Confused by TLE-6EX

acourvil

Enlightened
I was told that all the new ones are the new K2. I preferred my old SSC P4 version, but that now resides in my wife's light.

Marduke

Flashaholic
There are several versions, including the SSC and K2 TFFC. Right now, it is very common for there to be a discrepancy between the stock photos, and description used on websites selling the dropin.

You might be able to get a partial refund since they clearly advertise SSC and sent K2. Would be easier than shipping both ways.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
If there is a 4x4 grid of small "holes" on the die of the LED, you got the newer TFFC K2 version. If not, try to get a refund.

The Seoul would be a bit brighter, but the Seoul will shift blue when it overheats while the K2 will stay stable.

0dBm

Newly Enlightened
I purchased this module for the Maglite 2C variant. Prior to the sale, I contacted the manufacturer and was fortunate to have reached a design engineer and we spoke extensively.

This individual stated the the current versions use the SSC P4 LED, however the newer versions shall incorporate a "newer, brighter LED."

He did not precisely state what that LED shall be.

The conversation occurred in October 2007.

santza

Newly Enlightened
If there is a 4x4 grid of small "holes" on the die of the LED, you got the newer TFFC K2 version. If not, try to get a refund.

The Seoul would be a bit brighter, but the Seoul will shift blue when it overheats while the K2 will stay stable.

Yes this is the newer TFFC emitter. Those "holes" are clearly visible with magnifying glass.

I'm not going to make an issue of this. The drop-in works well, doesnt seem to heat throttle, and has very very good tint so I'm keeping this..
If it was the old luxeonk2 it would have been different..

Thanks very much for helping to identify the emitter!