NovaTac 120T reflector issue...

openbolt1

Enlightened
I have been lurking here for some time now and after months of reading some very interesting and entertaining threads I purchased a NovaTac 120T along with a UCL glass replacement lens from a very popular vendor here.

I received my new light today and noticed fingerprints on the reflector. Well I figured that since I had intended to replace the lens anyway cleaning the reflector would be no big deal. Well I unscrewed the bezel ring and took a Q-Tip dipped in isopropyl alcohol and swabbed away.

Though I did remove the fingerprints, I wound up with MANY "streaks" and some fuzzies from the cotton tip.

Can someone give me some much needed guidance as to how to properly go about this procedure? Any help will be ever so much appreciated!

FWIW, I really like the light. It is not as bright as I thought it would be but for its size I have nothing but praise for it. It is my first really good EDC and I'm happy with it. I realize now it is a light that will always be with me due to its small size compared to say a 6P that stays at home but much better than the PalmBlaze I normally always carry in a nylon belt scabbard.

Thanks in advance for any advice,

Openbolt in Idaho

thermal guy

Flashaholic
It's never a good idea to try and clean a reflector.But op reflectors are a little more forgiving.If the streaks are not affecting the beam i would leave it alone.

gadgetnerd

Enlightened
The problem with cleaning reflectors is that the layer of reflective aluminium (or even aluminum if in the US) is very fragile and can be damaged by scratching even with things like tissues. I've successfully cleaned reflectors by gently wiping with a cotton bud soaked in detergent/water, then thoroughly rinsing with warm water (not touching the reflector), then finally rinsing with a bit of isopropanol to remove the last drops of water. When the isoprop evaporates your reflector should be pretty good, provided it wasn't scratched in the 1st place.

Good luck...

nanotech17

Flashlight Enthusiast
mine came with i tiny hair scratch but i just leave it alone.
you shouldn't use cotton bud and that isopropyl alcohol - never a good idea.
you should use normal liquid soap or hand liquid soap - wet the reflector with running water tap - use your thumb & the liquid soap to rub the reflector with gently rubbing it.
you might want to test this method with other reflector first if you are still unsure - but i have tested on others and it works - and don't forget to use hair dryer to blow away the left over water.