SureFires & RCR123As

Centropolis

Enlightened
I have 4 SF flashlights: G2 Nitrolon, G2 LED, 6P LED and L1. All of them are stock without any mods.

I've asked here and there about being able to use RCR123As in SureFire lights. But I've never able to get a clear answer.

Has anyone used RCR123As in any of the lights I mentioned above without any problems concerning heat (without concerning the length of time I turn on the light) or fit of the batteries?

I just don't want to burn my perfectly fine SF lights because of being stupid. I can't afford to keep replacing SF lights.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
G2 LED = 2XCR123 = 6.4 + volts

2XRCR123 = 8.4 volts fully charged

= both ok

6P LED = same as above

L1 Cree = 1XCR123= 3.2+ volts

1XRCR123 = 4.2 volts fully charged = no damage reported so far

G2 Nitrolon = 2XCR123 = ok with P60 LA --no other battery combo works unless using the P60 LED drop that is in the G2 LED

2XRCR123 = ok with P90 LA

Bill

Last edited:

mbely2

Enlightened
"LED Lights / Heads compatible with 3.6 volt rechargeable batteries:

* NovaTac EDC series flashlights
* Fenix brand flashlights
* Lighthound Cree drop-in

Incandescent Lights / Heads compatible with two 3.6 volt rechargeable batteries:

* Lumens Factory Bulbs
* Chinese Flashlights, ONLY WITH 8 Volt bulb.

LED Lights / Heads NOT compatible with 3.6 volt rechargeable batteries:

* All SureFire® Flashlights

* All Inova Flashlights
* All Nuwai Flashlights
* All Streamlight Flashlights

Incandescent Lights / Heads NOT compatible with 3.6 volt rechargeable batteries:

* Most Incandescent bulbs are NOT compatible. We only recommend the Lumens Factory bulbs for use with rechargeable batteries"

This comes from LIGHTHOUND.COM. Here is the link:
http://www.lighthound.com/index.asp?PageAction=Custom&ID=4

Mark

Last edited:

Centropolis

Enlightened
G2 LED = 2XCR123 = 6.4 + volts

2XRCR123 = 8.4 volts fully charged

= both ok

6P LED = same as above

L1 Cree = 1XCR123= 3.2+ volts

1XRCR123 = 4.2 volts fully charged = no damage reported so far

G2 Nitrolon = 2XCR123 = ok with P60 LA --no other battery combo works unless using the P60 LED drop that is in the G2 LED

2XRCR123 = ok with P90 LA

Bill

Just wondering, is this based solely on the voltage inputs or have you used RCRs in these lights? I would love to have the ability to run some decent RCRs in mt CR123A lights. As far as I know, I thought I don't think I own any lights that can safely handle the additional voltage input.

Centropolis

Enlightened
"LED Lights / Heads compatible with 3.6 volt rechargeable batteries:

* NovaTac EDC series flashlights
* Fenix brand flashlights
* Lighthound Cree drop-in

Incandescent Lights / Heads compatible with two 3.6 volt rechargeable batteries:

* Lumens Factory Bulbs
* Chinese Flashlights, ONLY WITH 8 Volt bulb.

* All Inova Flashlights
* All Nuwai Flashlights
* All Streamlight Flashlights

Incandescent Lights / Heads NOT compatible with 3.6 volt rechargeable batteries:

* Most Incandescent bulbs are NOT compatible. We only recommend the Lumens Factory bulbs for use with rechargeable batteries"

This comes from LIGHTHOUND.COM. Here is the link:
http://www.lighthound.com/index.asp?PageAction=Custom&ID=4

Mark

See.....I am already getting conflicting information with two replies. :(

mbely2

Enlightened
Sorry for adding confusion, but I am also a confused one :)
I have a bunch of Surefire L1's and never was able to find out for sure about safety of using 3.7V rechargeables in those lights.

Mark

jbosman1013

Enlightened
3.7v RCR123's will work fine with the surefire P60L because it can handle 9v. There are some 3.0v RCR123's that will work with a SF P60 incan lamp but you run the risk of instaflash and reduced bulb life. AW's brand 3.7v 123's are about as close as your going to get to a surefire 123 in size, other cheap brands like ultrafire are much bigger and will cause you tail switch to be stiff. here's where to get AW's http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?t=173892 and here are the 3.0v http://www.all-battery.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=1015
I also use these batteries in all my surefire and fenix lights with no problems.

Centropolis

Enlightened
3.7v RCR123's will work fine with the surefire P60L because it can handle 9v. There are some 3.0v RCR123's that will work with a SF P60 incan lamp but you run the risk of instaflash and reduced bulb life. AW's brand 3.7v 123's are about as close as your going to get to a surefire 123 in size, other cheap brands like ultrafire are much bigger and will cause you tail switch to be stiff. here's where to get AW's http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?t=173892 and here are the 3.0v http://www.all-battery.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=1015
I also use these batteries in all my surefire and fenix lights with no problems.

I was once told that only three of the Fenix lights: P3D, T1 and TK10 takes RCRs. I guess this is not true either?

jbosman1013

Enlightened
almost anything will take a rechargeable battery you just need to be in the voltage range. for example a small list of lights I have and what they are running.

SF G2L with AW's 123's
SF 6P with lumens factory SR-9 and AW's
SF C2 with malkoff M60 and AW's
fenix T1 with AW's
fenix P1D Q5 with LiFePO4 3.0v 123
My brother's lights:
fenix P3D Q5 with AW's
fenix P2D P4 with LiFePO4 and the same with his SF E1L

WildChild

Flashlight Enthusiast
G2L and 6PL are OK with RCR123A. P60L was made to handle up to 9V in 3 x CR123A lights.

Some use the L1 with rechargeable here and no reported failure. Here I don't mind using primaries in this one because you get a long runtime on low and I use mainly this level. Also, all my AW RCR123A don't fit in it, they are too large.

With the standard G2, you'll need an aftermarket bulb and there are many options available either incandescent or LED. Take a look at the D26 section at http://www.lumensfactory.com/. The 4 serie is for 1 Li-Ion cell (17670 with the G2) and the 9 serie will work with 2 Li-Ion (2 RCR123A with the G2, I wouldn't go with a module brighter than the ES-9 because current will be too high on those poor RCR123A).

There is also the Cree E2L that has been tested with 3 CR123A (primaries) with no failure, only a longer regulated runtime. I tested mine (1 level version) with 2 RCR123A without any problem.

Centropolis

Enlightened
G2L and 6PL are OK with RCR123A. P60L was made to handle up to 9V in 3 x CR123A lights.

Some use the L1 with rechargeable here and no reported failure. Here I don't mind using primaries in this one because you get a long runtime on low and I use mainly this level. Also, all my AW RCR123A don't fit in it, they are too large.

With the standard G2, you'll need an aftermarket bulb and there are many options available either incandescent or LED. Take a look at the D26 section at http://www.lumensfactory.com/. The 4 serie is for 1 Li-Ion cell (17670 with the G2) and the 9 serie will work with 2 Li-Ion (2 RCR123A with the G2, I wouldn't go with a module brighter than the ES-9 because current will be too high on those poor RCR123A).

There is also the Cree E2L that has been tested with 3 CR123A (primaries) with no failure, only a longer regulated runtime. I tested mine (1 level version) with 2 RCR123A without any problem.

To make things easier, I only want to buy one type of battery and be able to use them in my P60L lights and the L1. If I get the LiFeO4 3.0V rechargebles, I should be able to use them in all of the CR123A lights right? The websites sometimes says something like "Only Charge these Batteries in the this Model XX-XXX charger. Is it true that only certain chargers can charge LiFe04 batteries and CANNOT charge regular 3.7V RCRs?

WildChild

Flashlight Enthusiast
To make things easier, I only want to buy one type of battery and be able to use them in my P60L lights and the L1. If I get the LiFeO4 3.0V rechargebles, I should be able to use them in all of the CR123A lights right? The websites sometimes says something like "Only Charge these Batteries in the this Model XX-XXX charger. Is it true that only certain chargers can charge LiFe04 batteries and CANNOT charge regular 3.7V RCRs?

Yes, LiFePO4 must be charged in their own charger, they are not compatible with standard Li-Ion chargers. I'm not sure but I think LiFePO4 batteries are often smaller than standard RCR123A, they may fit in the L1. As I said, my RCR123A don't fit at all in my L1... LiFePO4 will work correctly with the P60L but I think there's a huge risk of overdischarging them easily as they are not protected and the P60L will run them down past the overdischarge point before you'll notice a drop in brightness... The L1 should be OK with them.

SemperFi

Banned

I find this with great interests myself after obtaining the online purchase of the standard CR123As and soon after, followed by the RCR123s that somehow opened up even more on my curiosity circling on the mAh and 3.0v and since, had a good idea how to view and differentiate their purpose but I'm still searching for the right & explicit answer like you are now doing.

This much I can share confidently with you is that, the makers of the chargers do want to monopolize their own sales with a specific marketing strategy i.e. with the selective increment of power trickling across during any charging period, one runs the risk when inter-mingling other brands into a charger that is not meant to serve an alien brand and again, this applies with the voltage too.

Hence, the purchase of this unknown brand by me as a charger namely marked as HQ, is something I will only use to charge these RCR123s 3.0v and no other is getting into that charger from here on. Since I bought it from a reputable source in my country, I can relax on its quality wherever it originates from.

What I would also like to know is can our flashlights, like mine for instance with 225 Lumens, operate safely with two RCR123s of 3.0v and with an individual mAh capacity that is as high as 1800mAh (if there is one to be found), be safe?
My current ones are at 2x from 600mAh as you can see from the picture inserted above meaning, 1200mAh against 3600mAh??? Is this at all workable? Anyone with a technical mind for a rational answer??

Last edited:

matt0

Enlightened
SemperFi, please explain your math, 1200mAh and 3600mAh?

Bill

From my understanding, SemperFi is asking if it would be possible to run two 1800mAh 3V RCR123's in a light that instead of running two 600mAh 3V RCR123's.

However, I'm not sure if you can add the mAh like that. Two 600mAh 3V batteries is "electrically" the same as a single 600mAh 6V battery right?

asdalton

Flashlight Enthusiast

Not true. The following will work:

- KL1 (note: not the more recent KX1 or KX2) - one R123A or 17670.
- KL4/L4 - one 17670.
- KL5/L5 - one 17670.
- U2 - one 17670 or 18650 (if you have an older barrel).

Update:

I see that the question was focused on 3.6 V R123A cells specifically. In that case, the KL1 (Luxeon) is still safe with 1 cell due to its 3-6 volt input range. The KL4 will also work with this cell in a 1-cell body.

Last edited:

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
From my understanding, SemperFi is asking if it would be possible to run two 1800mAh 3V RCR123's in a light that instead of running two 600mAh 3V RCR123's.

However, I'm not sure if you can add the mAh like that. Two 600mAh 3V batteries is "electrically" the same as a single 600mAh 6V battery right?

Yes, two such RCR123's that are run in series will equal 6+ volts at 600mAh. There are no 1800mAh RCR123's, most testing at around 400-600mAh, with the highest mAh's batteries being the 3.6-4.2 volt RCR123's.

Bill

Centropolis

Enlightened
Not true. The following will work:

- KL1 (note: not the more recent KX1 or KX2) - one R123A or 17670.
- KL4/L4 - one 17670.
- KL5/L5 - one 17670.
- U2 - one 17670 or 18650 (if you have an older barrel).

Update:

I see that the question was focused on 3.6 V R123A cells specifically. In that case, the KL1 (Luxeon) is still safe with 1 cell due to its 3-6 volt input range. The KL4 will also work with this cell in a 1-cell body.

The conclusion I've come up with so far is that the G2L and 6PL will definitely work with two 3.7V RCR123As or two 3.0 LiFeP04s....and the L1 SHOULD be okay with one 3.0V LiFeP04. (I think mine has the KX1 head.)

I think I am going to buy 4 LiFeP04s batteries and a charger for it and it should with all of my CR123 lights and future ones like maybe a P2D. It just means that my G2L will only run for 1 hour on full (or less)! :(

WildChild

Flashlight Enthusiast
The conclusion I've come up with so far is that the G2L and 6PL will definitely work with two 3.7V RCR123As or two 3.0 LiFeP04s....and the L1 SHOULD be okay with one 3.0V LiFeP04. (I think mine has the KX1 head.)

I think I am going to buy 4 LiFeP04s batteries and a charger for it and it should with all of my CR123 lights and future ones like maybe a P2D. It just means that my G2L will only run for 1 hour on full (or less)! :(

The KX1 head is only for the E1L. The L1 has it's own smaller head because the circuit is in the body instead.