Surefire E1L Outdoorsman

Snesley Wipes

Newly Enlightened
Hi guys, I'm brand new to the forum. I have lurked for a week, saw some good info, then decided to buy my first light which I received today.

I got the E1L Outdoorsman and just have 2 questions:

1) the reflector is smooth instead of "orange peel", is this the way it's supposed to be?

2) the high beam it puts out is more of a dispersed beam as opposed to a sharp crisp circle which I see in some of the threads. Is this also normal?

Thanks a lot for the feedback.

Snes

WildChild

Flashlight Enthusiast
The E1L doesn't have a reflector but an optic. It is not only smooth, but perfectly smooth (polished). You won't see any scratch, nor defect on it. Also, if the emitter isn't perfectly centered, it can cause dispersion on the beam. Visually, the L1, E2L, E1L don't have the most perfect beam on a white wall. Also, I find that pictures don't show correctly the real beam. BUT, with normal use, you will never notice the defects in the beam and I think it's a great beam with a nice large hostspot that has a lot of throw, but enough spill to be useful at close range. You can also get a perfect flood with the F04 beamshaper!

Snesley Wipes

Newly Enlightened
The light on the wall is bright at the center spills smoothly to form about ~5ft diameter of light from 5ft away. It really doesn't put out a focused beam. I took pics but the pics show a tight beam and doesn't show the spill.

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
KX1 and B A33016...

I have the same model. Would need to see a photo of the light emitted from your E1L in the dark to comment further.

My E1L has a hot spot, surrounded by a narrow but less bright ring, then and a significantly dimmer and wider ring (spill).

Snesley Wipes

Newly Enlightened
Sorry for the crummy pics...

The light spot actually looks more "diffuse" in person than in the pic. It seems to blend more with the middle.

DSC03389.jpg

DSC03382.jpg

WildChild

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry for the crummy pics...

The light spot actually looks more "diffuse" in person than in the pic. It seems to blend more with the middle.

DSC03389.jpg

DSC03382.jpg

Your beam looks like a normal E1L beam! The center is probably more diffused because of the slight frosting you can see on your lens. There are many variations in frosting from one light to another. My E2L has much frosting and a much more diffused hotspot than my L1 that has almost no frosting on the lens. The L1 has a little more throw and there is a smaller brighter hotspot in the middle of the main hotspot. Your emitter looks perfectly centered based on the beamshot, unlike the one in my L1. :)

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looking at the photo of your E1L's light output, the pattern looks very similar to my E1L. Enjoy your new flashlight.