Cutting through the fog...

Caligvla

Newly Enlightened
Click on the photos below for a larger image.
What you can compare here is color and how the beam sprays...

You cannot compare output, I adjusted the exposure for each light so you could see the beam spread as clearly as possible

Of all the lights the SureFire X300 impresses me the most. No other manufacturer makes a weapon light for handguns that can even come remotely close to how the SureFire X300 functions, it makes a very tight beam that projects about a 12" circle of brilliant white light on your target at about 10' making not only an incredible illumination tool but can also be used for literally speed of light target acquisition. Amazing!

Note: I didn't take photos of the SureFire Scoutlight, I just got tired and didn't feel like taking it off of my shotgun...

Last edited:

Caligvla

Newly Enlightened
:kewlpics:, did you just happen to have a foggy day or do you have a smoke machine like people were joking about here?

Yup, Eliminator 1000w fog machine... it floods my den with a thick fog in seconds. You can find then on-line for $60.00, if you get one don't run out and buy a ton of fog juice, a gallon will last forever... The Eliminator fog juice also has a nice toasted marshmallow smell.

I got it to mess around with various laser optics, l also discovered it's a hell of a lot of fun with flashlights. SureFires in particular are the most fun to play with in the fog.

Tachikoma

Enlightened
As I've written in another thread I'm going to buy a fog machine to play with my lasers and flashlights, but I've been told that haze machines are better, unfortunately they cost 10 times more :(

Caligvla

Newly Enlightened
As I've written in another thread I'm going to buy a fog machine to play with my lasers and flashlights, but I've been told that haze machines are better, unfortunately they cost 10 times more :(

Haze machines are more consistent but you can get more psychedelic effects with laser with the fog machine... I'll post some pics of what I am talking about tonight... look in the laser discussion for the shots later...

Blue72

Flashlight Enthusiast
So which light or color cut through the fog the best?

Federal LG

Flashlight Enthusiast
Amazing shots! Very insteresting...

I think the light that cuts fog best is the RED one.

Thanks for sharing the pics. :thumbsup:

Caligvla

Newly Enlightened
Can we get a pic of the Mag with an Amber filter (if you have one)???

I also thought Amber would work best... I remember when I was visiting France in the late 80s all the fog lights were Amber, I figured this was for a reason...

I don't have an Amber filter for my Mag. If you want to loan me one, I'll gladly take photos of it. I do however have an Amber glo-toob, I can photograph that in the fog and compare it to the other color glo-toobs...

Patriot

Flashaholic
Great beam shots and colors. I'm still not sure which performs the best because all the lights were so different and of varying output and color. I would be neat to match close pairs and compare performance in fog though.

OceanView

Enlightened
Thanks for putting in the effort to do all these beamshots. Very pretty beamshots. Those colored beams are particularly eye catching.

I never realized that there is something called a haze machine. How is that different from a fog machine?

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
I also thought Amber would work best... I remember when I was visiting France in the late 80s all the fog lights were Amber, I figured this was for a reason...

I don't have an Amber filter for my Mag. If you want to loan me one, I'll gladly take photos of it. I do however have an Amber glo-toob, I can photograph that in the fog and compare it to the other color glo-toobs...

France lifted the regulation on selective yellow headlights in 1993.

Caligvla

Newly Enlightened
Great beam shots and colors. I'm still not sure which performs the best because all the lights were so different and of varying output and color. I would be neat to match close pairs and compare performance in fog though.

I really wasn't going for a serious fog test, I just wanted to take photos in the fog so you guys could see the beam pattern clearly in the photos... Again I have to say I am most impressed with the X300s tight beam, it almost defies the laws of light.

I can say that Microtech Warrior III was the worst to try to actually see anything in the fog. All that light reflecting off the haze was blinding... The 9P with surefire red filter did a pretty good job, but I think amber would be the key...

Caligvla

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for putting in the effort to do all these beamshots. Very pretty beamshots. Those colored beams are particularly eye catching.

I never realized that there is something called a haze machine. How is that different from a fog machine?

Haze machines put out a much finer mist, you don't get all the swirls of smoke. They have their theatrical uses, but I think fog machines are best for lasers and lights

Yucca Patrol

Enlightened
I use the selective yellow headlights because we have foggy conditions here, and I really like them. I used to have an old Mercedes that had them and have put these headlights in my cars ever since.

Caligvla

Newly Enlightened
I use the selective yellow headlights because we have foggy conditions here, and I really like them. I used to have an old Mercedes that had them and have put these headlights in my cars ever since.

Show us some pics, I would love to see em!

MichaelW

Flashlight Enthusiast
So is there much side spill to the X300?
Is it better than the Inova TIROS?