Is anyone working on the Titan Mark II?

Hodsta

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've only had the SF Titan for 48 hours but I'm realising it could be, despite it's imperfections, the most useful light I own!

The TiPD-S, modded HDS or a Novatac would be my choice in a "if you had to choose only one" situation. BUT I cannot religiously carry one of these due to thier size.

The only light I ALWAYS have on me is an Orb Wee on my keychain. Therefore as much as I rave about the HDS & TiPD-S the Wee is my only true EDC. On account of it's smaller size the Titan could change all that and add a huge amount of functionality to boot.

BUT.................

I'd be much happier with the Titan if...................

a) It had a brighter, tighter beam - if the offer of variable brightnesss is there then, to me, there is no downside in having a very bright/short runtime option as the user is in complete controle to match runtime to task.

b) It had a warmer tint.

c) It had an even lower low. A tritium type brightness, such that it could run for many hundreds of hours on one battery purely as a locator.

I realise that a) and c) maybe mutually exclusive without totally redesigning the board.

I expect other Titan owners have thier own thoughts about what would improve thier Titan so my question is - is anyone planning any mods?

(obvious cheers to Phredd for his work on the externals - but in this case I'm thinking about the internals, although a deeper bezel to protect the glass in the event of a fall would also be a winner!)

Last edited:

Gunner12

Flashaholic
It seems like they are making a CR123 Al version of the Titan for a lower price.

It should fit "A"(larger light, probably larger reflector, more throw), "B" would depend on the LED itself. "C" is probably not included.

But CR123 might be too big for you.

Hodsta

Flashlight Enthusiast
It seems like they are making a CR123 Al version of the Titan for a lower price.

It should fit "A"(larger light, probably larger reflector, more throw), "B" would depend on the LED itself. "C" is probably not included.

But CR123 might be too big for you.

And not Ti:devil:. I like the heft of Ti over Al.

The T1A will definately have to be larger that the Titan, it will likely be a great light but will lose what is to me it's main appeal, size.

The Lummi Orbs (amongst others) prove you can get some throw out of a small reflector and a CREE.

If someone could make a slightly extended bezel to house slightly deeper reflector with harder driven CREE of a warmer tint I would forgo the lower low and be a happy chap.

Last edited:

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Call me crazy. I am NOT one of those guys who gets a flashlight and immediately goes to work taking it apart and figuring out a way to improve it. Some lights lend themselves to operational re-design better than others. A light like the MULE or any other aleph light which allow you to switch out the emitter driver package as well as the reflector, at will, these lights beg to be improved by their very nature.

The Titan on the other hand is the coolest titanium cr2 flashlight I own and I wouldn't change a thing. It is just right as it is.

Yaesumofo

Hodsta

Flashlight Enthusiast
Call me crazy. I am NOT one of those guys who gets a flashlight and immediately goes to work taking it apart and figuring out a way to improve it. Some lights lend themselves to operational re-design better than others. A light like the MULE or any other aleph light which allow you to switch out the emitter driver package as well as the reflector, at will, these lights beg to be improved by their very nature.

The Titan on the other hand is the coolest titanium cr2 flashlight I own and I wouldn't change a thing. It is just right as it is.

Yaesumofo

This is a first for me also, I tend to try and find the perfect light rather than Mod towards it.

The Titan, however is quite a unique platform and the cool tint and lack of upper brightness adjustabilty are real shortcomings IMO. This light is so tantalisingly close to a perfect EDC for me they warrant some investment to rectify.

So Yaesu, you don't want adjustability up to 120 or a more daylight like tint?

I'll quote you on that when one of the bright sparks comes up with an effective solution.:duh2:

Last edited:

Steve L

Flashlight Enthusiast
With a CR2 you can only draw so much current from it before you get terrible run times. With it's small size, proper heat-sinking would also be a problem. Small lights that are overdriven get hot fast. To increase throw, you would need a bigger reflector increasing the lights size.

It seems like your best bet would be the Aluminum Titan. It uses a CR123, you would be able to drive the LED harder and still get reasonable run times. It should also be a little bigger allowing a larger reflector and better heat-sinking.

Last edited:

Hodsta

Flashlight Enthusiast
With a CR2 you can only draw so much current from it before you get terrible run times. With it's small size, proper heat-sinking would also be a problem. Small lights that are overdriven get hot fast. To increase throw, you would need a bigger reflector increasing the lights size.

Agreed, but with a UI where you have 100% control over the output I do not see the issue. I may choose terrible runtimes and a hot light if the need for light exceeds the need for longevity. Why build a UI with such user control only to hard stop well below drive level of the LED.

I would like to be able to choose up to a higher 100-120lm level in addition to the 75 hour low - 90 min max of the current Titan.

The Orb RAW uses a CR2 and will chuck out 140+ lumens, with throw, for 25 mins with a reflector that is only marginally bigger than that in the Titan.

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
I actually really like the beam a lot. The Titan draws ~ 850mA on high, so runtime should be about an hour. I'm happy with that, but I think they could of pushed it more. Its not like SF hasn't made a 20min runtime light before.

However what I would like to see is one of the skilled Ti artisans make us an acme tailcap that had a simple power symbol
2v7t304.png
(think Larrylight, FF3, Ion, etc) type of keyring attachment. I think you could even keep a 1/4" threaded hole for tripod use. Other designs (Arc AA, Fenix P1, Longbow) would also work, basically anything that was reliable and only added 5 mm to the length.

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not to drag this.... well it is on topic.
I just do not see it being all that difficult to change the clip. Creating a threaded piece and a pin system that screws down and locks with a pin. It just is not that tough. The problem is that there is a very small market and a TI part would not be cheap. In order to match the TITAN I think the end product would have to be bead blasted. One would want the extension to match.
I fear the part will cost too much to be practical.
Yaesumofo

I actually really like the beam a lot. The Titan draws ~ 850mA on high, so runtime should be about an hour. I'm happy with that, but I think they could of pushed it more. Its not like SF hasn't made a 20min runtime light before.

However what I would like to see is one of the skilled Ti artisans make us an acme tailcap that had a simple power symbol
2v7t304.png
(think Larry light, FF3, Ion, etc) type of keyring attachment. I think you could even keep a 1/4" threaded hole for tripod use. Other designs (Arc AA, Fenix P1, Longbow) would also work, basically anything that was reliable and only added 5 mm to the length.