The Fenix-Store        
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: beginner road bike???

*Flashaholic*

Default Re: beginner road bike???

robo, don't buy low quality shorts. do save $$ by finding closeout prices.

you can't go wrong with Pearl Isumi shorts. they have some of the best fabric and most importantly padding that's the correct thickness. pearl isumi uses a special density foam.

you will love these!

here's an excellent buy... still $47 but a top of the line shorts.
    -------------------

Pearl Izumi Classic 3D Race Short

The 8 panel design, flatlocked seams and ergonomic cut make this short comfortable on even the longest rides. Pearl Izumi's 3D Race Chamois with 12mm of variable density foam will keep you comfortable by moving with you. Custom Pearl Izumi spandex leg gripper keeps them in place.

Item No. » PI-CRS

Reg $79.99 Now $47.99 40% Off!

http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?c...at%3A%20Shorts

*Mammoth Killer*

Cy my first ride was using a borrowed pair of LG shorts that fit well however the spandex material always did feel "itchy" to me. I think I will try the Pearl brand spandex type and also try the looser type shorts with the padded under liner.

Maybe it was just due to my first ride but the traditional type spandex pants and equally tight jersey was very uncomfortable. I feel it was due much to the clothes being borrowed so I will take your advice and try some better quality stuff that is actually my size.

My sinuses are acting up with allergies and my chest is congested however I still plan on riding Saturday evening. I actually am trying those nose strips to improve my breathing and they work pretty well. The shorts I bought tonight claim to have some type of gel padding but for now it will have to do. I used a little baby powder last time for comfort and my g/f wants me to try this slick lotion stuff designed for bikers to prevent chaffing....not so sure about that but guess it cant hurt to try.
    Is that an ARC in your pocket or are you just small like that?

*Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by Robocop View Post
    The group advice is good however for now I will stay solo of with my g/f.
    Honestly, I think you're better off this way. I've never ridden in a group ride for several reasons. The primary one is that I'd rather ride on my own schedule. I usually tend to ride early to late evening. Many local group rides are in the mornings when I can barely walk, let alone ride. Besides that, there's always the chance one of the riders ahead of you will go down, taking some of those behind with them. Add in the fact that I'd say most of the local group rides are stuff like Critical Mass which attracts a bunch of novice riders, and I'd rather just stay away. By novice rider I'm referring here to someone who only rides in these events, and has zero desire to improve their riding skill beyond extreme amateur (i.e. they're happy coasting along at 8 mph, oblivious to most of the obstacles in their path). Obviously this isn't fun for me riding in such a group. I doubt it would be for you, either, since you seem serious about sport.

Granted, there are some places with great group rides so if you eventually find one locally and want to try it then by all means do so. For me personally it's just not my cup of tea. I usually ride solo, or at most with one other person.

The shop has me one on hold however did say that it is very rare to break a chain with weekend riding. They did say however that if it happens it is impossible to repair in the field without tools and links.
    In over 57000 miles of riding I've broken a chain maybe 3 times, perhaps four. It's a very rare occurance, even for someone like me who tends to accelerate hard. Yes, it is impossible to repair in the field without tools (which I didn't have). If you plan on carrying a chain tool and master link, I might also suggest a pair of gloves which cover your entire hands (not cycling gloves). Working with the chain leaves your hands pretty messy. Gloves avoid transferring this mess to the rest of the bike as you ride back home. They also come in handy if you have to repair a rear flat (which involves manipulating the chain to get the rear wheel off).

Flashaholic*

If you have the extra master link why would you need the chain tool? Once the link is broken it can be pried apart. I find the SRAM link does work on Shimano chains despite the claims to the contrary. I have never broken a road chain but have broken a couple Mtn chains back in the day when you press fit the links using the tool. I think they have gotten stronger since.

I would recommend carrying a pump even if you have CO2. I have had CO2 let me down before. It is also pretty common to get a flat immediately after you fixed the first flat. I had this happen the other day. You need to search for what caused the flat and remove it. Even if you find the first thorn sometimes there are two or three more that haven't worked there way through. So you need to learn how to patch a tube even if you carry a spare tube. I only carry the Co2 in the winter when I don't want to spend a lot of time on the flat.

Ask if your shop teaches basic bike maintenance classes, they probably do.
    Light is the activity of what is transparent - Aristotle

+

~ Glad to see people enjoyed my misspelling of 'snack'.

Cycling shorts are only as good as the chamois. I have a couple of different types of shorts, most often I reach for these:

http://www.excelsports.com/new.asp?p...ajor=4&minor=7

While riding, I never think about them. That brings up a good point...
    ~ If I have to think about any piece of my gear/bike while riding, its not preforming well.
    My focus is on my rhythm and whats around me.

You don't need a master link if you have a chain tool, that's up to you if you want to carry that,... me, no thanks.

I'm really not concerned about breaking a chain. You have to learn to back off on your power while shifting, especially down shifting.
    This is most important in mtn. biking where gear anticipation is key.
    Last edited by orbital; 05-03-2008 at 07:29 AM. Reason: :)

Quote Originally Posted by cave dave View Post
    If you have the extra master link why would you need the chain tool? Once the link is broken it can be pried apart.
    Because outright breakage is not the only scenario where he might want to use the master link and/or repair the chain. To name several other equally likely scenarios: (1) a bad chainsuck resulting in a twist in the chain; (2) a stiff link that cannot be worked loose by hand; and (3) a half-broken link where the outer plates are still fully engaged on one pin. I've occasionally seen customers with actual severed chain plates too, although that's pretty rare. But as long as they're still on the pins, you still need a chain tool. Or a cell phone, I guess

Anyway, I carry the CT-5, and also the wonderful little MT-1 that orbital shows in his photo

You don't need a master link if you have a chain tool, that's up to you if you want to carry that,... me, no thanks.
    For novices, master links are simpler than learning the art of driving chain pins well, so it's more of a "sure thing" for in-the-field repairs, is why I tend to suggest them. They're small, light and cheap, and they leave the chain the same length that it was before, so hey
    Last edited by mechBgon; 05-03-2008 at 08:53 AM.

*Flashaholic*

chain breakage for me is a rare event. 30k+ miles without breakage... got to feeling smug, so started leaving chain tool at home.

yup, you guessed it. my first chain broke under hard cranking. it was flat embarrassing having to barrow a chain tool and spare link from my buddy.

in all fairness that was on the Lightning F-40 which uses a super long chain. but that little event did get me carrying my chain tool/spare link again.

have never had a chain jam for a road bike. but have jammed loads of times for a triple mountain bike type setup. sometimes so bad, chain was twisted beyond repair. but chain always got me home.

because maintenance is always done on my bike. tools that I carry almost always get used on other folks bikes.

there's a bike ride across the state of Okla called Freewheel. it's been going on for a number of years. just about the most fun you can have on wheels!!! http://www.okfreewheel.com/

anyways... riding Freewheel got to be a regular event and I always carried a pretty full set of tools. word got out and all I was doing was working on bikes

so I started leaving my tools at home

there's a ride called Ragbrai across Iowa. have never done it, but I hear it's wall to wall riders and loads of fun! http://www.ragbrai.org/

*Mammoth Killer*

Ok 2nd time out we did 20 miles and my top speed was 41.5 mph downhill with an average of 15 mph all around. It was great and the small adjustments made last time really worked well. I must say my legs are toast right now but no pain in my knees...that is the best part for me.

Of all the equipment I have bought the best investment thus far has been these 6 dollar socks. I first laughed when my g/f advised to get expensive and specially made socks....I assumed all socks were the same but man was I wrong. These are silky smooth and no blisters after an entire day of riding...they feel like silk on my feet. The thicker padding in my new shorts was also great. I used this sports balm stuff that was called body glide and have zero chaffing with no discomfort.....much better ride this time than last.

The only nagging problem is my right fingers seem to go numb after maybe 10 miles. This happened in the past when I was racing motorcycles and I am really not sure what causes it. I can reposition my hands or shake it off while riding but it always returns. I think I may be leaning too much on my wrists or too far forward with my arms locked. My upper body is so strong I tend to try and use it for controlling everything or every motion....maybe if I relax a little more I dont know but I plan to ask the shop shop if they can help.

+

Robo, sound like your really havin' a thrill!
    Glad to hear things are getting sorted with your cycling.

My guess is, the slight numbness in your hands will start to dissipate.
    A while back I was getting some hand numbness while road riding, after a number of rides, it went away.

I find shaking/waving my hands at the very first sign of numbness helps alot.
    ~ You are still finding your riding position while on the bike ect...give it a little time.

Try not to grab your bars overly hard,.. think of holding them as light as possible while still having complete control.
    Also be relaxed, yeah I know that sound conflicting while doing something athletic,..but your bike handling & smoothness will improve.

Keep your head up..., look far ahead of you.
    Last edited by orbital; 05-04-2008 at 08:18 AM. Reason: add

*Flashaholic*

Ok 2nd time out we did 20 miles and my top speed was 41.5 mph downhill with an average of 15 mph all around.
    Honestly, I'd say you would have no trouble at all keeping up with me. Most of my rides average between 13.5 and 16 mph overall, including stops for red lights. I might average 17 or 18 mph once in a blue moon, but that's rare in a city with a gazillion obstacles to slow you down. I guess there aren't any stamina or strength issues with you. You seem to already be in great shape. Wow, 41.5 mph! That's a speed I rarely reach these days. Just not enough places locally to safely do it.

The only nagging problem is my right fingers seem to go numb after maybe 10 miles. This happened in the past when I was racing motorcycles and I am really not sure what causes it. I can reposition my hands or shake it off while riding but it always returns. I think I may be leaning too much on my wrists or too far forward with my arms locked. My upper body is so strong I tend to try and use it for controlling everything or every motion....maybe if I relax a little more I dont know but I plan to ask the shop shop if they can help.
    Have you ever had yourself checked for carpal tunnel syndrome? I have it, and I sometimes experience this problem 10 or 15 miles into a ride. Also, one thing which has worked for me with pain in the past has been vitamin B12. When I start getting severe pain in my hands, and sometimes feet, that means I have inflammation. Vitamin B12 usually greatly reduces this within a week. It might help you if the problem is mild inflammation rather than the way you're positioning yourself.

*Mammoth Killer*

My g/f actually has to take B-12 shots and claims it does wonders. I may look into this and see if it helps. My hands have been broken before with many "boxer" fractures from work as well as play. I simply may have crappy circulation as well however the carpel tunnell thing makes sense and I never thought of that......many weight lifters have this when they get older so maybe it is the cause.

I may be gripping the bars too tight as well. I was playing around yesterday and found I was very more comfortable when I gripped the bar on the top and allowed my elbows to be bent slightly. If I did not pay attention I quickly found myself locking out my arms straight with my whole upper body rigid.

Still getting my road legs and the hills kill me but I made it. I now see what the term "grinding" means when it comes to going up hills. Yesterday we had a hill that was deceptive....you really could not tell it was a hill until you started up it. It was maybe 1 and 1/2 mile long with a steady but very gradual rise. Man my legs were like jello and it seemed like it would never stop rising.

Going out again today if I can....more of a nice flat area in a local neighborhood. Should be an easier ride and a little time to focus on relaxing more to see if it helps the numbness.

The only nagging problem is my right fingers seem to go numb after maybe 10 miles. This happened in the past when I was racing motorcycles and I am really not sure what causes it. I can reposition my hands or shake it off while riding but it always returns. I think I may be leaning too much on my wrists or too far forward with my arms locked.
    In an earlier post MrMimizu had suggested a "recumbent" bicycle. However, there is another alternative known as the "crank forward" bicycle. The geometry of the diamond frame is slightly relaxed, greatly reducing the pressure on the wrists. Actually, MrMimizu provided a link to the company, RANS. This is a link to their road bike model: Zenetik Pro. They also have an information site: Crank Forward.

*Mammoth Killer*

The crank forward design is interesting however I have already purchased a bike. After 15 miles today I paid special attention to my posture and the grip on the bars. I still had a little numbness however not nearly as often as last time. It seems when I keep my arms relaxed and slightly bent it keeps the numbness away.

I had a very high fever last night and was just sick most of the day. I rode anyway however my chest and throat were sore. I am really looking forward to a weekend where I can ride with good weather and also ride without being sick. All in all I did pretty well and really enjoyed myself.....thanks for all the help.

*Mammoth Killer*

I noticed when I would often run that after a few miles my body would just get kind of numb all over. Once I got to that point I could run all day however I have not seen this happen yet with riding.

All day long I could feel every pedal stroke and I was unable to find the sweet spot or zone where my body just went on automatic....My breathing was also harder to regulate than what I remember from jogging. I really like this riding however I do feel I will keep it as a recreational hobby rather than a competetive event. As fun as it is for me I do feel that my body is just not designed for serious riding.

*Mammoth Killer*

Also forgot to mention however I found out just how important tire pressure is to ride quality. My first ride I forgot to air my tires and shortly after I finished I found they were low.

The latest ride I topped both off at about 120 psi and I could feel a huge difference. Now that I am riding more I am amazed to see how many people ride locally here. I never noticed much before however now I see bikes everywhere. I also find myself looking closely at what type bike they have as well as equipment.

I am now torn between incandescent or LED for a bike light. I will probably go with the LED as I really do not plan to ride much at night and will need a light mostly to warn drivers in low light conditions and not to really light my path with.

*Flashaholic*

robo, here's the best taillight I've seen so far.
    greenled came up with this a few months back.

it's got a red luxeon and flashes bright enough to be seen in bright daylight. super long runtimes and reasonably priced at under $20.

best tactic is to use what lights you've got first, mounted with a twofish cycloblock. 4sevens has got twofish blocks. superflash below is mounted with a twofish block. very_secure to hold your precious lights.

currently using two HID lights. ARC HID helmet mount and HID Storm on handlebars. but that's getting overkill for most folks...

two HID's really lights up your bike on par with most cars. really increases margin of safety when riding at night.

*Mammoth Killer*

Cy I like that tail light and am looking online later tonight for the best cost.

I just found out that about 45 minutes from me is a trail made for road bikes. From what I have read it is an old railroad bed that has been paved and is not open to traffic other than cyclists. If I read it correct there is one 33 mile section that connects to another part for something like 90 miles of traffic free riding. It seems that it runs all the way from Northern Alabama into some parts of Georgia. I found many links and am still researching it however I have spoken with some local riders who say it is a beautiful ride.

One link I found was on a forum however it gives you an idea of the area. My g/f and I are thinking about taking a weekend and driving there to ride all weekend and stay there at night in a hotel......sounds like fun to me.

http://www.bikeforums.net/archive/in.../t-248769.html

*Flashaholic*

sounds like big time fun!

Tulsa has a rails to trails project that's been going on for 10+ years. proud to say we've got 50+ miles of trails in and around Tulsa.

these are protected trails that only pedestrian and bikes use. rails to trails conversion paths typically have gentle rises and most often protection from winds.

very_nice trails to ride!!

Cy I like that tail light and am looking online later tonight for the best cost.
    The SuperFlash is sweet, and its stock mount is also very good (as long as you don't attach it upside down). Aim the light dead-level so the hotspot of the beam is aimed right at the drivers... I've seen far too many lights rendered ineffective by being aimed wrong (usually downwards).

You may also see the SuperFlash Stealth, which has a black body and clear lens (but the same red LEDs, of course).

Flashaholic*

More info about the Chief Ladiga Trail trail:
    http://www.trailsfromrails.com/chief_ladiga_trail.htm

official site:
    http://epic.jsu.edu/clt/index.html

The new PT bike blinky promises to be brighter than the superflash
    Last edited by cave dave; 05-08-2008 at 03:33 PM.
    Light is the activity of what is transparent - Aristotle

*Mammoth Killer*

Many of the websites I found on the trail were not updated however it is now completed and joins to the silver comet trail running into Georgia. Local riders here say it is beautiful and start to finish is over 100 miles of traffic free riding with smooth paved roads. It runs through several small towns and allows places to stop for snacks and supplies.

I plan to do a few more 25 mile rides locally and maybe try for 100 miles in a few weeks on the Ladiga Trail.

*Mammoth Killer*

Holy smoke what a day to ride....I did 45 miles on the Ladiga Trail with an average of 18 mph and a top speed of 32 on a flat road with almost no incline. Took about 2.5 hours and was simply a great day.

The trail goes for over 100 miles and I stopped short of the Ga border to ride back to my vehicle. The trail goes through the countryside and over many rivers complete with covered bridges and mountain views. The cool part is that it is mostly flat for over 100 miles. The hills are gradual and never even feel that hard to climb as it is pretty flat and paved the entire way.

My crazy belief that I was some natural super cyclist has now faded as my legs are toast and my butt feels like it is on fire. I hope to work up to less pain however I really am enjoying myself. My bike now has 135 miles on it and I plan to get it serviced this week before riding again next weekend.

Holy smoke what a day to ride....I did 45 miles on the Ladiga Trail with an average of 18 mph and a top speed of 32 on a flat road with almost no incline. Took about 2.5 hours and was simply a great day.

My crazy belief that I was some natural super cyclist has now faded as my legs are toast and my butt feels like it is on fire. I hope to work up to less pain however I really am enjoying myself. My bike now has 135 miles on it and I plan to get it serviced this week before riding again next weekend.
    Dude, 45 miles at an average of 18 miles per hour tells me you ARE a natural super cyclist!

I'd definitely recommend the Planet Bike Superflash blinky that cy mentioned. It will give you the most for your money and is *extremely* effective, even in daylight. It's impossible for a motorist not to notice it and they will literally change lanes to give you more than enough space. It flashes like a police flasher, which demands attention. My guess is that when people see it, they think "police." People that I show it to actually ask me if it's legal and if the police will stop you (me) for using it! I tell them that it's legal as long as it's not blue. (am I right?)

Quote Originally Posted by Trashman View Post
    Dude, 45 miles at an average of 18 miles per hour tells me you ARE a natural super cyclist!

I'd definitely recommend the Planet Bike Superflash blinky that cy mentioned. It will give you the most for your money and is *extremely* effective, even in daylight. It's impossible for a motorist not to notice it and they will literally change lanes to give you more than enough space. It flashes like a police flasher, which demands attention. My guess is that when people see it, they think "police." People that I show it to actually ask me if it's legal and if the police will stop you (me) for using it! I tell them that it's legal as long as it's not blue. (am I right?)
    If they haven't hassled me for using my Nova BULL emergency-vehicle strobe or my DiNotte 140R, both of which completely annihilate the SuperFlash, then I think you're safe And AFAIK it's street-legal in all the US.

Also, congrats Robocop for enjoying your ride, and for turning in a very respectable speed as well! Our weather took a sudden turn for the hotter, and higher humidity than usual too, so my own ride home called for a little restraint while I get acclimated to the weather.

*Mammoth Killer*

Well thanks for the compliment however I do feel pretty sore and very tired right now. My g/f says I have done very well to be a beginner however I really believe the bike is doing much of the work. I am happy that I did much research before buying.

I have an order that I am preparing at Nashbar and am considering a few lights. I have found the superflash and think I will get that light. Funny it was mentioned however I have a very small flashing LED that is ran on 2 button cells. It was designed to wear on my belt at night when working out in traffic and it is about the size of a dime. It flashes red and blue and looks like a small police strobe. This may come in handy as well.

I really like the riding trail and it was very nice to not have to worry about cars. In the summer I believe I will restrict my night rides to protected trails just to be safe anyway. I am camping this friday and plan to finish up Saturday with enough time to start where we left off and ride the rest of the trail....or at least another 50 mile section. The really beautiful sections are said to be in Georgia so we are starting this Saturday about 15 miles from the state line.

I have maybe 135 miles on the bike and I am wondering if I should have it tuned before riding again. What is the average mileage between tune ups? Should I check the cables for stretch and maybe the brakes? I have rode mostly smooth surfaces also however have at times ran over a few potholes and off the shoulder of the road......should I check my tires for trueness?

Robo, congrats on your riding!

Once your have the bars & saddle set to where you like it and are comfortable, your bike is just an extension of you.
    ~ Cycling is really about challenging oneself and enjoying the outdoors,.. that's it.

Regarding your bike tune up;

*Spin your wheels to see if they are out of 'true'.
    *Check to see if there is any 'play' in your headset (there probably isn't any).
    ***Most likely, the only thing needed is a little increase of cable tension because you'll have a tiny bit of cable stretch.
    {you turn your barrel adjusters counterclockwise to increase tension, you'll only need 1 or 2 half turns}...

Flashaholic*

Robocop, you must still be a young guy. I never could hold 18 mph for 45 miles, regardless of my age. I think I used to average around 17 mph but that probably dropped further still if I did a longer ride in which I certain consider 45 miles to be a longer ride.
    I live in a van down by the river

*Mammoth Killer*

Geepondy while I am in very good shape for my age I am 39 years old and bumping real close to the big 40. I feel I am doing well with my riding however do see many locals who are much better than myself.

The numbers given for my last ride came from my CatEye Strada cycle computer and I am not sure how accurate those things are however my G/F computer showed the same numbers. The ride was indeed 45 miles and was mostly flat so it was easy to keep a good pace. I had a few gradual downhill slopes where I pushed a little and got to 32 mph. I had a few uphills that were very gradual and kept maybe a 13 mph pace on those. I guess the computer figured an average of 18 mph however I did not keep an 18 mph pace the entire 45 miles. I do remember looking down at my computer often and indeed was usually at 18 mph or close to it however kept that pace for maybe 7 miles before hitting a gradual hill.

I honestly do not feel I could have kept a true 18 mph pace for 45 miles even if it was perfectly flat terrain. This weekend I plan to ride if not camping and I may experimant just to see how fast I can go for maybe 10 miles. I bought this bike to really just stay in shape and have no plans for becoming a racer or even group riding so really any pace for me is a good one right now.

I am still learning the basics such as gear shifting and what gear to be in as well as pedaling. I am trying to keep a conscious thought on pulling with my legs as well as pushing. I was not used to clip in pedals but find with correct use they are much more efficient. I am also working on my breathing and basically how to get the most enjoyment as well as exercise from riding. I am still trying to get used to the saddle and have managed to keep chaffing to a minimum....but I am still is very sore right now in certain places.

*Flashaholic*

I honestly do not feel I could have kept a true 18 mph pace for 45 miles even if it was perfectly flat terrain. This weekend I plan to ride if not camping and I may experimant just to see how fast I can go for maybe 10 miles. I bought this bike to really just stay in shape and have no plans for becoming a racer or even group riding so really any pace for me is a good one right now.
    18 mph is a great average speed even for a seasoned cyclist. As I said earlier, most of my rides are between 13.5 to 16 mph but this accounts for having to stop/slow down fairly often, even on night rides, due to red lights, poor street condition, traffic, etc. No idea what I could do unfettered since it just isn't possible here, but I suspect it wouldn't be a whole lot better than 18 mph over 45 miles. The only time I was able to go 10 miles continuously as rapidly as I could was in college along US Route 1. It took me 25 minutes along this mostly flat or gently sloping highway on a not so great department store bike. No way I could ever do that in the city. I did manage the 14.6 miles from my house to city limits and back in 45 minutes total a couple of times when there was minimal traffic. Even that wasn't totally unfettered riding but it was still a 19.5 mph average speed.

I'll also add that a lot depends upon the bike. Last week I did a 16 mile ride at an average speed of 15.5 mph on the lousy, heavy blue bike. I'm sure on a decent bike like yours or my Raleigh I would have went about 2 to 3 miles further in the same time given that effort. Anyway, my hat's off to you! You're putting up some really great numbers for any cyclist, let alone a novice, and apparently enjoying it as well.

The numbers given for my last ride came from my CatEye Strada cycle computer and I am not sure how accurate those things are however my G/F computer showed the same numbers.
    Your Strada can be custom-calibrated to your exact tire size, if you want the best possible accuracy. Pump your tires up, measure the exact distance that your bike rolls in one revolution of the front wheel while you're sitting on it, then enter that number into the Strada as the wheel circumference.

It sounds so simple when I say it like that Working from memory, I believe you bring up the ODO reading, then hit the MENU button on the underside of the computer. The current wheel circumference appears, with the rightmost digit flashing. Clicking the computer's white rubber tailbutton advances the digit that's flashing. Holding the white rubber tailbutton for a couple seconds brings you to the next digit. When all four digits are entered, hit MENU again to resume operation.

Doing a precise wheel-circumference measurement may be easier with a helper. Mark the tire, line the mark up precisely with a mark on the floor, sit on the bike (with your weight on it, as if you were riding) and roll as straight as possible until the mark is at the ground again. Have your helper mark the ground there, then measure the distance between the two marks with a metric tape measure.

I don't know about anyone else, but I need a while to get warmed up before my body feels like going at a decent pace. So if I tried to go fast for 10 miles, I'd spend part of it just getting to where I'm firing on all cylinders On a rolling 20-mile route, my Paramount currently manages about 18.5mph (two-way average) at an average heart rate of around 160bpm, if it's not too hot out. Bolting on my aero bar could get me another 2mph at cruising speeds, but I usually don't use it.
    Last edited by mechBgon; 05-19-2008 at 01:45 AM.

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast