So Much for an Impulse Buy... Best Keychain LED on DX????

umc

Enlightened
Hey all I was going to impulse buy a small lot of cheap Fauxton's from dealextreme but when looking on their site I started to think "what is the best of the cheap" When I say best I mean reliable and bright.

So, what says the hive mind? What is the best cheap fauxton light on DX?

Thanks.

ETA: link of what I'm looking at:

http://www.dealextreme.com/products.dx/category.900

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Probably the Fauxtons themselves(these or these). You can't get any simpler. LED directly connected to batteries.

Unless you want something AAA powered.

Marduke

Flashaholic
Best cheap fauxton? That narrows down your choices to one right there. Every "fauxton" is identical in construction. Your choices are just what color, and how many.

umc

Enlightened
Ok, so the 22000mcd's are all the same, just a difference between a black case and a clear case. Hmmmm, may pick up a 50 pack and then figure out what to do with them all.. :D

kramer5150

Flashaholic
There you guys go again, convincing me to buy things I don't really need.:banghead:

Are the 5mm and 10mm DX keylights any brighter than my Inova?

dscn0138pw0.jpg

pbs357

Enlightened
Is the Inova brighter than the DX 1253? My 1253's are significantly brighter and also throw better than my Fenix E0 but I've never had a chance to see the Inova in person. Now as for runtime, that's another question...

umc

Enlightened
Thanks all for the quick responses, I was still able to make that "impulse" buy because of this and have 50 of these on the way:

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Best cheap fauxton? That narrows down your choices to one right there. Every "fauxton" is identical in construction. Your choices are just what color, and how many.

Not really, There are the 10mm ones. A friend just gave me one, and the thing is ASPHERIC.....no, really,i can see the two wires in the LED, look the same as if i put a small aspheric lens in front of any 5mm...

Crenshaw

Marduke

Flashaholic
Not really, There are the 10mm ones. A friend just gave me one, and the thing is ASPHERIC.....no, really,i can see the two wires in the LED, look the same as if i put a small aspheric lens in front of any 5mm...

Crenshaw

I've never seen a 10mm Photon for there to be a "fake" for it.

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
ahh, well if you define it that closely, then yes, choices are limited to only
colours. :eek:

btw, umc

did you know bulkrate-ing 5 of the 10 pack is cheaper then the 50 pack?
:D it is in the product forum..

Crenshaw

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
well, less spill thena fauxton i can tell you that. Thing is my friend put in a resistor into the circuit, cos 3v its actually overdriving the emitter a bit. So he put in the resistor so you get a dimmer, yet longer running light, thats not being over driven. but there is almost no spill from mine

Crenshaw

Jay R

Flashlight Enthusiast
The 10mm ones have a beam so well focused that you can see the shadow of the LEDs two wires in the hotspot. It's a bit distracting. I don't like them much as they are too big and don't produce any more light or runtime than the smaller ones. I always have a stock of the white 5mm in my draw at work to give away to people.
Also, the white ones are brighter than the black. No doubt because the plastic doesn't absorb the light so much.

umc

Enlightened
Well I got my 50 pack of Fauxton's yesterday and loved them so much ordered another 50.:eek:

I already managed to give away 7 of them in just a couple hours without even trying which was interesting. I took one and been playing with it and seeing what these things are all about.

I ran it for a while to see how long they lasted, I only have about 40 minutes on it so far and it's still going strong. Any idea on runtime for these?

I also intentionally dropped it on the cement from 5 feet just to see what would happen and it came out fine even after 3 drops. However just a slight brush of the constant on switch activated the light so something changed. I took the light apart to see what was what and was able to fix the light by bending one of the led leads, screwed it back together and it's good as new again.

I think I might like these little .47 cent lights more than my high dollar ones.:D and I'm not afraid to work on them.:) I'm satisfied with the amount of light they put out as well especially considering their size and what they are. So, A+ from me on the little DX Fauxton.

Also, I ordered these on April first and they got here April 16th, so not bad on the shipping time.

2xTrinity

Flashlight Enthusiast
"Advanced" fauxtons are another group I've yet to see on there. These don't use a simple squeeze the leads to make contact setup, but actually have a toggle switch to click on/click off. Easier to use than the sliding contact. The downside is that if they swtich on accidentally they could run the battery down. They are also waterproof (I've had one survive the washing machine) unharmed.

I would say these are the "best" keychain light, if by keychain you mean coincell. If by keychain light in general, I'd say the Liteflux LF2x is the best one they sell by far, though for a few bucks more, get it from Khoo on these boards ;)

swxb12

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like the 22,000mcd clear casing ones.

I also recommend those Pig lights for fun factor. Switch quality is a little sucky, but you get double blue beams of fun. Put like 10 of them on your keychain just to see how people react.

Avoid the 10mm LED 'focused' giant fauxtons. They are oversized and the beam isn't as functional, imo.

When will we see GS/DS (?) type LEDs in fauxtons? :)

I received one of those 'advanced' fauxtons for free from BatteryJunction (thanks MattK and co.). It seems to be much dimmer than my DX fauxtons, but maybe it was just luck of the draw. (or one high capacity CR cell instead of two cells for longer runtime and less brightness?)

Last edited: