What's new at Surefire?

Mr Ted Bear

Flashlight Enthusiast
What\'s new at Surefire?

Best guestimated on when we will see some of the new products from Sure Fire is August 1 (another 45-60 days)

Now that SF checks several thousand bulbs each month, the MN02 (Medium Output Light Assembly for E2) has been delayed BUT will be availabe very very soon... over 5.000 bulbs have already been checked and certified ready to go... less than 30 days, is what I was told)

Without going into the details (since I don't know them all), in the near future, taking a SufeFire swimming won't be a problem (Note: I did not use the term waterproof :) Apparently, someone at SF got tired of hearing that "it leaked", and so they are re-engineering all the seals
grin.gif

The half size version of the M6 (or "fat" version of the M3, if you wish) probably will never be put into production. THE REASON? It costs just as much to make as an M6

Blikbok

Enlightened
Re: What\'s new at Surefire?

If it's true, the last part saddens me.

I can understand how introducing somethine functionally identical to the M3T is redundant and not justified, but the only part that doesn't exist is the central shaft. The tailcap, battery holder, bezels, and lamp assemblies are all there. Plus, this is the company which is selling the C2, D2, Z2, and M2 weaponlights-- all functionally identical.

The M500B Millenium Weaponlight is a 9v, 6 cell light light the M6. It is about $520. The M500AB light is a 9v, 3 cell light light like the MiniM6. It is $450. The only difference is the number of cells. The MiniM6 should be about $70 less than the M6.

Darell

Flashaholic

Thanks for the update Jeff.

Now that I have a small herd of LS-based lights, I'm more interested in the HOLA than the LOLA for my E-series. But then I'm not Supreme Ruler yet, and I don't always get what I want.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

But I would pay as much as for a M6 for that "mini-M6/Compact M3T"...
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif

John N

Flashlight Enthusiast

Aren't the M series already waterproof? I was thinking this when I selected the M2 and M6. Are they not?

(I've understood lights like the E2 were not)

Thanks,

-john

John N

Flashlight Enthusiast

BTW, I think this is a good move on their part. It seems very unclear that it makes sense having lights that are not waterproof given their price and audience.

-john

Lonewolf

Enlightened

Jeff What did you mean by "MN02 (Medium Output Light Assembly for E2)"
I thought the MNO2 was a LOLA for the E series.

Mr Ted Bear

Flashlight Enthusiast

Lonewolf,

You are correct, the NM02 is the low output lamp for the E2 series but I think of it as the "medium output lamp, becuase is more thean the MN01 (e1) and less than the MN03 (e2 series)

--------------------------------------------

SF offers lights that have been tank tested, and certified as being waterproof (to a specific depth. Example, M2n (n=navy). The only difference between an M2n and regular M2, is that one was actually placed in a water tank, and pressure tested, the other was not.

If you carefully read the SF catalog, they use terms like "waterproof performance", yet they don't specifically state submersible to depth XXX... if they don't claim it to be "waterproof" they can't be sued. I was told that if they test 100 M2's , 99 1/2 would pass a pressure test (30 meters). SF cite's variations in manufacturing tolerances. Consequently, some changes in the seals would fix the problem.... but SF still will not claim "dive submersible to ..." . Gotta pay extra for a "N" series

John N

Flashlight Enthusiast

Is the M6 in the same boat? "Waterproof" but not certified?

Thanks,

-john

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic

I don't know about this. For the price of these lights, they should be waterproof. Besides, how the hell do you call an M2, M3 and M6 a combat/tactical light and not ensure it's waterproof?

Graham

Flashlight Enthusiast

I thought the M-series for all waterproof for casual purposes (ie, the occasional dunking, submersing in shallow water, heavy rain etc), which would cover most 'tactical' situations I imagine, but not rated for diving.

Although I thought they would do a proper dive certification if requested..

Graham

ToddM

Enlightened

I have to agree here, for what these lights cost and if they are to be a combat light they should be reasonably waterproof.

30-50m would be fine, but the entire line aside the rechargeables should really be able to handle rain, being dropped in puddles, pool, shoreline etc. It seems that those most of the millenium series is water resistant to a few feet which is probably enough. I'd say the general lights should be waterproof to 10m or so and the combat lights/milleniums to 30-50m

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic

Agreed. I'm not looking to go diving with any of my lights, but I'd like to know that they can be used safely in a downpour and survive being dropped into a 6 inch puddle.

Mr Ted Bear

Flashlight Enthusiast

this is nascar

this really wasn't discussed at great length... I think the comments made were directed towards the bezel and lens seals. The orings were never a problem, and I know that the tailcaps switches were changed a while ago.

i don't know if this is "running change", which models will be first, or if its retrofitable... again, the comment was " I'm tired of hearing complaints that our lights leak, and we don't even say they are waterproof...." Oops, there that W word.

Bottom line, SF does not wish to make the claim that that their lighhts are waterproof (but they will be)

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Sweet! Just ordered an E2E, and was hoping to get the LOLA. null

Steve-at-Springboard

Newly Enlightened

Part of the problem with being dive-certified is the push-button switch on the back that we all know and love. Below 10 feet or so, the water pressure activates the switch and you lose the ability to turn it off and on. The 6P had/has an option for a tailcap with no button for underwater use. Similarly, the newer EternaLights have very good gaskets and don't leak but you get very strange lighting when one, two or all three buttons are being pressed simultaneously. Save the diving for purpose-designed dive lights.

Size15's

Flashaholic

SureFire also offers stiffened Switch options that are designed for underwater use. These are usually signified by a "K" on the end of the product code.

Al

Mrdi

Enlightened

Thanks Ted,
For the great update.
Sure like the idea,aesthetic appeal of the stubby M6/3.
Where were those pictures/link of the proposed M3/6 Stubby?
Mrdi