HDS Systems        
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
Results 211 to 240 of 264

Thread: beginner road bike???

  1. #211
    Moderator
    *Mammoth Killer*
    Robocop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Birmingham Al.
    Posts
    2,594

    Default Re: beginner road bike???

    MechBgon my Strada computer was installed by the bike shop and I do remember he measured my tire. I had a cheap computer already bought however returned it before I even used it. I had a credit at the shop so I used it for the better Strada.

    The riding trail has really spoiled me as it was so very nice to be able to go flat out and not worry at all about traffic. There were times I was looking ahead and as far as I could see was paved roadway without any obstructions. The trail winds through the countryside and all you can smell is honeysuckles and fresh air....it is truly a great way to spend a Saturday. The first few miles was crowded with a few riders however not many went more than 5 miles out so once you get pretty far into the ride other riders were not that common.

    I am still having a little trouble with my fingers going numb however this has always been a problem. I rode motorcycles for many years and also had the same issue on longer rides. I dont believe it is the fit and think it is mainly my riding position. If I try to concentrate and keep a little bend in my elbows it seems to not happen. I hope as I become more relaxed and learn to pedal a little more efficient I can keep the tingling out of my fingers.

    My legs are strong however when pedaling at maximum effort I do feel the pain after a few miles. My g/f says she can not keep up however after a few miles I tend to slow down. Remember the story about the turtle and the hare racing? The turtle always catches the rabbit because he used up all his energy and has nothing to finish with...hehe

    I am learning how to pace myself and best use my strength to my advantage. I have already noticed that each ride becomes easier however again I am far from an experienced rider. I had to stop training my legs with heavy weights due to my knees becoming sore. I also had to stop running as jogging can really be hard on your knees and joints. I hope that riding will let me continue to stay in shape as well as develope my legs without knee problems.

    I plan to do maybe 3 more rides over the next few weeks with each ride at about 50 miles. Within a month I would like to take an entire day and go for a 100 mile ride. I plan to do these on the riding trail and build my endurance and after that maybe I can have enough experience to ride throughout the city streets. I figure if I can get 50 miles or even 100 on the flatter riding trail the 25 mile weekend rides on the more hilly terrain of the city will be easy.

    My last ride before the riding trail was maybe 20 miles or so and it was at a local park. There were some pretty tough hills with the largest being maybe 3/4 of a mile. This was entirely different than the riding trail and those hills really slowed me down. My legs were aching halfway up however I was able to make it. I plan to also try this ride again soon and see if it is any easier once I get a little more practice.
    Is that an ARC in your pocket or are you just small like that?

  2. #212
    Flashaholic*
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    4,894

    Default Re: beginner road bike???

    Holy cow then that is even more impressive. I figured you were maybe in your mid 20s. When I was in my 20s, I could go out and do things like that (but not quite as fast as your time) relatively from scratch although I might suffer the next day. Now that I'm 45, I really have to work my way up and my first few rides of the season are under 20 miles. When and if I do get in decent biking shape which varies from year to year, I tend to go for quality over quantity. Most of my trips are in the 20-25 mile range but I try to get some good hills in and if get in decent enough shape, will try to stand up and pound the hills some.

    Quote Originally Posted by Robocop View Post
    Geepondy while I am in very good shape for my age I am 39 years old and bumping real close to the big 40. I feel I am doing well with my riding however do see many locals who are much better than myself.

    T
    I live in a van down by the river

  3. #213
    Moderator
    *Mammoth Killer*
    Robocop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Birmingham Al.
    Posts
    2,594

    Default Re: beginner road bike???

    Geepondy thanks again for the compliments however I do feel my age at times. Look back through this thread and you can see some photos of my body style as well as my new bike. I have been told by many I am not built like a roadbike rider however I feel I am doing pretty well.

    Genetics play a good part of it as I have always been pretty muscular however have done some type of strength training most of my life. I also believe a healthy lifestyle help play a part as I have never drank alcohol nor smoked and I do not eat fried foods. My only weaknes is down home southern sweet tea and I drink it daily.....love the stuff.

    I was really humbled after visiting the local bike shops and saw first hand at the shape some of the serious riders are in. I honestly have no desire to eat sleep and breath riding however I do plan to ride at least once or twice weekly. I believe I will improve however for now I am very pleased just to be able to keep up with my g/f as she is a very powerful rider with much more experience.....and a very sweet full carbon bike.
    Is that an ARC in your pocket or are you just small like that?

  4. #214
    Moderator
    *Mammoth Killer*
    Robocop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Birmingham Al.
    Posts
    2,594

    Default Re: beginner road bike???

    Quick update....Had my first service done today and the shop went over the bike cleaning,adjusting cables, brakes, and derailers. I have developed a lot better riding position with no more chaffing or saddle sores and am actually slowly becoming more excited with each ride.

    My knees are pretty much pain free except for minor soreness from pushing hard on hills. My hamstrings had to get used to pulling with the clip in pedals and I have learned the value of warming up completely before each ride......it makes a big difference. I can tackle 40 miles pretty easy now and usually keep an average of 18 to 20 mph. reached a new top speed today of 45.2 mph on a gradual downhill sprint. I am thinking I would not want to push it much faster however it is a thrill like I have never known to actually go that fast on pedal power alone.

    I am going to try for 100 miles this weekend on the Ladiga Trail so we shall see just how far my endurance has came since that first ride. I have yet to fall using these crazy clip in shoes however feel it is only a matter of time...many close calls regardless. So far my closest call with disaster is from driving off the side of the paved surface while not paying attention. These thin tires do not do well at all off road to say the least however I was able to slowly get back on the road.

    I will let you all know how the 100 mile attempt goes.....
    Is that an ARC in your pocket or are you just small like that?

  5. #215
    Flashaholic* iced_theater's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Green River, Wyoming
    Posts
    819

    Default Re: beginner road bike???

    Your in far better shape than I'm in, I don't know if I could even do 40 miles straight though I've never tried either, let alone at 18-20 mph average.

    I have went faster, but only because of the steepness of the hill. Pedaling had no effect on my bike after 40 mph on my top speed run of 53.3 mph. That's the last time I'll do that though as going that fast with as little protection as a person wears while bicycling is extremely dangerous.

  6. #216
    Moderator
    *Mammoth Killer*
    Robocop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Birmingham Al.
    Posts
    2,594

    Default Re: beginner road bike???

    Believe me I had the same thoughts about going down also....those thin spandex shorts would be of little use sliding across the pavement. I liked the feeling of knowing I could get to over 40 mph however really will most likely not see that speed very much. The bike itself was very stable however and I believe it could handle 50 mph easily.

    On a side note I just watched some youtube videos of MechBgon and those night time rides in the snow.....now that is some serious riding and I have no desire to test my winter skills to that extreme.....very amazing video by the way.
    Is that an ARC in your pocket or are you just small like that?

  7. #217
    Moderator
    *Mammoth Killer*
    Robocop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Birmingham Al.
    Posts
    2,594

    Default Re: beginner road bike???

    With my distances increasing weekly (went over 50 miles today) I am now more picky as to what I carry in my small seat bag. I began to worry about a flat tire far away from home so I purchased a small frame pump. I picked up the Second Wind hybrid pump/Co2 for about 29 dollars and it is small and very lite. It is designed to use the Co2 cartridge as well as manual pumping and I have a spare tube that I carry also.

    Problem is that I can find little online as to reviews or proper usage. The instructions are limited that came with it however it seems pretty straight forward as to correct usage. I did find a forum post in another link that spoke of problems destroying valve stems with these small pumps. The link did not say much more so I am a little worried now. Has anyone got experience with these small pumps and is there something I should do to make sure I do not destroy my tubes when trying to repair a flat? The actual model I bought is in the link below however I do not think mine is the carbon version...

    http://www.genuineinnovations.com/bi...px?prodid=1094
    Is that an ARC in your pocket or are you just small like that?

  8. #218
    *Flashaholic*
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Flushing, NY
    Posts
    6,105

    Default Re: beginner road bike???

    Quote Originally Posted by Robocop View Post
    I did find a forum post in another link that spoke of problems destroying valve stems with these small pumps. The link did not say much more so I am a little worried now. Has anyone got experience with these small pumps and is there something I should do to make sure I do not destroy my tubes when trying to repair a flat?
    The reason they can destroy valve stems is because the end of the pump screws directly on the valve, so you have to hold the pump in line with the valve. To me anyway given my carpal tunnel syndrome I wouldn't be able to do this. In fact, I don't have the strength in my hands to use a hand pump at all, at least not with high-pressure tires. I simply can't grip the thing with enough force. Anyway, if the angle of the pump shifts significantly while pumping you can easily shear the valve stem right off.

    Regarding flats, you'll find they either are or aren't a problem where you ride. Since you haven't gotten one yet, I'd say where you ride the roads are fairly free of debris. On the other hand, flats for me occur on average every 50 miles. 99% of the time it's the rear. This would be a mess to try and fix on the road given that I would get my hands full of chain grease removing the rear wheel. And since a lot of my rides are in cold weather lots of luck having enough dexterity to do field repairs. It's also at least a half hour project even under ideal conditions at home. Instead, for now I stick within a few miles of home, and just walk the bike back whenever I get a flat. I've had airless tyres of order since last August. When they come, my flat problem is solved. I'll start going further from home then. I just don't trust pneumatic tires on long trips. They've failed me far too many times. If in the course of your riding you start finding this also I might recommend airless tires. Modern bikes are pretty reliable save the tyres (their Achilles heel). Either you'll find you get flats often enough to get disgusted or you don't. So far it seems you're lucky. There are heavier tyres which are less flat prone, but they're much slower than the high pressures, and you can still obviously get flats. If I'm going to end up with a slower bike regardless, I'd rather just go airless and solve the problem completely. Hopefully sometime this year I'll write my own evaluation of the airless tyres. They may turn out not to make the bike significantly slower, in which case there really are no tradeoffs.

    I liked the feeling of knowing I could get to over 40 mph however really will most likely not see that speed very much. The bike itself was very stable however and I believe it could handle 50 mph easily.
    I personally make sure I have ideal conditions when I do those kinds of speeds. Like you said, you just don't have much protection should something go wrong. In my more reckless, younger days I once did 65 mph on my Raleigh (hill plus a major tailwind). Frankly, it was both fun but also scared the living daylights out of me. Still, the bike felt pretty stable at that speed, although there was a little more vibration than I would have liked. However, I doubt I would ever try this again knowing what could go wrong unless I dressed like a motorcyclist. These days even going over 40 mph is fairly rare.

  9. #219
    Moderator
    *Mammoth Killer*
    Robocop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Birmingham Al.
    Posts
    2,594

    Default Re: beginner road bike???

    I thank my lucky stars each day for the weather I have here as well as the better roads. Even with such good roads and the great riding trails I have found yesterday was the only time I really did feel kind of vulnerable.

    I rode close to 55 miles and while it was designed as a bike trail it is mostly a winding path through the countryside. The first 15 miles are ok with a few fuel stores or snack places however there was a 20 mile stretch with absolutely no stores in sight nor houses for that matter.

    I was pedaling along and got low on water and began hoping for a small town or quick stop and found nothing. I began wondering what I would do if I had a flat or mechanical problem. I thought I may could walk to a store however as much as my bike cost I would never leave it behind. I then wondered how long it would take me to walk the bike the 20 miles back to where I started from and that thought was not fun at all.

    I quickly figured out that as you say the weak link for cycling is indeed the tires. I had a small one shot nozzle and two Co2 cannisters however have never practiced changing or repairing a tire. I imagined myself using up the Co2 and still being stranded so this is why I bought the small pump. Then I read about destroying stems in the field and I wanted to make sure I did not have this happen so far away from home.

    I think the best thing to be sure is to travel with a friend so one can keep going to get the vehicle and pick the other up if something happened. Thus far I have always been able to ride with my g/f however as I grow to enjoy riding more I hope to ride as much as I can. This may mean at times I will have to ride alone and the thought of having a flat all alone is not what I want to have happen.

    The shop told me most flats around here are from "pinching" rather than road debris. He suggested a tire liner if I was really worried about it however at the time I simply wanted to ride and did not give flats much thought. After riding more lately I may look into a liner.....I have read that if you have to add weight to a bike the worst place to do so is the tires for they are rotating mass. The lighter the better for the tires so thus far many riders stay away from the liners.
    Is that an ARC in your pocket or are you just small like that?

  10. #220
    *Flashaholic*
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    8,182

    Default Re: beginner road bike???

    robo.. the best pump I've used is a Topeak Road Morph Pump. it's got a pressure gauge. best of all road morph easily puts 110+ lbs into tire. https://shop.sunrisecyclery.com/item/12540

    a must have piece of gear!

    no longer use CO2 cartridges ... a pita to use.

  11. #221
    Flashaholic* chimo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Ottawa, Canada
    Posts
    1,905

    Default Re: beginner road bike???

    Quote Originally Posted by cy View Post
    robo.. the best pump I've used is a Topeak Road Morph Pump. it's got a pressure gauge. best of all road morph easily puts 110+ lbs into tire. https://shop.sunrisecyclery.com/item/12540

    a must have piece of gear!

    no longer use CO2 cartridges ... a pita to use.
    That's the one that I use. Nice pump - it's fairly fast as well. I have had to use it a few times while commuting.

    Paul

  12. #222
    Moderator
    *Mammoth Killer*
    Robocop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Birmingham Al.
    Posts
    2,594

    Default Re: beginner road bike???

    Cy I actually did try a little larger pump designed to be frame mounted. It was very similiar to the link you gave both in shape and size and also had a pressure guage. Regardless of the mounting position I had trouble pedaling and clearing the pump. It kept hitting my legs when I pedaled. I could keep it from hitting if I concentrated however figured it was only a matter of time until it caused me to wreck.

    The mounting brackets seem to be the same for most pumps and fit on the same holes as the water bottles. I had no choice but to mount it on either the front or rear cage holes. Both ways it was in the way so I chose a much more streamlined pump. I thought those larger pumps were designed for mountain bikers or at least that is what I thought with the one I returned. I know it was made by Bell and the guage went to 130 PSI however I cant find a link online.

    I think I will practice this week on changing out the tube and see just how hard it is to do. It will be much nicer if I mess up while in my living room rather than 50 miles out on the trail.
    Is that an ARC in your pocket or are you just small like that?

  13. #223
    *Flashaholic*
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    8,182

    Default Re: beginner road bike???

    this is one of those few times.... look alikes will not do the same job.
    road morph pump is one of the few pumps on the market that easily pumps up past 100psi.

    mine rides in my camelbak. ya it's a pita to carry, but with today's high pressure tires. pinch flats will result if you don't inflate to rated pressures. tuffy tube liners will help with thorns, but not snake bites from running too low tire pressures.

    you might consider doing a dry run at home. break down your tire... take the tube out. put it all back together, then use your pump to see if you can achieve full tire pressures.

    Quote Originally Posted by Robocop View Post
    Cy I actually did try a little larger pump designed to be frame mounted. It was very similiar to the link you gave both in shape and size and also had a pressure guage. .

  14. #224
    Flashaholic* orbital's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Great Lakes
    Posts
    2,850

    Default Re: beginner road bike???

    +

    Robo, it really sounds like your cycling is going well for you.

    When talking about flats, the quality of tire has alot to do with it also.
    There are aspects of tire technology not always talked about,

    For example:

    * TPI ~ threads per inch in tire casing, the more the better.
    * Tire compound ~ Supersoft/superlight can sometimes wear out in days,...no good.
    * Sidewall construction ~ this goes hand in hand and hand with TPI, better tires will have improved sidewall designs to reduce pinch flats.

    For Road biking I use Michelin Krylion Carbon tires.
    I cannot say in words how good these tires are. Very consistent handling and great sidewall construction. They are reasonably light and relatively cheap.

    More importantly, the Michelin Carbons have absolutely unbelievable tread life....I highly recommend them!

    I'v had only one flat on them with over 2500 miles on my current set.
    My roads are constantly climbing and descending glaciated hills in Wisconsin.

    I used this setup on my one flat without issue:

    http://www.genuineinnovations.com/bi...px?prodid=1000
    Last edited by orbital; 06-09-2008 at 09:24 PM. Reason: add

  15. #225
    Moderator
    *Mammoth Killer*
    Robocop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Birmingham Al.
    Posts
    2,594

    Default Re: beginner road bike???

    Well just to clarify many said it would happen and yes it finally did....I went down pretty hard Saturday while riding. For some stupid reason I tried to pull up the front tire while riding to clear a pothole. I forgot the bike is only 18 lbs and pushed hard on the pedals......yep the front end came down sideways and shot me off course in a split second.

    The bad part is that I flew off the bike and hit my g/f who rode to my left....she went down also. 3200 dollars worth of bikes flying through the air and man did it make me feel sick to see that. We both are ok and have a little road rash with minimal damage to the bikes. Both bikes suffered badly scratched shifter levers and some damage to the sides of the seats. I was suprised to see both bikes actually came through it pretty good and we managed to bend the levers back into place and drive them 8 more miles home.

    The good news is that my g/f is still with me in spite of it all (grin) and that we are both ok. I will say I will never again doubt a good helmet as we both had pretty expensive helmets. Both helmets took a good hit on the pavement and showed damage yet neither of us had a scratch on our heads. I am buying us both new helmets this week and plan to again buy the better ones. I remember getting angry when I found out how much the better helmets cost.....now I am very happy I chose to buy one.
    Is that an ARC in your pocket or are you just small like that?

  16. #226
    Flashaholic* Steve K's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Peoria, IL
    Posts
    2,785

    Default Re: beginner road bike???

    hi Robo,

    Glad to hear that you and your sweetie are okay!

    Despite the various arguements about helmets, it's nice to have one on your noggin when these little upsets occur. Good to hear that you're replacing them, but I'm not sure that a more expensive helmet offers more protection than a lower cost helmet. Mostly, they offer better ventilation, improved fitting options, lighter weight (slightly), and status. I've been pretty happy using the Giro "Indicator" model for 5 or 6 years. About $35 right now. A goofy name, but a good price!

    If your bikes use carbon forks, you might ask the shop to give them a look-over. They are probably just fine, but it's good to get an expert opinion. Carbon forks don't tolerate abuse especially well, and when they fail, it can be abrupt. The fork, stem, and handlebars are the only things keeping your teeth and face from becoming part of the road, so you don't want to take any chances with them.

    Don't feel too bad about the incident. It's just part of the learning process, and now your girlfriend has learned to not let you ride too close to her. :-)

    take care,
    Steve K.

  17. #227
    Flashaholic* Black Rose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Ottawa, ON, Canada
    Posts
    4,627

    Default Re: beginner road bike???

    When I was riding more seriously, before the arthritis set in, that was the one thing I never did on my Cannondale. I had many opportunities but managed to keep upright somehow.

    Perhaps the memory of my spectacular wipeout in my teens had something to do with it....nothing like landing on your back at 35 mph on fresh stone chip pavement to leave it's mark (literally).

    Back then I didn't have a helmet. hmmm...that might explain a few things

  18. #228
    *Flashaholic*
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Flushing, NY
    Posts
    6,105

    Default Re: beginner road bike???

    My worst fall was at 37 mph after hitting a pothole. I slid along the ground about 100 feet. Fortunately all I got was road rash. No helmet but back then (mid 1980s) helmets really didn't exist even if you wanted to wear one. I haven't fallen now in probably 7 or 8 years. I've just gotten a lot better at anticipating, watching, and also recovering. A few weeks ago unbeknownst to me my front tire lost enough air so that the sidewall would collapse in a fast turn. Sure enough, as I'm making a u-turn the front wheel starts to lose traction but I managed to recover before I fell. If a fall is inevitable, the best thing is to outstretch your arms to keep your head from hitting the ground. The outstretched arms will also protect your head if you slide into a solid object. All this is doubly important if you don't wear a helmet but is a good idea even if you do. A helmet offers little protection at impact speeds much above 10 mph. Learning to fall properly is crucial if you ride much above that speed. Any helmet which did protect better at perhaps 30 mph would be much too heavy for cycling.

    There are several techniques for going over large potholes. One is to just ride faster. You can literally fly over smaller holes that way. Another is to stand on the pedals and let the bike pivot over the hole. This greatly lessens shock on the bike, and will often keep you from falling. It's probably never a good idea to intentionally try to lift your front wheel. You lose most of your braking and all of your steering.

    All this being said, I tend to think the danger of cycling is often exaggerated. In over 58,000 miles I've only had a few cases of road rash, no broken bones, and a few trashed rims. The most dangerous thing is cars. If you're lucky enough to have a bike path with no traffic then 99% of the danger is gone.

  19. #229
    *Flashaholic*
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    8,182

    Default Re: beginner road bike???

    robo... glad you and GF came out ok for your first spill...

    hey it happens to the best! real soon you'll be bunny hopping over those pot holes. first scratches are the most painful!

    how to react when riding close to other riders is definitely a skill set.

    folks that ride in packs usually don't trust new riders until they prove them selves. usually by riding their line no matter what happens. slamming on brakes when someone is riding on your wheel ... can take someone out.... or possibly take down most of the group.

    we used to do drills, where we bump into each other at speed on purpose. same for overlapping tires... which is another no no..

    we'd also do drills wacking each other's rear tire with your front tire. the same for bunny hops at speed directly at curbs and sideway into curbs.

    rotating tires generate an amazing amount of gyroscopic action. one is really more stable than it appears. it's usually the rider's action .. ie panic that takes down the rider.

  20. #230
    Moderator
    *Mammoth Killer*
    Robocop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Birmingham Al.
    Posts
    2,594

    Default Re: beginner road bike???

    I firmly believe it was simply my lack of experience that brought me down. Honestly I never saw it coming and had zero time to panic. I have not ridden in years and all my bikes as a child were much heavier. When I pushed hard and pulled up the bike seemed like it lost all control. The front tire was maybe 2 feet off the ground and quickly slammed back down veering wildly to the left.

    Holy smoke was I caught by suprise as I was really expecting the bike to react much like a heavier bike would. I now know much better to ever do that again and maybe this will actually make me a better rider. Up until this accident I was riding 60 to 70 miles at times with the average being about 40 each Saturday. My average speeds are usually around 16 to 18 mph with my highest speed thus far at 47 mph....(downhill)

    I thought I knew what I was doing however man was I way wrong about that. I had no idea how twitchy this bike could be if pushed the wrong way yet again I will take this as a learning experience. I am planning to have the shop go over both bikes to check for any damage I cant see and to also see about replacing the shifter levers. I was much more shocked when I saw how expensive a simple pair of Shimano 105 STI shifters will set me back......cheapest thus far is close to 300 dollars.

    The levers still shift and "seem" to work just fine however I am a little nervous about depending on them after they have been so beaten up. I also feel very bad about damaging the levers on my g/f bike so I am replacing those even if the damage is cosmetic only. Any ideas on where I may find a pair of 105s for a good deal?.....I have had so much luck with my bike shop that I am really thinking about trusting them to supply the parts and just repair whatever needs repairing. I feel they will give me a good cost on parts....especially as I have spent 4k there in the last few months.
    Is that an ARC in your pocket or are you just small like that?

  21. #231
    Flashaholic* TONY M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Belfast, NI
    Posts
    1,548

    Default Re: beginner road bike???

    Glad you and the GF are not too badly hurt. If you don't fancy the road a turbo trainer may be for you! lol.

    If you can trust you're bike shop they should be fine to carry out the repairs.

    Keep riding!

  22. #232
    Flashaholic* orbital's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Great Lakes
    Posts
    2,850

    Default Re: beginner road bike???

    +

    Robo, glad to hear you and your gal are OK..

    Don't be hard on yourself about a fall.
    Its too easy to say, 'you could have done this, or that'.
    {one thing,..you would want to be off your saddle before trying clear potholes, large cracks, RR tracks ect..}
    Do practice some of your riding off the saddle.

    In cycling, your bike handling skills improve with every ride,
    so heads up and ride on!

  23. #233
    Flashaholic* chimo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Ottawa, Canada
    Posts
    1,905

    Default Re: beginner road bike???

    Glad to see you and the g/f are OK. You may want to keep an eye out on this ebay store. I just got a pair of XT pedals from them - pretty good price and reasonable shipping. The store items change so you may have to check from time to time. They have a mix of mountain and road stuff.

    Paul

  24. #234
    Moderator
    *Mammoth Killer*
    Robocop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Birmingham Al.
    Posts
    2,594

    Default Re: beginner road bike???

    Well once again the value of a great bike shop to me is crystal clear. I just spoke to the owner of the shop we bought these bikes from and he is a real classy man indeed. The owner has seen us shopping there many times after our initial purchase as we buy clothes, power gel, computers, and many other smaller items weekly.

    He told me to bring the bikes to him assuring me he would inspect the bikes and make them good as new. He said he feels we will be loyal customers in the future and when we decide to upgrade bikes we will use his shop. He said he really appreciates loyalty and noticed that we shop with him for all of our gear. I was really shocked when he offered to do minor repairs for free and even more shocked when he gave me prices on the shifters....he gave me half off of any parts needed and beat the best prices on the net by at least 100 dollars.

    He seems as if he really wants me to enjoy my riding and did say that after a spill many riders will stop riding due to very high repair bills. He advised me to keep riding saying that wrecks are common and the main thing is to learn from it and keep on enjoying the sport. He feels that by repairing my bike for little cost it will keep my interest and as such he will keep my business.

    Now this my friends is customer service and I am leaving the bikes with him tomorrow. I told him to repair or replace whatever needed it and I would gladly pay him for his trouble. I do trust him not to gouge me on costs and now feel much better about the whole incident......looks like I will be going again in no time.

    I have met some very nice people in this sport and would hate to have to give it up for a while due to saving up my cash for costly repairs. Needless to say I plan to send as much business to this shop as possible and am already planning the next bike when I do upgrade....
    Is that an ARC in your pocket or are you just small like that?

  25. #235

    Default Re: beginner road bike???

    Quote Originally Posted by Robocop View Post
    Well once again the value of a great bike shop to me is crystal clear.
    +1 Let's support our LBSs (local bicycle shops)!

  26. #236
    Flashaholic* Steve K's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Peoria, IL
    Posts
    2,785

    Default Re: beginner road bike???

    Good to see the shop being so helpful, and also good to keep bringing business back to the shop.

    STI levers are one of the annoying aspects of modern bikes, though. They are extremely convenient, but also extremely pricey.

    If you stick with the sport and decide to save a little money, you might consider changing to bar-end shifters. The shifters themselves cost around $80(?), and new brake levers are less ($50???). The shift levers will last a very long time compared to STI, and can even revert to friction shifting mode if there is a problem with the indexing.

    Or.. convert the bike to a fixed gear and get rid of all of the derailleur system. :-)

    These are just thoughts for the future. In the meantime, keep building your skills and having fun!

    Steve

  27. #237
    Flashaholic* TONY M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Belfast, NI
    Posts
    1,548

    Default Re: beginner road bike???

    Quote Originally Posted by Steve K View Post
    Or.. convert the bike to a fixed gear and get rid of all of the derailleur system. :-)
    I personally like the idea of getting rid of the derailleurs and going for a Rohloff hub!

  28. #238
    Moderator
    *Mammoth Killer*
    Robocop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Birmingham Al.
    Posts
    2,594

    Default Re: beginner road bike???

    Well I got our bikes back today and the total repair cost was 312 dollars....this included a new helmet for us as well as a new shimano 105 shifter set for the g/f. I also replaced the bar tape on both bikes and had a complete check over on both bikes for any cracks or defects from the wreck. Both bikes did need to have the wheels trued up with the shop advising this is common after a wreck.

    They both look good as new and perform as new also. I rode again for the first time after the wreck Saturday and while a little nervous I quickly got over it. I did 30 miles until we lost our daylight so we headed in early. It looks like the only thing lost in this event was a little skin and a pair of riding clothes....plus a little ego of me thinking I was a much better rider than I really am...

    This weekend we plan to go back to the area we wrecked at and try it again for maybe 60 miles. I am trying to get as much time in before the weather turns cold here. Thanks again for the input and wish me luck....
    Is that an ARC in your pocket or are you just small like that?

  29. #239
    Flashaholic*
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Northern NJ, USA
    Posts
    1,875

    Default Re: beginner road bike???

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Steve K
    Or.. convert the bike to a fixed gear and get rid of all of the derailleur system. :-)

    That's fine if you don't ride where there are hills. Pretty hard around here.

    Quote Originally Posted by TONY M View Post
    I personally like the idea of getting rid of the derailleurs and going for a Rohloff hub!
    Derailleurs can be a pita, but they are quite efficient at transferring your power to the wheels. I've heard Rohloff's are durable, but I don't know how much more durable they are.

  30. #240
    *Flashaholic*
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Flushing, NY
    Posts
    6,105

    Default Re: beginner road bike???

    Quote Originally Posted by LED_Thrift View Post
    I've heard Rohloff's are durable, but I don't know how much more durable they are.
    They're basically bullet-proof from what I've read. I hear they take a few thousand miles just to break in, and last literally forever. Besides, they can be rebuilt if need be. As far as efficiency, I think the top 7 speeds are about the same as a derailleur, the bottom 7 speeds a little less efficient. Overall a great product which I would buy in a heartbeat if I could afford it.

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •