Need some suggestions for upgrading my 3C Mag-Lite to LED

Turbo DV8

Flashlight Enthusiast
So I reached way to the back of a shelf in my shed and pulled out a shiny, nearly new 3C Mag-Lite I forgot I had. I really like the weight/form factor of this light, and would like to upgrade it to LED. About a year ago I tried one of those Mag 2-6 cell (or whatever) LED drop-ins, but was not impressed. You know, the Luxeon-based drop-in. First turned it on and it was, well, just OK, but after a minute or two of warming up it throttled it's brightness back to about half or less, so that is when I put it on the back shelf after returning the drop-in. Fast forward a year, and I assume there must be something better I can stick in there, but I haven't a clue. Is there a Cree or SSC drop-in now? Is there any resolution to the nearly complete lack of heatsinking around where the drop-in replaces the bulb? I am not looking to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear, nor do I want to spend more than $20 - $25 or so. I just am wondering if there is a drop-in now that is at least acceptably bright and that won't throttle itself back to the point of uselessness as it heats up. Thanks.

kavvika

Enlightened
If you're up for a bit of modding...

H22A "C" heatsink $13
Cree XR-E Q5 on star $8 at DX
5-mode 3xAMC7135 driver $3.10 at KD

The emitter will need to be removed from the star by using a soldering iron on the backside 'til it slides off. You'll end up with a 3C flashlight that will output around 200 lumens on high, with about 60 on low and 130 on medium (conservative, and out the front). With a bit of wire, your total might be slightly above $25, but trust me, it will beat the heck out of every module you can buy (except for the Malkoff).

Last edited:

Turbo DV8

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you're up for a bit of modding...

H22A "C" heatsink $13
Cree XR-E Q5 on star $8 at DX
5-mode 3xAMC7135 driver $3.10 at KD

Where does one obtain the "H22A" C heatsink? Been reading up, and from what I hear, the Terralux suffers from lack of heatsink just like Mag LED drop-in, so I might go this route. Does using the heatsink require cutting the reflector cam off? If so, it will still focus, albeit a-la MiniMag style, right?

Not sure I want 5 modes, but, OTOH, in what manner would modes be cycled with this driver on the Mag? Where would one place the driver?

Cydonia

Enlightened
This is the heatsink I use in my C size mag's. It works.
MagLED's work too, dim, but not many reported failures :shrug:
The TerraLux with that heatsink would be quite good.
Don't forget to get a glass UCL lens for that 3C and another 10% output ;)

kavvika

Enlightened
H22A heatsink here. I'd recommend the hard anodized so you don't have to worry about electrically isolating the emitter. With the AMC driver I mentioned previously, regulation will only be as good as the cells you're using. If you don't need the extra modes, you can get one of DX's 1.5-3.7v drivers, but they output about 800mA instead of 1amp.

Turbo DV8

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is the heatsink I use in my C size mag's. It works.

Does the lower circumference of that tower heatsink make contact with the inner surface of the Mag body? If so, is it loosey or snug? Interested in that heatsink w/ a Terralux if the heatsink actually transfers heat to the Mag body.

download

Flashlight Enthusiast
The MagCTower aim at solving the heat problem, the lower part of heatsink touch the inside tube of Mag C perfectly. And the it keeps the fast focuing system works as usual.
I think Mag will do the similar way finally. :whistle:

Turbo DV8

Flashlight Enthusiast
As much as I hate to waste a beautiful body, I am really having to rethink the economics of retrofitting the 3C Mag. After doing a little digging, the only drop-in that really floats my boat is the Elektrolumens MT-III. That's $90, plus add about $30 for a couple sets of NiMH C cells that I don't have, and I come in just $10 less than what one of Wayne's SSC P7 MagLite's costs. And I already have twelve 12Ah NiMH D cells. I have seen the P7 pics and it is clear the P7 out-throws the MT-III, but I love the spill the MT-III gives, and I wonder if the P7 has such a beautiful graduation from hotspot to spill.

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Elektrolumens MT drop ins DO NOT FIT a 3C mag!!!
You need to purchase a new 3D mag unless you got a spare one lying around. $90+$30 for a D mag = $120. At least you can use your existing batteries.

Looks like he's out of MT-3s. He's removed it from his MT sales page. E-mail Wayne if you want one.
http://www.king-cart.com/cgi-bin/ca...ser-id=&password=&exchange=&exact_match=exact
[email protected]

P7 sales page:
http://www.king-cart.com/cgi-bin/ca...ser-id=&password=&exchange=&exact_match=exact
Note if you are not fussy about the bin you can get 1 for $99.
P7 CPFMP thread:
http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?t=177152
Elektrolumens did some beamshots before he shipped the flashlight to Ernsanada.

JamisonM

Enlightened
Hmmm... Wayne told me that it would fit the 3C Mag if I just machined or filed the inner ridge off the inside of the head.
That's one way of doing it. The battery tube for my 3C maglite screws into the head and stops just short of making contact with the bottom of my MT-III's heatsink. All you have to do is put something in that space to bridge the gap and you've got light. I think a copper or aluminum ring the that's slightly small in diameter of a C cell maglites battery tube is all you would need.