6P regular bezel vs. strike bezel: which one do you prefer?

dmz

Enlightened
6P regular bezel vs. strike bezel: which one do you prefer? What are the pros and cons? Should I update my 6P with a strike bezel? Or will the strike bezel cast an odd looking beam?

PayBack

Enlightened
I prefer plain bezels... I think strike bezels look stupid, make the light longer (usually) and are of no use to me.
I have about 8 years martial arts training but not in the use of the bezel (or any similar kubotan type technique) so would see no benefit from it other than hammer fist type strikes, which I'm not keen on, preferring to keep my weapon (hands, feet) between me and the target.

Pros are, if you have the right training, and expect you'll ever need it, it might be of some use to you to defend yourself. Cons are they look silly, make the light longer, and are of no use for their intended purpose unless you're trained or lucky or your opponent is a little girl.

My unbiased 10c worth ;)

Last edited:

ace0001a

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, there are many varying views on having a strike bezel...

Pros:
1. Lets you know your flashlight is on when placed on a surface facing down
2. Allows your flashlight to be a weapon for self defense
3. Gives added protection to the lens
4. Gives that cool "tactical" look to your flashlight

Cons:
1. Adds length to the flashlight
2. Reduces some spill
3. Depending on the sharpness, can be dangerous to handle
4. Can cause damage to clothing (i.e. rips holes in your pockets)

Personally I like the strike bezels because I like the cool tactical look it gives the 6P and other Surefire C format flashlights. I like the Solarforce black head with stainless steel strike bezel. The stainless steel on the bezel only gives a similar look that you see on Inova flashlights and I like that too. My second favorite is the one that comes with the 6P defender.

bspofford

Enlightened
I agree with kavvika and ace0001a that the benefits outweigh any negatives. The Solarforce stainless steel bezel comes with a brushed stainless finish and is a bit sharp on clothing and to touch, but I polished mine with Ryobi #H compound using both a 6" buffing wheel and Dremel 1/2" felt cylinder. The end result is a gorgeous shiny bezel that is much less aggressive.:thumbsup:

wishywashy7

Enlightened
get both because you never know when your mood for a tactical look changes:whistle:

BBL

Enlightened
I consider strike bezels useless.

The only slight advantage they have over the regular 6P bezel: Protection of the front part of the bezel - the regular bezel is extremely weak at that point.

Yapo

Enlightened
Does the strike bezel change the beam pattern?

nope, although they might cut off some of the spill around the edge depending on how much the bezel sticks out and whether it is reflective like stainless steel or black...

Last edited:

generic808

Enlightened
I think it does cut a lot of spill off the sides. Some will say a little, but it is very noticeable to me.

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
Regular, though I'd fancy a 6P with HAIII. Strike bezels do little for me. I don't mind minor bumps in the bezel so that I can see the light is still on; but beyond that what's the use?

Yapo

Enlightened
I think it does cut a lot of spill off the sides. Some will say a little, but it is very noticeable to me.

Yep i just tried comparing my black aluminium solarforce L2 with my Ultrafire 502B which has a lot shallower bezel to reflector length (approx 9mm difference)...The diameter of the spill looks to be about 15-20% smaller for the Solarforce than the ultrafire which is equal to about 30% loss of light from the overall spill....seems like more than i thought it would be...its making me want to change to a light with the shortest bezel possible...anyone know where to get a cheap regular bezel?

bspofford

Enlightened
Yep i just tried comparing my black aluminium solarforce L2 with my Ultrafire 502B which has a lot shallower bezel to reflector length (approx 9mm difference)...The diameter of the spill looks to be about 15-20% smaller for the Solarforce than the ultrafire which is equal to about 30% loss of light from the overall spill....seems like more than i thought it would be...its making me want to change to a light with the shortest bezel possible...anyone know where to get a cheap regular bezel?

The difference in spill between these two lights is caused by the reflector, not the bezel. Try comparing the L2 with and without the bezel.

generic808

Enlightened
The difference in spill between these two lights is caused by the reflector, not the bezel. Try comparing the L2 with and without the bezel.

I think he meant because of the length of the bezel up front (crenelated part), spill is lost. I have three 6P's, one of which has a strike bezel, and the difference is very noticeable because of it. The light is cut off because of the crenellation.

ace0001a

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think he meant because of the length of the bezel up front (crenelated part), spill is lost. I have three 6P's, one of which has a strike bezel, and the difference is very noticeable because of it. The light is cut off because of the crenellation.

This just goes to show the varying perceptions of what is considered a little to a lot...my opinion is that the strike bezels take away a reasonably small amount of spill as others consider that as a lot. I will say it's too bad Solarforce doesn't come out with a simple crenelated bezel that's not for striking. I like those too and I think a simple crenelated design would have far less effect on the spill than a strike bezel.

Last edited:

Big Bob

Newly Enlightened
I have no use for a strike bezel... but that's just me. :)

Actually, it's not just you :grin2:. It's me too. I did replace all the stock bezels on my P, C and Z series lights with SF M4 shock-isolated bezels though ... for good reason on those in which a P60 or a P90 LA is used, and for purely cosmetic reasons on those in which I have an LED drop-in installed .... but that's just me :D

dmz

Enlightened
Are there beamshots of the 6P regular bezel vs. strike bezel?

Tempest UK

Flashlight Enthusiast
I' say strike bezels have one very particular purpose. If you don't foresee having any use for it, I wouldn't bother with it.

I can't say I've ever actually had a problem with putting a light down while it was still on, so the that's not really much of a benefit of the strike bezel for me.

The protection offered by the standard, smooth bezel has always seemed sufficient to me. Not so much as a scratch on any of my 6Ps, and anything that could really damage a 6P with the regular bezel would damage a strike bezel version just the same, in my opinion. It's not offering much protection at all.

So for me, that just leaves the problems of tearing up pockets, being uncomfortable to remove from a pocket, adding length to the light etc.

That said, I do own at least 4 6PDs...

Regards,
Tempest

rtt

Enlightened
I actually prefer the older 6P bezel (roundie without the hex). Feels better in the hand and slips nicely into the pocket. I think it balances better also, may be a little lighter because of the lexan lens.