Laser printing tax returns

jtr1962

Flashaholic
This might be a stupid question but I haven't been able to find the answer anywhere. Basically, I downloaded the fill-in pdfs to do my tax returns this year same as I've been doing the last few years. They save just fine with my filled-in information. My question is will the IRS accept laser-printed .pdfs, or do I have to use the preprinted forms they send me with the tax booklets each year? If they do it's a considerable time-savings over having to transfer the info by hand to the preprinted forms, along with the attendant possibility of making a mistake while doing so. The forms seem almost identical, except of course the .pdf version of the 1040 isn't in that pretty blue color.

On another note, is there a way to laser print just the text I filled in so that I can use their preprinted forms? I looked but the Adobe reader doesn't seem to have an option to print only the user-added text. This is probably the best of both worlds if it can be done.

Mr_Light

Enlightened
They wouldn't offer the forms in PDF format if they didn't want you to print your own and fill them out. We have been using these for years without any problem. The only thing they want filled in by hand is the signature.

jtr1962

Flashaholic
Thanks. :thumbsup: That's the answer I was looking for. If the IRS has accepted them from you for years then it must be OK.

PurpleDrazi

Newly Enlightened
There are *some forms* that the IRS will not accept unless you use their pre-printed forms (e.g. 1096, 1098, 1099's, etc); however, those are generally, clearly, marked.

You should be fine unless a IRS provided *.pdf file says you can't use it.

Francis