Power wheelchair suggestions

Braddah_Bill

Enlightened
Aloha,

My dad has a "Merits" power chair (MP3CF) that will not hold its charge, the battery is fairly new so we think the problem is elsewhere. The chair is about 4 to 5 years old so he wants to get a new one.

So....anyone have any experience or suggestions they could offer.

Thanks,
Bill

BIGIRON

Flashlight Enthusiast
Went thru this several years ago with my mom. Found that chairs/scooters, some still in the new shrink wrap were dirt cheap in pawn shops. Government or insurance buys them, the patient never uses them and later the family just wants them out of the house.

TedTheLed

Flashlight Enthusiast
well until Craig rolls in you could try checking the current draw and the charging current and voltage and make sure they are within normal parameters..

(or..get an isotope powered Stirling engine, much more efficient than those thermo-electric conversion units NASA used to use..NASA is switching to Stirling engines to provide low power for satellites, probes, etc..they need only a quarter as much isotope as the thermo-electric converters and they weigh much less..)

Braddah_Bill

Enlightened
Went thru this several years ago with my mom. Found that chairs/scooters, some still in the new shrink wrap were dirt cheap in pawn shops. Government or insurance buys them, the patient never uses them and later the family just wants them out of the house.

Well gee, never thought of that, thanks.

well until Craig rolls in you could try checking the current draw and the charging current and voltage and make sure they are within normal parameters..

I will also be checking into that too.

Thanks,
Bill