Help My Collection

bratch

Newly Enlightened
I've been a closet flashaholic for a while and have collected a handful of lights.

Now I need some guidance in filling holes in my collection and adding lights that are better suited.

A little background:

I live in OK so I can lose power at anytime. I need lights for getting around the house in the dark and probably a lantern for some more output.

I spend time hunting, fishing, and camping. I could use lights for these task.

Probably 1 for the cars.

Other than that just general uses looking under the couch, in the backyard when the dogs bark, etc. Plus something bright just for fun.

Now onto what I already have:

2: Surefire G2
1: Streamlight Twintask 2 CR123
2: Streamlight Twintask 3 AA
1: Streamlight TL-2
1: Streamlight TL-2 LED
1: Streamlight WOW
2: Inova X1
3: Inova X5
1: Inova X0
2: Mini Mags

Everything is stock.

Looking forward to your ideas.
Thanks guys

Gunner12

Flashaholic
You can probably buy a bunch of RC-N3s(apparently one of my favorite budget lights that I don't have) for the stuff around the house. AA powered, good quality, good output, and pretty cheap. Probably good for gifts/loaner lights too.

How much would you like to spend?
Would you like something that throws far?
Would a headlamp help?

Also check this thread for P60 drop-ins(referring to the G2). I'd suggest lower powered ones to prevent overheating.

Last edited:

schiesz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Get a dropin for the G2 from malkoffdevices.com. The M60L will be brighter than everything else you have and last for hours. That is where I would start.

schiesz

bratch

Newly Enlightened
Budget is pretty open. I enjoy quality and don't mind paying however I usually don't want to pay 2-3x the cost for 10-20% more performance.

I think I'd like one light with throw. My parents live on 180 acres and I spend some time down there. Throw seems llike it would be a nice thing there.

I was just thinking I needed another headlamp. I had a River Rock but the dogs ate it.

I'll look at the drop in and other lights.

jufam44

Enlightened
If you're willing to wait, a Surefire UA2 might fit your bill. Throw and flood in the same light, over 200 surefire lumens, and a decent run time. I'm not sure if you are willing to stomach the price, but it will indeed be a sight to be seen.

Zenster

Enlightened
Not telling you what to do here, just offering some ideas for your consideration:

A little background:

I live in OK so I can lose power at anytime. I need lights for getting around the house in the dark and probably a lantern for some more output.

You've already got plenty of lights for getting around the house, but you could add a Surefire E1L/Dual for it's hellacious runtime.

For a lantern, consider an Elektrolumens Blaster 1-D. Works GREAT as a lantern (tailstand and bounce light off the ceiling, and will run 40+ hours on a single D cell battery). Plus, it puts out a very nice "walk around" beam for when you pick it up and use it for what it actually is; a flashlight.

I spend time hunting, fishing, and camping. I could use lights for these task.

Surefire 6P w/Malkoff M60L will be plenty bright for the above tasks, and also run for better than 4 hours on one pair of CR123's.

Probably 1 for the cars.

Maglight 3D-Cell fitted with an Elektrolumens Monster Throw III would make a great car light because it's a wonderful floody with really good throw as well. From changing tires to finding your dog lost in the woods, this'll do it, and I suggest the "III" (there's a VI and a V) because the III will run for 5 hours on 3 D cells.

Other than that just general uses looking under the couch, in the backyard when the dogs bark, etc. Plus something bright just for fun.

You've got plenty of lights for general use, but if you want to add to that category, consider ANY of the Surefire single-cells like the E1L, E1B, or L1.
Additionally, for a helluva lot of great LED fun, don't be afraid to spend the money on a Novatac 120P. You won't understand why it's worth the money until you actually own one.

For something bright and fun, check out the CL1H w/3SD module. With that module, you can ONLY use 18650 rechargeables (CR123's will damage the module), but that means it will run for "free" as much as you want.
It's one of the brightest available, and the fun part is that it's one of the few multi-level lights that has a memory so you don't have to click through the settings every time you turn it on. It will turn on at the last level you used it at, plus, runtimes are amazing on the medium (still very bright) and low settings.

Looking forward to your ideas.
Thanks guys

Taboot

Enlightened
You can usually find a Surefire M6 on Ebay or B/S/T for around $300. I think it is the coolest stock incan light you can buy. Everyone should have at least one!!

scottaw

Enlightened
I would definately go with a headlamp, they're invaluable for outdoors activities. Try princeton tec or zebralight.

And a P60 drop in will be worth the money, WAAAAY more than a 20% increase, we're talking 3-4 times the light, AND runtime.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
An AA powered Fenix or Olight might also be a good addition.

Multimode and powered by common batteries.

The Zebralight would also be a good headlamp, along with an LED thrower(Dereelight DBS) and maybe even a HID(N30) if you need tons of output.

houtex

Enlightened
Though I have many lights,the one that I use the most is the First-Light Tomahawk. I have the 3 colored 3 mode version. I use the brightest level white mostly then the red. The thing that makes me have it with me all the time is the deep carry clip. Once I put it on my belt it stays there. It was kinda pricey but no more than any other high end light.