Which Inova X1 UV?

fresnorich

Newly Enlightened
My wife is a biologist and she does quite a bit of field work here in the deserts of California at night. I want to get her a UV flashlight for spotting scorpions and a few other critters. I think I've narrowed it down to an Inova X1 UV, but I'm not sure which one I should look for. Batteryjunction has one on their site they call the newer version that has a glass lens and looks like this:

X1MT-BT.jpg

Then there is the older version that doesn't have the glass lens and looks like this:

NewX1Titan.jpg

So, which one would you recommend? I would assume the newer version, but this is not always the case.

Thanks in advance for you comments.

Alero

Enlightened
This is Candlepower Forums! Get both of course!!!

The new one would be my pick because of the brightness. I'm not sure, but I belive on the UV models, the older one still has much greater run time, so that might be a factor.

Also, I'll bet they are slightly different wavelengths which might be a deciding factor. Scorpions show up best at a particular wavelength. I can't recall what it is though. I'm sure someone can tell ya though.

The X1 is inexpensive and VERY rugged and runs on a single AA. Good choice!

Warhead

Newly Enlightened
They both have a glass lens. However, the new version has a reflector and the old version uses an optic type lens, which makes it much more of a spot.

Your picture labels are backwards, the bottom one, with the reflector is the newer model.

If I had to venture a guess, I'd say the OLDER one would work better for spotlighting scorpions....simply because it's going to cast the beam further? But then again....being all spot, you're going to have to pan it around more to light em' up.

I think greenLED is the resident X1 expert, perhaps he knows about the UV models.

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't know if the UV model is same as other, but when they say spot, they really mean it. The whole beam is about the size of hotspot on average light, might make lighting things up hard to begin with.

fresnorich

Newly Enlightened
They both have a glass lens. However, the new version has a reflector and the old version uses an optic type lens, which makes it much more of a spot.

Your picture labels are backwards, the bottom one, with the reflector is the newer model.

If I had to venture a guess, I'd say the OLDER one would work better for spotlighting scorpions....simply because it's going to cast the beam further? But then again....being all spot, you're going to have to pan it around more to light em' up.

I think greenLED is the resident X1 expert, perhaps he knows about the UV models.

Thanks. I was just going off the information on the batteryjunction site which shows the optic version labeled as "Inova X1 Ultra Violet UV X1MT-UVT UV New Style"

link: http://www.batteryjunction.com/inx1uvx1.html

Warhead

Newly Enlightened
Lets hope for some more input here. I own both, but neither in UV. That is the older one labeled incorrectly in your link. I wasn't trying to slam you, just wanted to give some accurate information. Heh, I'll bet you could find a pic of the X5 labeled as the X1. :)

The more I think about it, maybe a reflector type beam would be better....catch a hint of the glow and then direct the beam onto it....rather than pan around with a tight beam.

Someone will have experience. We'll just bump this until we find it.

Last edited:

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
[babblemode]

I have the "moonbeam" and the reflector versions of the X1. I also have an X5 UV (2x123 cells, 5 UV LEDS) as well as an ARC AAA UV.

If I was "sweeping" for a target, I'd stick with the X1 reflector version or the X5 UV . I like the ARC as well, but if hunting scorpions, I think I'd stick with the Inovas. I know the ARC would work, but think the Inovas throw a bit better.

I'm in Alaska, so can't go hunting scorpions at the moment to test! :D HOWEVER, when I sweep any of them (not using the "moonbeam" light) against my bookshelf from a few feet away...anything that would "light up" with UV indeed does - A LOT!

Not sure why I kept the "moonbeam" UV...:thinking:

[/babblemode]

Last edited:

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
You may want to consider the X5UV instead of the X1UV.I have both and the X5 offers much better output.The X5 uses CR123 batteries so if you go that route add some batteries to your order at Battery Junction.There are cheap CR123s at a dollar each or less but I would stick with the name brands (Panasonic,Energizer etc.)they are usually under $2 ea. anyway.The cheap $1 CR123s seem to have quality and performance issues.

Chrontius

Flashlight Enthusiast
the Titanium branded 123a cells go for a buck a pop, and FlashlightReviews was pretty taken with them. Also, Titanium makes some of the highest-current NiMH cells out there - 10 amps from a AA cell - so they seem to know what they're doing with regards to batteries. Second cheapest I know of is Surefire cells, and I've never had anything bad happen regarding them, except for a mysteriously dead set.

Chrontius

Flashlight Enthusiast
the Titanium branded 123a cells go for a buck a pop, and FlashlightReviews was pretty taken with them. Also, Titanium makes some of the highest-current NiMH cells out there - 10 amps from a AA cell - so they seem to know what they're doing with regards to batteries. Second cheapest I know of is Surefire cells, and I've never had anything bad happen regarding them, except for a mysteriously dead set that my E2 somehow killed - not sure what happened to those.