HOW TO ? /the best way to "lock" a Mag-lite head

nitnapz

Enlightened
hello, i am thinking about a very practical way to lock a maglite head. in applications such as the USL or torch or any other beam that only looks good in one position.

i was thinking about plastic bags or treadseal, but that is still not idiot proof (any pretty ghetto) i do not own a clamp, but i do have a drill and bits.

what have you done to lock your head.
p.s. i've super glued my minimags with terralux bulbs and tailcap clickie!

Nitroz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Threadlocker will do just what you need. Loctite 242 is what you want.

darkzero

Flashaholic* ,
I use a thicker o-ring without lube, thick enough to where I can barely get the head on. Set the head to where I need & it will never move unless I really turn hard on it. IMO this is the better than loctite or glue cause it's 100% reversable.

FILIPPO

Flashlight Enthusiast
this may be a little long to do but...
I have positioned the KIU socket where with a WA bulb it's in the perfect focal point....:ohgeez:

JimmyM

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like darkzero's solution. Actually, if you lube the oversize o-ring with a little hairspray (be careful of overspray) you can adjust it easily enough until the spray dries. Then it's "locked" until you turn it real hard.

modamag

Flashlight Enthusiast
Jimmy, hairspray? Did I read that right?
Is it suppose to soften the oring? If so then please also specify the oring type Buna?

SnowplowTortoise

Newly Enlightened
I can't say I've tried it with Mag heads, but I know the hair spray trick works well for getting grips onto bike handlebars. Temporary lubrication followed by non-permanent adhesion.

I can't remember where I saw this, but I remember someone using another method that I thought was pretty clever. They drilled a hole down through the threads - so the drill bit was traveling between the body and the head. Then they put a sheet metal screw or a pin or something into the hole so that the head could not rotate. It would be invisible from the outside of the light and easily reversible.

d1dd1

Enlightened
hairspray works probably more like a glue or sth.

@SnowplowTortoise: I also saw this here in a pic, but I cand find the thread :sigh:

Last edited:

uk_caver

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd recommend the oversize O-ring idea. I think it may have been darkzero who recommended the idea to me (if so, thanks again, darkzero).

At least on my 2AA maglite, mounted as a backup light on the side of my caving helmet, the unlubricated O ring holds the head well fixed even when it ends up being scraped on rock walls, but it's possible to open/adjust the head if desired.

shinbone

Newly Enlightened
There is a thread in this forum which shows one person who drilled a hole down between the threads of the body and head then inserted a metal pin. You'll have to search for it, but there were images showing what was done. looked pretty effective and reversible if it needed to be.

SnowplowTortoise

Newly Enlightened
There is a thread in this forum which shows one person who drilled a hole down between the threads of the body and head then inserted a metal pin. You'll have to search for it, but there were images showing what was done. looked pretty effective and reversible if it needed to be.

That's a great idea! Why didn't I write the exact same thing? :whoopin:

Aircraft800

Flashlight Enthusiast
You are referring to the technique by 3rd_shift shown here:

The head needs to be secured so that it won't turn anymore and tear up the wiring inside. :oops: :mecry:
Drill an 1/8 hole about a quarter to a half inch in like this and put a metal plug in there that sits flush,
or slightly below the top of the hole once inside.
This will jam the threads and stop the head from turning anymore. ;)
SANY0081.jpg

A 2D was used to demonstrate this step, but this works with all C/D Maglites that I know of.
Here is another picture with the head removed again.
SANY0080.jpg

I also use this technique in my LED mods, I use a rivet that I can take out once I remove the bezel:
IMG_5778-1.jpg

nitnapz

Enlightened
aircraft800 - wow i like this :neat, discrete, clever :twothumbs

i hope i don't wreck my custom 2D host :mecry:

EvilPaul2112

Enlightened
I double up a very thin rubber band around the threads, then screw the head on slowly. The rubber band gets wedged in the threads tightly. Its hard, but not difficult to focus and locks on the sweet spot without moving. In addition, its totally reversable without damage.

Raoul_Duke

Enlightened
I use thread tape, The PTFE stuff, for sealing pipe fittings, You can put on as much as you like, and have the tention set, and its still movable, just not that much.

I use it because I always have a roll on me at work...not necisarily the best though when looking at the solutions here, after taking the head of a few times the tape shreds up a bit and i pull it of and rool on a bit more.

I may look into a bigger oring and smearing a bit of the GF's hairspary on with a finger.