Torn Between 2-Lights

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
This is a tough one. My Photon Proton Pro has been a EDC since the 1st day I got it. I love the light and its 1xAA format. I enjoy the fact that I can easily change light levels with the push of a button. A couple days ago, I received a NiteCore Defender. At first, I didn't care for the light, but after taking the time to understand and practice with the modes and activation sequences, it turns out that it's a pretty good light.

My issue is that I only want to EDC one of these lights, not both of them. Each have there advantages and disadvantages.

Photon Proton Pro:
-- like the fact it will tailstand.
-- like the fact that it will dim down to a very low low.
-- like the pocketclip.
-- hate the fact that I can't start on low-white.
-- like the fact that it will run for days on low-white.
-- love the interface/UI, especially since I can do everything with one switch.

NiteCore Defender:
-- will not tailstand.
-- a good low, but not as low as Pro.
-- no pocketclip and/or easy way to carry.
-- like the fact that I can start on a low-mode.
-- assuming it will run for days on low-mode.
-- not overly wild about the interface/UI, but can live with it.

What a dilemma to be in. I really like EDC'ing the Pro. The pocketclip clipped to the front-right pocket allows the Pro to disappear in my pocket and not know it's even there. I have found a good way to carry the Defender in a similar fashion.

Marduke

Flashaholic
I don't have the Photon, but I have the NDI. I have found two ways to carry it.

1) A spare 1xAA holster attached to a belt loop via a carabiner. I find that hanging a holster as such is more comfortable than keeping it on a belt. Yes, it does flop a bit, but it keeps all the bulk out of my pockets (which leaves room for more junk). It also doesn't rub.

2) A spare 1xAA clip attached to either the head or tailcap. I find that the clip off a Rayovac Highbeam 2xAA light works well.

Jarl

Flashlight Enthusiast
both!! ;)

Personally, I'd give it a couple of weeks with both, and see which one you use more and use that.

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
Good suggestions everyone, thanks. That's part of the 1st problem, trying to find a comfy way to carry the Defender. I may try to carry it like I've carried so many other lights, a split-ring to the tailcap with a mini SureFire clip attached to my front-pocket, with the light dangling inside.

Ty_Bower

Flashlight Enthusiast
It sounds like you're trying to find a reason to like the NDI better... I'm not quite sure why, since your descriptions suggest you prefer the Pro.

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
It sounds like you're trying to find a reason to like the NDI better... I'm not quite sure why, since your descriptions suggest you prefer the Pro.

It's funny you mention that. After reading the replies, then re-reading my original post, it appears the only thing that I really prefer the Nitecore over the Pro is the ability for the NiteCore to come on in low-mode.

regulator

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here are a couple of other positives to consider about the NDI:

It is more efficient than the Photon Pro - there was a runtime comparision somewhere that was done by someone who had both and set their brightness levels equal and did the test (you might have to search for it). I was impressed when I did a runtime comparison with a Peak Pacific using a cheap alkaline. I set the levels equal and the NDI had a much better "flat" regulation. I got 3 hours runtime at a modest setting on the alkaline. So it does run efficient at lower brightness settings.

The NDI can use a 14450 lithium rechargable (which is supposed to run the NDI circuit even more efficient). This is a benifit if you are going to use a rechargable lithium cell.

But to me the NDI is really more like a one setting light since I typically set the level for the brightness/runtime that I want and leave it there. I think the Pro has a more easily accesible brightness setting and would more likely be used as such - but I do not like that it comes on at the high setting. I really like the REX UI and it what I think the Pro needs.

So there are a couple of things I could think about.....

skalomax

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would choose the Photon Pro. I like It because It's slim, very pocketable, and has a clip (which all lights should have).

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
I'll have to seek-out that runtime/effecientcy post. That certainly sounds interesting. Yes, I too, love the Pro. I really wish (I've said this every chance I get) that it could be configured to have the white LED come on low, then ramp to high. It's really the only thing I don't like about the Pro. In the meantme, I ordered a couple of Don's Ti pocketclips from The Shoppe to see if I could somehow mount one onto the NiteCore.

gadgetnerd

Enlightened
I currently EDC a Proton Pro (thanks to your review actually TIN), and I've got an NDI on the way, so will probably end up in your predicament. By all accounts the NDI is a fantastic torch, the only thing that concerns me slightly is the really aggressive bezel which looks like it could actually damage a pocket, or even worse the groin underneath the pocket...

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
It looks like you prefer the Proton by a large margin.
I have a first gen proton and really like it very much.
The reality is TIN, it looks to me like your search continues..... But for now...
Yaesumofo

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
I currently EDC a Proton Pro (thanks to your review actually TIN), and I've got an NDI on the way, so will probably end up in your predicament. By all accounts the NDI is a fantastic torch, the only thing that concerns me slightly is the really aggressive bezel which looks like it could actually damage a pocket, or even worse the groin underneath the pocket...

You'll have to let us know what you think once you get it. I did find that for walking and lighting a path, the NDI performs a bit better. It lights more of a path then the concentrated beam of the Pro. In addition, it's quite clear that on high-mode the NDI is noticably brighter and produces more light out the front than the Pro does.

Hitthespot

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey Nascar,

Your post is kind of ironic to me. I actually bought the Proton after reading your review. I later bought the Nitecore and found myself asking the same question. I really liked the Proton but I have been carrying the Defender since I purchased it and think it is the perfect pocket light. I recently sold the Proton because I knew I would always carry the Defender. The deciding factor for me was the Defenders abiltiy to use the 14500 which made it brighter than the Proton and of coarse the guilt free lumens which I really like.

Good Luck

Edit: I have not had any problem with the Defender tearing up any pockets yet and I carry mine in the same pocket of all my jeans everyday.

Bill

Last edited:

gadgetnerd

Enlightened
Edit: I have not had any problem with the Defender tearing up any pockets yet and I carry mine in the same pocket of all my jeans everyday.
Bill

Good to know I won't have to buy kevlar jeans when my NDI arrives :)

Seems like the eternal search for the perfect 1xAA light continues. Come on HDS or Novatac, please make a 1xAA EDC and put me out of my misery :)

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
I've been able to make a tweak or two to the NiteCore to allow tail-standing mode. I feel much better about that now. I still can't come up with an acceptable way to EDC this light. I have a Ti pocketclip coming to me to see if I can retrofit it onto the light somehow.

In the meantime, I did a sample runtime of my EDC Proton Pro and this NiteCore Defender. I used Duracell alkalines and Energizer E2 Lithiums for the tests. I can't explain the momentary dip at the 17-minute mark for the NiteCore.

I'm a bit confused about the NiteCore. I see no indication of regulation whatsoever. I'd expect that on the Duracells, but would have hoped for a somewhat flatter line using the E2.

NiteCore-1.jpg

regulator

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just for curiosity. Try truning down the NDI brightness to match the output of the Pro and see how they compare. I would be curious to see this.

The NDI is capable of driving the LED pretty hard. Just because a light is capable of a high drive current doesn't necessarily mean it is the best way to run a light. High drive currents push into the inefficient range of the LED and circuit. Backing these adjustable lights down to a lower level results in much better brightness/runtime combination.

Last edited:

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
Here I've added the test from the Eneloop cell. I still don't understand what you guys see in the cells. You might be able to leave them in a drawer for a year without recharging, but they don't perform worth a damn from what I've been seeing.

NiteCore-1-1.jpg

Marduke

Flashaholic
Here I've added the test from the Eneloop cell. I still don't understand what you guys see in the cells. You might be able to leave them in a drawer for a year without recharging, but they don't perform worth a damn from what I've been seeing.

After 3-4 weeks, they keep more capacity than a 2700, and keep a higher voltage under load than most other NiMH. No need to store them for a year to see their benefit. Anything over a 3 week charge cycle and they become a much nicer cell than any other "regular" NiMH.

Capacity on the sticker isn't everything.

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
TIN,
The E2 lithiums are 3300mAH and run a higher voltage than the 2000mAH Eneloops. According to your graph, the Eneloops performed very well. The thing I have noticed with the Eneloops is their ability to handle very high current loads without complaint. They also hold their capacity after dozens of discharge cycles, something my Powerex 2700s could not do.
My battery eater is a Fenix L2D RB100 bicycle light. The same Eneloops have been cycled 10 times per month for the last 7 months and still punch out 1950mAH capacity on my C9000 analyzer. Sure, they don't have monster capacity but they are very durable and last for months on a charge (my wife's camera uses them)

Back to your lights.... I don't own either of them although I have been tempted. Waiting for the R bins to start rolling so I am in research mode. Carry both of them and after a few weeks, use the one that you generally grabbed the most.

Problem solved until the new Arc LS arrives :D

NiteCore-1-1.jpg