Undocumented "Secret" programming function in Fenix P3D

abvidledUK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Undocumented "Secret" programming function in Fenix P3D

Whilst eating my midnight toast snack, and playing with my P3D's, I came across this last night.....

I have only tried this on my original P3D's, from UK supplier, it may work for other P3D's, or in fact other Fenix torches with electronic circuits too, that enable multi-level output.

Here's how:

Using primary CR123's only.

Select Turbo Mode.
Switch off for 1"
Switch on for 4" (strobes)
Switch off for 8"
Switch on

If you get the timing just right, this gives access to a "secret" mode.

This is a very low level, night glow, torch finder mode, just like on the Safelight Superbright torches.

Do not depress the switch at this stage, or you will lose the "night glow"

This mode disappears if you then use the P3D in normal modes, and you have to reset it for "night glow" mode.

I also discovered another "secret" mode, for the P3D's I purchased from an American supplier.

This is a really useful mode, I could not get it to work with my UK supplied P3D's.

As above, you enter this mode by

Select Turbo Mode.
Switch off for 4"
Switch on for 1" (strobes)
Switch off for 8"
Switch on

If you get the timing just right, this gives access to another "secret" mode. (USA only)

This mode enable you to alter the tint of the LED, from a cool blueish, to a warm white, by half depressing the tail switch, which cycles through the various tints.

This amended tint appears to stay as selected, at least for 24 hours, I have not tried it for longer.

With one of my P3D's, I could not get these functions to work at all.

Last edited:

1 what

Enlightened
Very good...If I hadn't just fallen for the "New Maglight" story I might have tried to do it. Happy April!

abvidledUK

Flashlight Enthusiast
You had me until the discussion of altering the tint. That would be nice, but there is just no way to do that at a fixed output level.

Perhaps the output level varies slightly as you alter the tint !

mdocod

Flashaholic
with various high frequency PWM tech, variable tint is theoretically possible...

Got to hand it to ya... had me going for a minute there..

One2gofst

Newly Enlightened
I actually had grabbed my P3D after reading the first. but while doing so I continued to read about the tint change and I thought "Duh, he got me."

Good one.

Hodsta

Flashlight Enthusiast
As a UK CPFer I am sure you are as furious as I am at the decision to replace the clock face of Big Ben with a digital read out and the substitution of the world famous bongs with a "beep beep beep" sound.:thumbsup:

abvidledUK

Flashlight Enthusiast
I did leave a couple of clues..............

I have only tried this on my original P3D's, from UK supplier,
Select Turbo Mode.
Switch off for 1"
Switch on for 4" (strobes)
Switch off for 8"
Switch on

UK 1,4,8 = 1st April 2008

and

an American supplier.
Select Turbo Mode.
Switch off for 4"
Switch on for 1" (strobes)