Filling out dad's tax return question, SS income only

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Probably a lot of retirees are in this boat. My dad has not worked in several years and lives solely on his social security income. He has not filed a tax return in years but in order to be eligible to receive his $300 tax rebate, he needs to do so for 2007 and has asked for help. I'm wondering if he can just fill out a 1040EZ or because the income is social security, he needs to fill out something different? He has no interest income nor pays any mortgage interest. His only expenses are utilities and property tax.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
I'm in the same boat...I had to fill out the 1040A in order to receive my $300.00 payment (according to the IRS website's little calculator, this is what I expect to receive).

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
Filed for deceased father in law to help out mother in law. She hadn't filed yet. I placed a call to the IRS and sat on hold for 20 minutes to make sure of what I needed to do, at least the music was a few select classic orchestra pieces.
I had to file a joint 1040A and list thier SS income and his Vet retirement income printing DECEASED on his signature blank. Stimulus payment for both should arrive in late June based on her last 2 digits of her SS number.
:thumbsup: