UKE D8 report

rlhess

Enlightened
Hi, I just purchased a UKE D8 and it's a very interesting "look around in the dark" light.

Plusses:
-- Two LAMPS (switchable)
-- Rated at 7+ hours burn time
-- Reasonably bright (1200 candela peak--aprox same as an E2e in the center, but the beam is much bigger and not quite as smooth--and it runs probably 5X the E2e)
-- Broad beam 100 candelas at a half angle of 18 degrees!
-- Uses D cells

Minuses
--Broad, relatively soft light
--Pattern has some irregularities, possibly caused by the two lamp changeover
--Heavy (8 D cells!)

My measurements were done after about a total of about 15 minutes on a fresh set of D cells. The cells measured 12.1V after the test. In contrast the cells in the SL-6 measured (again no load) 8.63V after the test...I've been using these for a while.

There is a BIG difference between the SL-6 and the D8. The SL-6 is a light sabre compared to the D8 which is more like a floodlight.

The D8 nicely lit up my whole rear patio in one shot while the SL-6 needed to be moved around a lot.

When it got to the top of trees 100+ feet away, the SL6 could show individual branches while the D8 outlined the whole tree.

The orange peel reflector of the D8 provides a reasonably smooth pool of light that fades off slowly and smoothly.

The bulb in the D8 is not quite as high a color temperature which means it's being driven more conservatively and should last longer--and with two of them, it should be great!

I briefly tried the 30W bulb (anyone want one????) and the alkaline D cells won't deliver the current to drive it--it's actually dimmer than the 14W bulbs that come with it. Interesting test, though!

In talking with UKE, they seem to think that the SL6 is 200 lumens (compared to an E2e at 60 lumens that's believable). They also say the D8R is about 800 lumens (presumably with the 30W lamp) which places the D8 with the 14W lamp around 300-350 lumens I would GUESS (he didn't say). (The Light Cannon is rated at 450-500 lumens.)

I still may get a 55W or 100W Vector-type lamp, but the D8 certainly lights up a patio--or a room.

Your mileage may vary.

Cheers,

Richard

PS (edit 11:52PM Jun 14) The C cells in the SL-6 measured down two bars and the D cells in the D8 measured down one bar after all the testing tonight using the RS 22-091 meter.

txwest

Flashlight Enthusiast
Richard,
If the size & weight doesn't bother you, this sounds like a really nice combo. One light with a good wide bright beam, & one with a long throw bright beam. I just got the Light Cannon, that I plan to mount on my kyuac & have the Tec MiniWave for the long throw light. TX
(if you want to sell the SL6 for a good price, let me know)

rlhess

Enlightened
I've been sorely tempted by the Light Cannon, but I've been worried about it being more fragile (expensive lamp) and it runs about 4 hours on 8 C cells. On the 8 Ds in the D8, I get 2x the run time and about 60% of the light--and it was less than half the price.

What's a Tec MiniWave?

No, sorry, I don't want to sell the SL-6. It is currently the longest-reach light I have and I like its form factor.

I'm staying away from rechargeables as I don't use the lights that much and I want the longer run times and the low self-discharge that alkalines offer.

Sounds like you're going to have some fun!

Cheers,

Richard

Alan

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by rlhess:

I briefly tried the 30W bulb (anyone want one????) and the alkaline D cells won't deliver the current to drive it--it's actually dimmer than the 14W bulbs that come with it. Interesting test, though!
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The 30W bulb is for D8R (rechargeable version) not for the standard D8. I have D4R and its 18W bulb is bright, white and very smooth.

It's very difficult to get a really bright light that run on alkaline battery. If its self discharge rate bothers you, lithium (123) is a good alternative.

Alkaline - medium running cost but can't sustain high current lamp for more than 1/3 of its rated runtime - 2/3 of the runtime in dimness
tongue.gif

Rechargeable - low runnng cost but require monthly maintenance if not frequently use.
Lithium - high running cost but it's maintenance free and it's ready whenever you need it.

It's your choice
smile.gif

Alan

rlhess

Enlightened
Hi, Alan,

Thanks for the clear explanation. I wasn't sure where the limits were with modern alkalines--but I certainly found out. Yes, I know the 30W lamp is for the D8R but I wanted to see for myself how it would work in the D8.

I have done the tradeoff analysis that you describe and I'm happy with the light from alkalines in the D8 for certain applications. I suspect that your D4R is brighter with the 18W bulb vs. the 14W bulb in my D8. I probably could make a 8-123 pack and run the 30W bulb for 20 minutes <smile>, but that defeats the purpose.

I'm also happy with the allegedly 7 hour or so run time that I'll get. So far I'm quite happy with the run time on the SL-6, too.

Cheers,

Richard