Surefure diffuser... floodshots wanted

kramer5150

Flashaholic
I think I am flashaholic bi-polar in my preferences... I seem to prefer a near-pure thrower or a near-pure flood. I often find myself removing the Fraen optic and bezel assembly from my task force... and using it "bare emitter mode". So I am thinking a diffuser lens would make a nice addition to my 6P, almost like getting 2 lights in one.

1-Are there other brands out there besides SF that fit an OEM 6P bezel?
2-Does anyone have beamshots / floodshots of the SF diffuser lens?... A/B comparing it with and without the lens?
3-Is it a "pure" flood kind of output, like a bare emitter? Or does it still have just a little hot-spot?
4-Does it impede the bezels ability to dissipate heat?
5-How durable are these things? Can they withstand say a ~3 foot drop without shattering the diffuser lens?
6-I am also curious how big the diffuser part is... if anyone can post pics that would be great.

Thanks!!! Sorry in advance for the grocery list of questions.

Last edited:

pbs357

Enlightened
I have one, and the beam is much like a bare emitter in that it does send light in a wide pattern. However, with a Dereelight Q5 module behind it, there is still a bit of a "hot spot" in that there is a large center area where the light is a bit stronger than the spill. It's really useful for taming a blazing hotspot from a thrower LED.

The lens is a plastic material, so just falling from 3 feet wouldn't shatter or crack it unless the lens hit something that was sticking out of the ground, like the corner of a concrete step.

As for heat, I use mine on a 6p so it doesn't concern me. Yes, it's plastic so it would insulate heat but with the aluminum head and body I'm not worried. Now, if you were using it on a G2L with just the metal bezel I wouldn't run it for extended periods.

Here's a youtube video of a Surefire red filter, but it's the same exact size as the FM34, just with a red lens instead of a diffused one. www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Kl2KmOE7xE&feature=related

WildChild

Flashlight Enthusiast
Got a F04 beamshaper with my E2L. The beam gets from a bright hotspot to a complete flood with no hotspot at all. The usual spill part of the beam becomes much brighter! Same thing with my E2D (incandescent). I think the window is made of Lexan. It seems to be resistant to scratches (probably not extremely) as I cleaned it a few times without any scratch on it, just like the Lexan window of my G2L. This kind of cleaning would scratch a Maglite window badly! I also wouldn't be worried by the G2L, the P60L module will just dim it a little more so it doesn't overheat. My G2L has the Nitrolon head and I don't see this as a problem!

I'm now at work, I'll take pictures tonight!

aggiegrads

Newly Enlightened
Kramer,

If you live or work in northern San Jose, I'll be glad to show you what a gen 2 L1 looks like with an F04. The Gen 2 L1 is a very tight thrower and matches well with the L1.

PM me if you want to see it "in action."

-Steven

kramer5150

Flashaholic
Thanks for the replies... keep em' coming. Beamshots would be GREAT!

Thanks aggie, I am waiting for a Cree R2 drop in from DX. Let me get that first... if its floody enough by itself, that might suffice.

WildChild

Flashlight Enthusiast
Beamshots

E2L (without/with F04):
img3224uo5.jpg

img3225in7.jpg

E2D with Lumens Factory bulb (without/with F04):
img3226ur9.jpg

img3227up5.jpg

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
You should just get one and try it yourself. You will not be disappointed.

If you want something more permanent you can get a lens with LDF film from flashlightlens.com

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got a F04 for my E1B, or L1, or E2e, and it makes my E1B or L1 much more useful for close range applications. I'm not sure what you need for the 6P, but the F04 was like $12 and was a very worthwhile investment.

pbs357

Enlightened
I got a F04 for my E1B, or L1, or E2e, and it makes my E1B or L1 much more useful for close range applications. I'm not sure what you need for the 6P, but the F04 was like $12 and was a very worthwhile investment.

The Surefire diffuser for 6p sized bezels is the FM34. :wave:

Vikas Sontakke

Enlightened
If I were to read the pictures correctly, the loss in total lumens is enormous with the beamshaper.

- Vikas

pbs357

Enlightened
If I were to read the pictures correctly, the loss in total lumens is enormous with the beamshaper.

- Vikas

A diffuser lens does reduce overall output by some, since the light has to pass through the opaque lens. However, some of the loss is only percieved, since we often percieve brightness by the bright hotspot and not the spill. With the diffuser the idea is to create a wall of light so that the hotspot isn't distracting you from what you are trying to find or see at a range of about 0-15 feet. Thirdly, I will say that although there is overall output loss, some of that may be due to the camera - with a Q5 LED drop in, mine doesn't seem as dim as these pics.

kramer5150

Flashaholic
COOL thanks!!

I'm guessing those pics were taken with a really fast exposure/shutter speed. Even the unfiltered pics look a little dim for a white wall shot.

Last edited:

prime77

Enlightened
Those shots on the edcforums were of my L1. Here is the E1b. The F04 diffuser works great. I imagine the one for the 6P works equally as well.
016.jpg

019.jpg

pbs357

Enlightened
Nice beamshots! Yeah, this is more what it looks like in person. Note how those 2 bushes to the left and right of the tree "appear" as the diffuser spreads more light from the hotspot and into the spill/flood area.