How Many Flashlights Can you buy in a Month?

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, here goes...

2 Inova X-1's (Target had them in the clearance section for $13!!!)
3 Garrity 3-AAA 6-Led's (2-Yellow and 1 Black...the yellow ones are for the kiddo's so they don't ruin my SF's) $6.95ea.
1 Seattle Sports "Hydro Star" Emergency Strobe $35
1 Coghlans Strobe $12
2 Smith & Wesson "Trail Marker Lights" (Red LED Clip lights w/ velcro AND Magnetic Bases...Pretty Neat) $7.95ea.
1 Energizer "Hard Case Pro." Swivel head (80 Lumens!!!) $35
1 Garrity 4-AA (Swapped out the Krypton bulb for a 3-Cell Magnum Star Xenon...LOL!) $3 (+$5 for the Magnum Star Xenon)
2 Coleman Camp Marker Lights...not too impressed...they should have a "Flash" setting...$5
1 Princeton Tec "Pilot"...to attach to the side of my Foxfury Signature Outdoors!!!! $10
1 "Pink"...yes...pink....Coleman mini-lantern...for the wife of course...I replaced the Krypton bulb with a Nite-Ize mag-lite LED...not to shabby!!! $8
1 Rayovac 2-D "Adjustable Beam" (kinda retro)...once again, swapped out the kryp. bulb w/ a Craftsman variable watt LED...$4.95

16 Friggin lights!!! Some of them were on sale...Do I have a problem???:grin2:

ttran97

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't know how many lights I bought in March...but I do know that I spent over $2,000 on lights in March. :sick2: :drool: :sigh: :faint:

Zenster

Enlightened
I don't think there's a legal limit yet. Except maybe in California and possibly Washington D.C. :crackup:

warlord

Enlightened
You can buy a lot more than that especially if your not just buying from yourself... I was good last month and only bought 10 (or so)

paulr

Flashaholic
I think a lot of us go through a phase of buying cheap lights like that. I've bought fauxtons 50 at a time, and bought a dozen or so princeton tec lights on closeout a while back. More recently I've concentrated on CPF-designed custom lights that tend to cost a lot more, i.e. quantity is down, quality is up :).

FILIPPO

Flashlight Enthusiast
depends on the flashlight price...sometimes people on this forum can't resist buying flashlight.......:broke:

:grin2:

scottaw

Enlightened
I haven't bought a light in months, in fact, i sold a few so am I negative? uh oh.... gotta get off the leatherman phase and back to some lights.

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
Question is:
WHY?

Is it necessary to have all those lights?
(sure it is, everyone of us has quite some) :rolleyes:
but how many does one actually use?

And why get a light that is crap, when one already has better ones?
Just because they are on sale? :thinking:
out of the ones mentionned above, I would not get one.

I EDC a CR123 light, and, when I get into the dark with a 100 % chance, take my 18650 multistage led-light, with covers everything from navigating around to mountainbike nightriding (for me)

Last edited:

DrunkenDonut

Newly Enlightened
Question is:
WHY?

Is it necessary to have all those lights?

I think the answer is usually a "no," but it's certainly fun collecting them. Collections usually grow with time too. I don't think anyone sets out to buy a collection all at once and then never buy anything again. Since they are not all necessary, lights will get sold off over time too, hence the traffic in BST and CPFMP.

but how many does one actually use?
As many as we can carry or keep close by. :D

And why get a light that is crap, when one already has better ones?
Just because they are on sale? :thinking:
In many cases it's curiosity - "can cheap cheap lights be good / of any use?" Sometimes it's modding potential.

I EDC an AA light (for now) becuase I happen to have a convenient supply of good AA NiMH (but no LSD yet). I buy lights that I could find useful and have potential to last a long time. I may also buy if I think it has really good value - the cheapest I'm keeping an eye on at the moment is a Fenix E01. Most of the lights I'm looking at are hovering around $50, so I hold off on purchases. I also happen to love gadgets, and like keeping my "toys" updated. Even if I don't buy, I love to read about stuff and build up a nice wishlist.

To quote from another thread "Hang on to your wallet!" Good advice. :twothumbs

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
Most of these are special purpose (the Seattle Sports Strobe, Smith-Wesson Tactical Trail Markers, and Streamlight UV Stylus)...but I bought the "Lower End-Good Quality" ones for the kiddo's...so they don't drop my $90 Surefire's in the river. The Inova X-1's are great EDC Back-up's and are also great for throwing in a bug-out bag or first-aid kit...I probably didn't NEED them...but then again, I wouldn't have posted this on CPF...:popcorn:

OceanView

Enlightened
16 Friggin lights!!! Some of them were on sale...Do I have a problem???:grin2:
Heh-heh. I know the feeling. Here's a question--are any of them still unopened? Sometimes I'll do an impulse buy but never get around to even taking it out of the blister pack.

importculture

Newly Enlightened
I don't have any lights that are unopened. I always test them and remove any batteries before storing my newfound lights. I don't even remember what was the most amount of lights I've bought in a month. I know when I was a surefire supplier I bought 2 or 3 of each of their non polymer lights. I stopped being a supplier cause I ended up keeping too much of my own stock. Besides I made a few supplier friends here and so buying surefires at discount is no problem not to mention there's no overhead to worry about. I think this month alone I've already bought 4 UA2's on preorder from a friend, 3 U30zebralights-2LOD Q4's-2P2D Q5's-1P3D Q5 from fenix-store, I've got a LED Lenser HP T7 from lights and knives.com on preorder, A jet-1I.B.S-2jet-2's I.B.S on preorder from bugoutgear, A Romisen RC-T5 from deal extreme, 2 6D mags along with 2 Terralux TLE-300's from batteryjunction.com, and still waiting on 2 zebralightU50's from zebralight.com. Not to mention planning to ask Scott to help me make use of my dead L4's and soon to be outdated U2's. As for selling lights I don't think I've ever sold any I've bought for my self. My collection of lights is getting insane. I've even bought pants just so I could carry more lights on me and a bunch of spare batteries. If anyone wants quality pants capable of carrying everything you may need you've gotta get a bunch of Ralph Lauren Polo cargos #41381. I don't know if they still make em but if you can find em they last a long time. I edc an L4 for wide illumination, an A2 for lending out to someone, a kroma for it's multiple led colors, an e2d for more throw, a P2D Q5 for everyday usage (I use my lights pretty frequently and have burned out 2 L4's and 3 P2D's), an LOD Q4 on my keyring along with a zebralightU50, an L1D for AA usage and to justify carrying around AA's and as a potential spare head in case the P2D burns out. Along with multiple spares carriers for AA's, AAA's, and CR123's. The spares carriers for the AA, AAA's are from brightguy.com. I think the CR123 carrier is from bugoutgear. I've given surefire's out to friends and family for special occasions for years and I've converted more than a few friends into full blooded flashaholics. I buy so much lights I wonder how well the flashlight business doing. Especially in this down economy. By any chance has anyone else used any led flashlights frequently enough to where the output is significantly diminished or completely burned out?

OceanView

Enlightened
I've even bought pants just so I could carry more lights on me and a bunch of spare batteries.
I know lot's of CPFers like cargo pants because they can EDC even fairly big lights, like a SF U2, but I think you're the first person I can recall who said that they bought the pants for the flashlights. :laughing:

It's been a while since I've read about anyone using a mass manufactured light enough to dim noticeably--and these were lights that used 5mm LED's, typically overdriven. Something like a well used SL Propoly 7LED model.

importculture

Newly Enlightened
Haha, I know everyone I know couldn't understand why I'd buy pants just to hold more lights. If you like cargos you've got to buy those polo cargos they're made very durable and have pockets for everything. I know alot of people on here have alot more lights than me but I believe I'm still a pretty die hard flashaholic. I always figured led's dim with use. Although I've heard it could also be due to running them for expended periods of time. I've used P2D's for more than an hour at a time so maybe it's due to heat. My current P2D Q5 has already lost it's turbo mode. I've never thought anything of the dimmimg due to the fact that I've more than got my 60$ worth of use out of them. Thanks for the reply. Hopefully there's more people on here that can shed some light on this topic.

I know lot's of CPFers like cargo pants because they can EDC even fairly big lights, like a SF U2, but I think you're the first person I can recall who said that they bought the pants for the flashlights. :laughing:

It's been a while since I've read about anyone using a mass manufactured light enough to dim noticeably--and these were lights that used 5mm LED's, typically overdriven. Something like a well used SL Propoly 7LED model.