Princeton Tec Torrent LED with Seoul P4: how-to

Yucca Patrol

Enlightened
I wasn't happy with the currently available smaller and affordable AA powered dive lights, especially now that I am spoiled by my Fenix L2D and other current generation LED lights.

After modifying my Princeton Tec Apex headlamp with the Seoul P4 with great results, I had a hunch that the PT Torrent LED likely had the same exact type of stock LED and might be suitable for the same mod since they both were advertised to have "regulated 3 Watt LED's".

Modifying this light was even easier than the Apex.

I don't have a pictorial walkthrough, but it is easy enough to describe and is essentially the same as the Apex headlamp how-to's in the headlamp forum.

1) Remove the top 4 screws on the head of the light. This will allow you to remove the stock optics.
2) The stock optics consists of a chrome reflector and a transparent "lens"
3) Once these are removed, you can remove two silver colored screws to separate the head from the battery holder (this will make it much easier to work with)
4) You can also remove the black plastic insert that centers the LED emitter on the board.
5) There are just two solder connections to desolder and remove the old emitter.
6) Add a bit of thermal paste to the bottom of your new emitter and solder it into place. I found this was easiest if you place the new emitter in the plastic insert to ensure that it is properly centered.
7) Re-assemble light.

I tossed out the transparent plastic lens piece from the stock optic and it gives a much cleaner beam, wider angle flood with a decent bright center spot. For night snorkeling in shallow water, this will be a perfect flashlight and I am thrilled.

When compared to my Fenix L2D, the modified PT Torrent is brighter than the L2D on High and just a bit dimmer than the L2D on turbo. I'd say this is easily 150 lumens and perhaps a bit more because the increased flood pattern is much brigher outside the center spot than the L2D. Certainly a LOT better than the pitiful 47 lumens advertised by Princeton Tec.

Latest posts