Surefire 6p and Cree Q5 drop in*PICS*

sbninja

Newly Enlightened
Hi all, I'm new here. Great forum!
I recently bought a Surefire 6p and a Cree Q5 drop-in off of E-bay.
Also, I addressed the gap that occurs with the aftermarket drop-in by just putting a rubber O-ring in the gap.
Here are som pics.

P3210028.jpg

P3210026.jpg

P3290062.jpg

sbninja

Newly Enlightened
Here are some beam shots

Surefire 6p with P60 xenon:
P3210035.jpg

Surefire 6p with Ebay 270 lumen Cree Q5 drop-in:
P3210036.jpg

Outdoor shot - area during daylight:

P3210031.jpg

Ranged at 33 yards:
P3210030.jpg

Surefire 6p with P60 Xenon:
P3220037.jpg

Surefire 6p with Ebay 270 lumen Cree Q5 Drop-in:
P3220039.jpg

Last edited:

LumenMan

Enlightened
I'm new to the tech side of flashlights, so forgive my newbie question.

I have a few Surefire 6P & G2 lights with Q5 & R2 LED lamps. Why can't you just remove the outer spring before installing the lamp? I did this with all of the lights & they work 100%. This eliminates the "gap" issue.

andylondon

Newly Enlightened
Welcome to CPF :wave:

I too have a Surefire 6P with a Q5 drop in from Ebay. I have the Surefire Z59 tail cap and Fenix lanyard on my flashlight and swapped the OP reflector for a SM reflector for a brighter hotspot and greater throw. I have taken off the outer spring, as it works perfectly fine in the 6P, as pointed out this will eliminate the gap.

Out of all the flashlights i own, this is my favourite.

LumenMan

Enlightened
+1 ! I too use my Surefire 6P & G2 with the CREE R2 & Q5 lamps for everything. They are by far my most used lights (although I love my M6 Guardian !) :D

kramer5150

Flashaholic
you should take the outer spring out completely, and adjust the pill/reflector assembly for a tight no-gap condition. Doing so will ground out the pill directly to the body of the 6P and eliminate the spring from the conduction path. More importantly, the brass pill will transfer heat directly to the body of the light and keep it away from the emitter. My vid... here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uY3bfuxayVw

Nice pics too... IMHO everyone should own at least one SF. I'm in the minority but I love the twisty-tail cap. Such great peace of mind knowing that thing will work reliably for 2-3 decades.

Last edited:

MrGman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Its interesting how these coincedences happen. I read this thread earlier, then went on to my Saturday night shooting event. A friend showed up and was showing me his new Surefire LED G2 flashlight and his new aftermarket drop in P60 replacement for his 6P. The aftermarket unit was about twice as bright as the SF factory unit but it was intermittent. He had taken the outer spring off so that it wouldn't have that gap you guys have talked about on this forum, and we could here it rattle around inside. Most times it would come on but it was possible to activate it and not have the light come one until we shook it. Now he is hoping he can find the spring. I mentioned if it was too long to not have a gap at the body end of the bezel, to try and trimming it (the spring) down until it fit, or to put an additional sleeve of Tin foil between the side of the pill and the housing to insure a slightly snug fit to complete the negative terminal contact without the spring. It was pretty bright but not as bright as my Fenix T1. It had no markings on it at all. He said it was an aftermarket Cree Q5 that he bought off Ebay for $11 plus shipping.

Not a fan of the SF tactical switch versus the Fenix T1 or the Inova T1, 2, or 3 series. You can never just have it were you don't have to play with it. Either have to tighten it up a little bit for good momentary use or loosen it up so it doesn't turn itself on. I am much happier with the Fenix T1.

xcel730

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just got my 6P today, and I love it. It's one solid piece of metal. I'm waiting to get Malkoff M60 drop in. I also ordered a SolarForce L2 with R2 drop in from ebay today for $30. Just want to compare the two side by side.

sbninja

Newly Enlightened
I just ordered another Surfire 6P, and will shortly be ordering a Cree R2 , off of ebay.

I will do a comparison beamshot between the orginal p60, the cree Q5(posted above) and the new Cree r2.