maybe 80 is enough?!

Wyl

Newly Enlightened
I just purchased a Surefire G2 LED stock 80 lumens.

I have been using this flashlight exclusively indoors.

I was all about getting a DX 6090, to hold me off till i could get a great malkoff drop in.

But I am thinking 80 lumens is bright enough for me?! I could not image having something over 120 lumens....

Any thoughts, for the sake of $15 should i get the drop in anyway?

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
youre not allowed to be a flashaholic if you dont have at least a light that hits 100+ lumens....:nana:

just kidding, but yes the drop in is worth getting. The Malkoff will also be very good.

Crenshaw

pbs357

Enlightened
Buy it to try it! At $15 shipped, it's really hard to beat. I haven't tried the 6090 but I have several of the 1447's and for $15 or less they're unbeatable. I haven't tried any of the new Q5 DX's but I'm sure people will start posting when they receive theirs.

While the higher priced ones do stand out in regards to performance, they also stand out in price. They cost a lot more, but the quality difference is also just as noticeable. If you have the means to try one I highly recommend it. I went from long time skeptic to believer after trying my first Malkoff, and I have 3 now! :oops:

That being said, I recently spent some time with a G2, and for indoor use and even utility outdoor use they're more than adequate to light your way in the dark. The high output drop-ins are real blasters though for medium range lighting.

Last edited:

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
80 lumens should be plenty for indoors. :) Are you just using it around the house, or something else?

Vikas Sontakke

Enlightened
I think you would need significantly more than 80L to see the difference between the Surefire measured 80L and claimed 120L.

Stainz

Enlightened
I bought a 6P LED with some spare batteries for a great price locally. I really liked it - so, from what was said on here, I ordered a $42 6P (inc s/h) from evil-bay. The intent was to get a DX starter - and wait for a powerful drop-in. I cheated - and bought a Fenix 4 in 1 pack with that P2D Q5 Premium. One CR123 and it puts out 180 Lumens. Okay, it is brighter - and warmer - than my SF 6P LED - but not that much. The SF will be here a while - real quality - and the two batteries should last a long time. I changed my plans - picked up a P60L at a good price and now I have a great light for the Jeep, an identical one for the house, and that little guy for carry - with a spare battery/tube when I feel like an AA vs CR123 day. . My wife said she was happy with her cheesy light in her SRT-4... and that when she goes somewhere at night, I'm usually with her anyway!

I guess you could say I was happy with 'only' 80 Lumens from my 6P LED. Of course, when that P61L with it's greater output hits the market, you bet I'll get one! Getting by and burning holes in the wall are different functions...

Stainz

PS Get one of those Fenix 4in1 kits, 'ppack - $73 (less CPF 8% delivered @ $67.16) for that P2D Premium Q5 with it's 180 Lumens - or the 225 Lumen T1 or TK10 for a few bucks more, if you want to see what a bit brighter is.

Last edited:

generic808

Enlightened
The 6090 is only $10.14, not $15. So, at that price, you really can't go wrong. Get it, try it, and I'm sure you'll like it! I have 3 and as Tony the Tiger would say...THEY'RE GREEEAAATTTT!!! :thumbsup:

Hodsta

Flashlight Enthusiast
80 lumens should be plenty for indoors. :) Are you just using it around the house, or something else?

+1 if its for exclusive indoor use then personally I woudl find 80lm too bright. A light that is split 10, 40 and 120+ with a reasonable mix of spill and throw covers all my bases unless I'm out hiking and need a real bright light for route spotting and to cure my fear of midnight noises!

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
You know what? Depending on what you are doing 80 lumen may be plenty or even to much for some purposes.

The difference between 80 and 100 is not very dramatic. you won't be seeing a difference which is dramatic until you double the 80 or even go to 200. A light like the fenix tk10 will provide that dramatic difference in brightness you are after. the Malkoff drop in will also give you that wow factor.
Going from 80 to 100? forget it. going from 80 to 200 or 225 now you are talking.
Is 80 enough?
The E1B made by surefire has 80 Lumen. IMHO this is the best single cell little hand held non custom light out there.
Those 80 lumen are brighter than almost ALL of my single cell flashlights. It is a bright little sucker. So yes 80 is enough...if it is enough.
For me Since I have been EDCing my E1b since I got it (for the most part I also carry other lights but since the E1B is new I like to carry it around with me) I have found that the 2 level system provides plenty of light for many (most) tasks around the house.
Sure 80 is enough....
Yaesumofo

const451

Newly Enlightened
+2 that 80 lumens is too bright for indoors.

P60L is blinding inside of the dark house. I am not sure though what would be enough but not too much for indoors. If I am not mistaken the 2xAA Mag is about 5 lumens, and 2xD Mag is about 20 lumens. I think 2xAA Mag is adequate for the indoors. I am wondering if 5-10 lumens P60 style drop-in will be made.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Remember that our perception of brightness is logrithmic, not linear. Thus a 200 lumen light does not appear to be twice as bright as 100 lumens. Brighter, yes, but not as much as you think.

Wyl

Newly Enlightened

I use my EDC around work... I am in and out of dark places.. (including the ceiling)

I guess i should try the drop-in...

Gunner12

Flashaholic
When you get outside, in a big area, in a place with some ambient lighting, 80 lumen won't be enough.

Other times, 5 lumen is too much.

It's also fun to have something super bright.

But in the end, it is you who makes the decision.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
Just one of the reasons my main EDC is a Fenix L1D Q5. It can be brighter than the P60L but can also tone way down if not so much light is needed.

Little sucker doesn't take up much real estate on my belt or hang up on the bucket seat in my truck either.

I keep some bigger stuff in the truck. But nothing brighter than turbo of the Fenix. Oops! Well there is a Magcharger60 in the truck....

striwa88

Newly Enlightened
I bought a Cree R2 drop in off Ebay and it will singe your eyes out :poof:, day night diffence. Just type in Cree R2 in the search field.