down, moved it around, completely compressed, slightly compress, and everywhere in between and still not a flicker. With the original Surfire module, as soon as I drop it down it lights.

I took an electrical tester and tested continuity on the surefire module by putting one probe on the inner spring and one probe on the outer spring and it indicated a circuit. When I tried the 6090, it indicated no circuit. Does this test prove the 6090 is defective?

Thanks.

kramer5150

Flashaholic
I am not sure how much a continuity check will really tell you. A good incan should indicate continuity... its a wire filament bulb.

A functionality check would be more useful, IMHO. You can test that module by itself, without influence from the torch with a 9V battery. It is stable to 18V.

pull the module from the torch, and touch the +contact spring to the +terminal on a 9V battery. Touch the -battery terminal to the brass pill.

Pretty straight forward just DON'T reverse the polarity (!) Note also that a 9V won't have the current to really drive the circuit so it should be dimmer than optimal, but this is to only a way to root-cause isolate the problem (torch or drop in?).

Light = good module
No light = dud module

Last edited:

Drewfus2101

Enlightened
I posted this in another thread but it got lost and I didn't get an answer, so I am making a new thread.

I just got my 6090 dropin and I can't get it to even flicker in my G2. I have tried with and without the outer spring and screwing in and out the heat sink. I turned the flashlight on and pushed the dropin down, moved it around, completely compressed, slightly compress, and everywhere in between and still not a flicker. With the original Surfire module, as soon as I drop it down it lights.

I took an electrical tester and tested continuity on the surefire module by putting one probe on the inner spring and one probe on the outer spring and it indicated a circuit. When I tried the 6090, it indicated no circuit. Does this test prove the 6090 is defective?

Thanks.

The 6090 should not have continuity across the emitter. I know because I just checked the same drop-in less than a week ago. So it sounds like your ok there.

You probably have the same problem my DX 6090 had in my friends G2. We noticed it wouldn't fit with the large spring attached like it would in my 6P. But with it off it wouldn't turn on and would rattle a little.

How I fixed this was to pull out the drop-in and hold the reflector part in one hand and the pill part in the other. Start with the pill part screwed all the way in and then unscrew it about half a turn at a time. Install it after each half turn. Thats the quick fix, but its also dropping the emitter down out of the sweet spot in the reflector.

The problem with the G2 is that the drop-in is too short OR with the spring is too long. Better than unscrewing the pill would be to cut the spring a little at a time with a dremel tool until you had it short enough to fit in the body but not too long that the head won't screw down.

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
Note also that a 9V won't have the current to really drive the circuit so it should be dimmer than optimal, but this is to only a way to root-cause isolate the problem (torch or drop in?).

Yes it will. The module is straight buck, anything over 4V or so will run it at full power.

generic808

Enlightened
It's a simple fix. All you need is a brass/copper washer for contact. Or, you can cut off one turn of the large spring and bend and shape it with a plier to fit and make contact.

dkelly

Newly Enlightened
I tried the 9 volt battery test and nothing. If I leave the bezel off and set the Surefire P60 lamp down, it lights as soon as the spring hits the battery. When I try with the 6090, I can't get it to flicker with or without the outer spring, screwing the heat sink into every possible position, and even trying to screw the pill out. Not one flicker. I don't want to return it if the problem is just making contact with my G2, bit It can't be that hard to get it to make contact.

On another note, why doesn't an LED make a complete circuit as Drewfus2101 states above?

roymail

Enlightened
If you can't get it to work, and all else fails, there are some good folks here well qualified to check it out for you. PM me and I'll advise.

If you can find someone with a 6P, it would be easy to check it out for yourself. Just remove the outer spring and install the #6090. Without putting the bezel back on, just push down on the module and it should light up as long as the twisty is engaged.

This is a definitely a contact issue with the G2. I've seen it before.

ginaz

Enlightened
the led doesn't pass any current until some threshold level is reached.

Neverready

Newly Enlightened
I bought two of the 6090 drop in's and both have a problem. One has a high pitched tone to it and the other strobes. Both have been tried in a 6p and 9p. Guess ya get what ya pay for....

generic808

Enlightened
I bought two of the 6090 drop in's and both have a problem. One has a high pitched tone to it and the other strobes. Both have been tried in a 6p and 9p. Guess ya get what ya pay for....

I'm assuming you're using RCR's with the drop-in's, right? The higher voltage is what causes that high pitched whining sound; it's normal and if you let it run for about 30 seconds, it'll go away.

NoFair

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've had one fail (totally dead) and one outputting about 30 lumen. The others are ok. I'm planning on using them for fixed lighting at our cabin (12V solar panel based power)

Might bother to complain again to DX, but they are only about $10 each so it isn't really worth it..

Sverre