Kaidomain Maglite Q5 Drop-In !!!!

glenda17

Enlightened
He guaranteed us it $29.95 would include the lens, bezel and Q5 dropin. Now its 29.95+19.95+bezel. You can buy a Deerelight thrower for what this setup costs.

Marduke

Flashaholic
What's supposed to keep it in place? No lip on the top of the slug, the light post is spring loaded, and there is nothing keeping it from sliding around and smacking the bottom of the reflector.

Also, anyone else notice the LED on on a very thin post, not exactly well heatsinked. Most of the space under the LED is air, not aluminum.

Also, if you look closely, it's not made out of a single piece of milled aluminum round stock. It's at least 3 different cylinders press fitted together. Any hopes of that magically staying together with some moderate bumping around?

mudman cj

Flashlight Enthusiast
Where corn and pigs are grown unimpeded by trees
There is another problem with press fit cylinders. Heat will be very poorly conducted through those gaps. No gaps you say? On the microscopic level there are peaks and valleys on both surfaces, and usually it's just peaks against peaks. Air is a terrible conductor of heat.

qip

Flashlight Enthusiast
price seems reasonable for what it is, your getting a big heatsink an led and a driver...just fill in any gaps with arctic silver or alumina and your set

Boostedvl

Newly Enlightened
In the specifications section their description of "Illuminate objects at a distance of 600+ feet and will light a 2 inch red reflector at a distance of more than 1/4 mile" seems familiar to me.

Last edited:

clg0159

Enlightened
What's supposed to keep it in place? No lip on the top of the slug, the light post is spring loaded, and there is nothing keeping it from sliding around and smacking the bottom of the reflector.

Also, anyone else notice the LED on on a very thin post, not exactly well heatsinked. Most of the space under the LED is air, not aluminum.

Also, if you look closely, it's not made out of a single piece of milled aluminum round stock. It's at least 3 different cylinders press fitted together. Any hopes of that magically staying together with some moderate bumping around?

This is exactly what I was thinking! That Q5 is practically levitating on that post.

AvidHiker

Enlightened
They both have a heatsink, a LED, plug into a mag socket, so it would make sense there are similarities between them. :ohgeez:

Thank you for that, but I think you missed the point of my comment (and you appear to be trying to insult me, which I think is sad... but if it makes you feel better about yourself, by all means... slap away).
:ohgeez:

The basic design is similar, of course, and it lacks Gene's wedging construction, which would be a blatant ripoff. However, suggesting removal of the cam portion of the stock reflector seemed, to me, to be a pretty unique requirement. One that I only became aware of after discovering Gene's dropin (the first of its kind as far as I know), but perhaps I overreacted. Ok, there are other reflectors that can be used instead, I see that now - I'm by no means an expert on mag dropins, just making an observation.

I certainly don't appreciate your rude post - how about we just have a nice civil conversation, maybe you can make a little more effort to have a point instead of stating the obvious. I'm perfectly happy to adjust my opinion should someone offer me a good reason, but I'm afraid your post added absolutely nothing to the thread and only served label you a "troll" in my eyes.:thumbsdow

kavvika

Enlightened
I know of no single properly-heatsinked (single) LED upgrade that utilizes the stock reflector and doesn't require the cam to be removed, whether it be Gene's or custom. Elektrolumens's modules use a separate attached reflector, otherwise they would require the same to be done.

As for the product itself, it seems like an inexpensive alternative to Gene's module, but I'll wait until the reviews to pass judgement. Would you rather a Terralux module that will overheat just like a stock MagLED, or this, for the same price?

I'm curious as to what driver this uses. I won't be purchasing one since first, I prefer to use "C" Maglites, and second, I'm building my own module using a H22A heatsink and a Photonfanatic Seoul P4 USV0H emitter for around the same price, and construction will undoubtedly be better since I can provide my own QC.

AvidHiker

Enlightened
In the specifications section their description of "Illuminate objects at a distance of 600+ feet and will light a 2 inch red reflector at a distance of more than 1/4 mile" seems familiar to me.

Quite right! Thank you, I completely missed that.

Sad to see this kind of thing happening on such a regular basis these days.

AvidHiker

Enlightened
I know of no single properly-heatsinked (single) LED upgrade that utilizes the stock reflector and doesn't require the cam to be removed, whether it be Gene's or custom. Elektrolumens's modules use a separate attached reflector, otherwise they would require the same to be done.

Yes, I believe I just came to that realization in my previous post (and you did have to qualify that with "properly heatsinked"). Still, I've never seen the idea discussed anywhere else but on Gene's site (granted, its probably buried in an old thread or two somewhere as well), just my observation but I think its clear where some of the text came from for this product description.

As for the product itself, it seems like an inexpensive alternative to Gene's module, but I'll wait until the reviews to pass judgement. Would you rather a Terralux module that will overheat just like a stock MagLED, or this, for the same price?

Ok, rhetorical questions now. Actually, I'd prefer to see some originality instead of cut and paste. Personally (note - I'm not suggesting that you should feel this way) I'm not interested in cheap ripoffs of other products, it just rubs me the wrong way.:shrug:

kavvika

Enlightened
Gotcha. I didn't notice that KD copied part of Gene's product description until after my first post.

But what do you mean by originality? I really only know of one way to LED-ify a Mag, and that's a o-sink with the LED perched on top inside the reflector. And what about all those cheap Cree P60 module ripoffs on the same site? IIRC, BOG was the first company to release a LED upgrade module, then the Cree-volution hit and DX and KD became flooded with them. It wasn't until the middle of last year that Gene produced his P60 module. Not criticizing, but going by what you say, would Gene's module be a rip-off of, say, DX #1343?

EDIT: I re-read your post, and it's possible you meant originality for the product description and not the product itself. If that's the case, then forgive my misunderstanding.