Going to the US Embassy, No Flashlights allowed!

Empyfree

Enlightened
I'm returning to the States in may to return to my Summer Camp job in Maine, I've got to visit the US Embassy in London to get a work visa to cover that period.

I understand that Embassy's have to be secure, but the complete ban on all electronic devices is stretching it a bit too far! I can understand laptops etc, but I wish they'd provide a locker facility somewhere so that we can lock up phones, flashlights, keyfobs etc. Last year I thought I'd done well, then got a dressing down from the security force for having a coin cell flashlight on my keys (I'd completely forgotten about it!). They made me leave it at their desk.

bitslammer

Enlightened
In this case they're probably less concerned with the flashlight being a weapon then they are that it's a camera. They probably don't want anyone "mapping out" the interior layout of the building.

Empyfree

Enlightened
The Embassy's not a new building, if I had to guess I'd say it was built in the 60's ("Yay, we've invented concrete lets build everything out of it!") rush of blocky buildings. I reckon that anybody that wanted to know the layout could find out pretty easily without resorting to micro cameras etc, it's pretty much like a post office or bank, lots of waiting area with seats, then a few "teller" windows with grills to speak through.

Hope nobody from US immigration is on here and takes offence at my whingeing! Just a poke about me being EDC-less for a day whilst in the Capital.

270winchester

Flashlight Enthusiast
they are probably more concerned about the flashlight containing non-traditional explosive compounds and/or serve as detonators for something destructive.

If I were making the rules I would certainly allow lights, but these rules are made by committees with specific goals.

Then again England as a whole I recollect doesn't allow folding knives with locks in public without a "good cause". So if I, not being an electrician or construction worker, wanted to carry a tool that won't close and cut my hand I'm pretty much screwed there. Interesting to see the Brits complaining about American embassy security considering the laws you already have in place that govern people's behavior.

Last edited:

Empyfree

Enlightened
Don't get me started on our own rules... :thumbsdow I disagree with a lot of them, until I watch the popular "cops" style shows that are on regularly now and see nine year old kids with folding knives, air rifles etc. I still think that a blanket "law" is the wrong way to go about getting rid of the idiots though, its got to be better education that will resolve these issues.

Personally I often have a leatherman with a locking blade with me, I wouldnt carry it into a Bar, nightclub or other such venue as I feel that is asking for trouble, but I do generally have it in my pockets when I'm out and about or working. I did once get into trouble at Birmingham airport with my "long lost" knife re-appearing in my carry on luggage. Mixed emotions there, happy to find my $150 knife, sad to see the airport security dude throw it into the disposal bin without a second glance!

270winchester

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don't get me started on our own rules... :thumbsdow I disagree with a lot of them, until I watch the popular "cops" style shows that are on regularly now and see nine year old kids with folding knives, air rifles etc. I still think that a blanket "law" is the wrong way to go about getting rid of the idiots though, its got to be better education that will resolve these issues.

somebody elect this guy to the House of Commons, NOW!!!!

:twothumbs

In my household we are taught how to handle tools since I was a kid. I had some pretty powerful airguns when I was 9 but never took it outside of the box without parental supervision or consent. Of course my grandparents who raised me also didn't hesitate to let me know when they didn't approve. Education, no blanket bans, is the key for sure.

Last edited:

craig333

Newly Enlightened
When I went to test for TSA they had big signs saying NO KNIVES allowed in the building. I forgot about the little buck keychain knife I have. They never noticed it though. Even though I had to drop my keys at the counter and pick them up on the way out. Wonder what they'd done if was EDCing that day.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Then again England as a whole I recollect doesn't allow folding knives with locks in public without a "good cause". So if I, not being an electrician or construction worker, wanted to carry a tool that won't close and cut my hand I'm pretty much screwed there. Interesting to see the Brits complaining about American embassy security considering the laws you already have in place that govern people's behavior.

Ironically, this is one time when England isn't the problem. The American Embassy is technically America. The Embassy itself, the ground it is located on, all of it; American property governed by American laws.... Meaning, the rules and restrictions are the direct result of policy set by an American.

Same is true for any other Embassy. All are the property of the nation that they represent. Commit a crime inside an Embassy, and you face that nation's laws.

BIGIRON

Flashlight Enthusiast
My opinion would be that it's a counter-intelligence isssue rather than a security (weapon/explosive) issue. Seems sensible that no electronics of any kind, including lights, would be allowed. Remember, it's not just the state department suits that are housed in the embassys.

Empyfree

Enlightened
Commit a crime inside an Embassy, and you face that nation's laws.

Luckily they don't have far to go to deport you!

This wasn't meant as a dig at the embassy, more of a grumble at being flashlightless for a day.

It is a pain to have to travel down to London each year to get my Visa though, you'd think they'd know me by now and just post me one around April, save loads of paperwork!

Monocrom

Flashaholic
It is a pain to have to travel down to London each year to get my Visa though, you'd think they'd know me by now and just post me one around April, save loads of paperwork!

They just care about numbers, not people.

fxstsb

Newly Enlightened
I'm returning to the States in may to return to my Summer Camp job in Maine, I've got to visit the US Embassy in London to get a work visa to cover that period.

I understand that Embassy's have to be secure, but the complete ban on all electronic devices is stretching it a bit too far! I can understand laptops etc, but I wish they'd provide a locker facility somewhere so that we can lock up phones, flashlights, keyfobs etc. Last year I thought I'd done well, then got a dressing down from the security force for having a coin cell flashlight on my keys (I'd completely forgotten about it!). They made me leave it at their desk.

least they did not keep it.

fxstsb

Newly Enlightened
I do not see a security risk with a tiny flash light. I did not say a defensive light. Some times I think they are a bunch of idiots. You can carry the theoretical BS so far.

BIGIRON

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm not much into the 007 stuff, but we pay our spooks to be hyperparanoid when it comes to intelligence stuff. That's just the way it is in today's world. If you don't want to go thru TSA screenings or embassy security protocols, then don't. You just can't get on the airplane or do business at the embassy -- it's your choice. I don't like it, but I understand it.

paulr

Flashaholic
Put a cheapo fauxton led light on your keys. Chances are they won't care about it. If they make you turn it in, then hand it over and hope they get some good use from it.