Inova T5 vs Inova T3

radu1976

Enlightened
Among others I have 2 TIROS INOVAs : T5 and T3.
T5 throws about the same like T3, maybe the output is 10-15% more.
I do not get why the T5 - using 3CR123 and having about 3hrs runtime, so 60min/battery - is more expensive , about $20 more than its little brother T3 - that is using 2 CR123 to have a flat output for about 2hr20 min, so about 70min/battery -.
T5 is by FAR longer 9' comparative to 6' and less economical ...
As I have read some opinions about the latest versions of T3 and T5 ...same ideea : both using 3 CR123 , about the same brightness and runtime.
Then, somebody to explain

me why is T5 more pricey :shrug: Maybe because it can used as a stick for autodefense
thinking.gif
More material, thicker aluminium tube ?

Last edited:

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
There is another difference between the T4/T5 and T3. The T4 and T5 series have a side mounted switch. The smaller T3 employs a tail switch.

Russianesq

Enlightened
The Inova T5 for 2008 is very different from the previous models. First, it has 3 modes. High, Low and Strobe. The previous models were only 1 mode. The 2008 is also significantly brighter then the previous models. I would say that it is twice as bright.

Second, the Inova T5 for 2008 can use rechargeable 17500 batteries. I use AW batteries without any problems. The previous models are not bored out wide enough and u have to use primaries CR123. That gets very expensive. The ability to use rechargeable batteries to me is just a huge selling point as the primary batteries gets sucked out of this unit.

I have a Inova T3 and it is handier then the T5. However, the T5 uses a side switch the T3 uses a tail mounted switch. If u grew up with Maglite the side switch is just more natural to some people.

An advantage of the T3 is that it has a lock out switch. This is a great feature if u are going to throw the light in the dash of your car. There is no way that it can be accidentally turned on. A great feature for a dash light.

One last point. If you are going to use the T3 or T5 around the house, the size makes little difference. If u have both sitting on the shelf then the extra few inches will not get in the way. If you are going to have them on a belt then it could make the difference between a comfortable and uncomfortable light.

As far as my usage goes, its like this T5 is getting used more since I can recharge the batteries. The T3 goes in the dash as it is a great light but without the ability of rechargeable batteries.

BMF

Enlightened
The Inova T5 for 2008 is very different from the previous models. First, it has 3 modes. High, Low and Strobe. The previous models were only 1 mode. The 2008 is also significantly brighter then the previous models. I would say that it is twice as bright.

Second, the Inova T5 for 2008 can use rechargeable 17500 batteries. I use AW batteries without any problems. The previous models are not bored out wide enough and u have to use primaries CR123. That gets very expensive. The ability to use rechargeable batteries to me is just a huge selling point as the primary batteries gets sucked out of this unit.

I have a Inova T3 and it is handier then the T5. However, the T5 uses a side switch the T3 uses a tail mounted switch. If u grew up with Maglite the side switch is just more natural to some people.

An advantage of the T3 is that it has a lock out switch. This is a great feature if u are going to throw the light in the dash of your car. There is no way that it can be accidentally turned on. A great feature for a dash light.

One last point. If you are going to use the T3 or T5 around the house, the size makes little difference. If u have both sitting on the shelf then the extra few inches will not get in the way. If you are going to have them on a belt then it could make the difference between a comfortable and uncomfortable light.

As far as my usage goes, its like this T5 is getting used more since I can recharge the batteries. The T3 goes in the dash as it is a great light but without the ability of rechargeable batteries.

+1 on it. The lock out switch would be very useful for 2008 T5. I just found out yesterday when turned my T5 on and no light, it ran out of juices of all 3 CR123 in there. I have no idea when it turned on and for how long: missed a runtime test, hehe.

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good to know it can use 17500s. I want one a bit more now. :D
Hmmm so many lights so little money.

Xak

Enlightened
Which is brighter, which has more spill out of the new 2008 models? They are both 3x123, other than the T5 having a UI what is the difference in the beams?

half-watt

Flashlight Enthusiast

Second, the Inova T5 for 2008 can use rechargeable 17500 batteries. I use AW batteries without any problems.

the '08 T5 actually has FOUR modes. the three that you stated, plus a MOMENTARY mode. now, the momentary mode is NOT what one has come to expect from,... let's say, a SureFire light.

By this i mean, that the T5 momentary mode is not a "natural" function of a fwd. clickie switch as it is in a SF light. to enter momentary mode, the user must, from the light is OFF starting point, press and hold the switch for at least 0.5sec, and then release the switch. the T5 is now in a temporary momentary mode. whenever the switch is pressed, the T5 comes on in MOMENTARY HI, and will remain so until the switch is released. it will do this (i.e. remain in momentary mode) repeatedly, until canceled (intentionally or unintentionally) by the user.

the caveat, which led me to call this a "temporary" momentary mode, is that if, from the light is OFF starting point, the switch is pressed and released for, i'd say,... <0.25sec (i.e. a quick click or press and release, just as one might do to normally switch a light ON), then the light switches (i.e. latches) ON HI o.p. mode, and the momentary mode of operation is canceled. so, quick momentary button press and release cancels the "temporary" momentary mode and returns the light to it's normal operating mode.

thank you for mentioning the 2x17500 power source for the T5. i didn't realize that, though it makes perfect sense. that also explains the 3xCR123A battery carrier that the T5 comes with. this gives the T5 the extra I.D. to fit the 17500 cells.

i'm very impressed with the '08 T5-MP. surprisingly impressed. my only other experiences with Inova are the 24/7 (interesting, but could be a bit better - i rarely use mine; one is on the nightstand next to my bed), and an early X5, which i like very much. i might look into some of the other Inova lights (T1, T2, T3, or X0, or X03). any suggestions from anyone on which would be next in line to acquire (and why)?

lastly, anyone, one question on the X5, do the new '08 X5's use a brighter LED than my earlier (maybe 4-5yrs old, i forget) X5? if so, that would be a reason for me to get an '08 X5. many thanks.

EDIT:
----
rereading this Post leads to me say that my description of the '08 T5 MP momentary mode in that Post leaves a lot to be desired and i understand how this would have both misled and confused at least one reader, in this case khoo, who was kind enough to reply to me below.

PLEASE BE SURE TO READ HIS REPLY to me, as well as my reply below to him - ESPECIALLY HIS POST and my EDIT there in my reply to him - all of which is below in their respective Posts.

in order to not do damage to "Thread Integrity" and make khoo's reply to me, less clear, i will NOT change my description here. however, i will EDIT my Posts, to which khoo replied, to indicated that khoo's reply and this post (particularly this EDIT) *NEEDS* to be read also so that my poor wording does NOT mislead anyone else.

my apologies for any confusion that i've caused.
half-wit

Last edited:

LED Cool

Enlightened
my 2008 T5 has momentary mode all the time. for my T5, there is no need to enter momentary mode by, quote

"press and hold the switch for at least 0.5sec, and then release the switch."

and my momentary mode do not cancel itself when i click on my T5.

from OFF,
press and hold, light gives high output. release button, light turns off.
one click, gives high output.
and quickly follow by another click gives low output.

when turn on at high or low,
double clicks gives strobe.

you might want to double check on your T5.

khoo

LED Cool

Enlightened
+1 on it. The lock out switch would be very useful for 2008 T5. I just found out yesterday when turned my T5 on and no light, it ran out of juices of all 3 CR123 in there. I have no idea when it turned on and for how long: missed a runtime test, hehe.

BMF,
your scenario happed to me twice. so i did some test and found out that my T5 will drain off my fully charged protected 17500s in about 2 - 3 weeks.

i put in fully charged protected 2x17500 (8.4V)and took them out in 3 days to measure the voltage which has drop to 8.1V. i did not use the T5 in those 3 days.

O.T. here, anyone has their T5 batteries becoming flat without using them?

khoo

half-watt

Flashlight Enthusiast
my 2008 T5 has momentary mode all the time. for my T5, there is no need to enter momentary mode
you might want to double check on your T5.

khoo

khoo, my '08 T5 MP is functioning EXACTLY like the printed directions that came with it. that's how i learned to operate/activate all four modes of operation.

you might want to check your T5 . is yours the '08 T5 MP, or just the '07 T5 model? i'm not sure of the differences (other than light o.p. rating) b/t these two lights.

my instructions specifically say to hold for 0.5 second, otherwise it will go into HI mode as we both said. you can't just quickly click and release the switch to give a very brief burst of light. if you do, the light, just as we both said in our Posts, will be latched on to HI output.

i think that we both might be sayin' the same thing, though and my description isn't good. my use of "temporary momentary mode" probably led to this confusion. this description was to try to distinguish it from a true fwd. clickie momentary where <0.25 bursts of momentary o.p. are possible. based upon the printed directions on the insert that came with my '08 T5 MP and my personal experience, such short bursts of momentary output are simply not possible with my '08 T5 MP.

could there be firmware/programming/hardware differences b/t our two respective lights? don't know, but possibly might be???

EDIT:
----
rereading my prev. Post to which the above is a reply leads to me say that my description of the '08 T5 MP momentary mode in that Post leaves a lot to be desired and i understand how this would have both misled and confused a reader, in this case khoo, who was kind enough to reply to me.

in order to not do damage to "Thread Integrity" and make khoo's reply to me, less clear, i will NOT change my description. however, i will EDIT my prev. Post, to which khoo replied, to indicated that khoo's reply and this post (particularly this EDIT) *NEEDS* to be read also so that my poor wording does NOT mislead anyone else.

my apologies for any confusion that i've caused.
half-wit

Last edited:

LED Cool

Enlightened
mine is a 2008 T5 with high, low & strobe.
i see now where we have the confusion.

what you are trying to say is that the T5 switch cannot do momentary on for less than 0.25 seconds. such as three quick flashes. whereas a true forward clicky can perform very short flashes. the T5 switch can only do momentary long flash. i.e. the switch has to be press and hold for more than 0.5 seconds to behave as momentary.

from your initial description, i thought you were saying that user will have to enable the momentary function by pressing for 0.5 seconds and release.

so now we both have the same light that operates the same way.
no firmware/programming/hardware differences b/t our two respective lights

does your T5 drain your batteries?

cheers.
khoo

half-watt

Flashlight Enthusiast
oh. didn't noticed you have edited your post when i was composing my reply.

anyway :thumbsup:
khoo

khoo, i figured out, by rereading what i initially Posted, that my wording was very poor and misleading. thanks for being so patient with me. you are very kind.

as far as parasitic drain, my '08 T5 MP is soooo new (received it just yesterday), that i can't say. it would be a shame if the electronics required a constant, minute parasitic draw from the battery to be able to recognize the initial switch closure.

better would be to power up the electronics with the switch closure and then have it very quickly (<100ms, no doubt) begin monitoring switch activity and debounce, as well as powering up the emitter and its related electronics.

the simple solution for storage (even just overnight, er... i mean "over-day", for example) might be, with the light turned ON, just loosen the tailcap (i've just tried, it takes ~2.5-plus to ~2.75 full [sic] turns) until the light turns OFF. this would, hopefully, also eliminate any parasitic drain on the battery. guess i could put a DMM in series with the battery and removed tailcap and see if there is current draw - something for me to do later on today.

khoo, somewhat OT (it's Inova related, but not T3, T5 related), but do you know (or anyone else, for that matter) know if the new '08 Inova X5 has brighter 5mm LEDs than, oh..., let's say, one i purchased 4 to 5 years ago? many thanks in advance for a reply.

Aluminous

Enlightened
lastly, anyone, one question on the X5, do the new '08 X5's use a brighter LED than my earlier (maybe 4-5yrs old, i forget) X5? if so, that would be a reason for me to get an '08 X5. many thanks.
There have not been any significant changes to the Inova X5 so far in 2008. However, there have been changes after the time you bought yours -- current ones are about twice as bright. There have been basically three generations so far.

Gen1: about 12 lumens, ?? - August 2002. Fluted body. First sub-version had twist-head only, and smaller lanyard hole. There was also a second sub-version (Gen1.5?) briefly available before Gen2, with a twist tailcap with rubber button for momentary-on.

Gen2: about 15 lumens, August 2002 - April 2006. Hexagonal body. Twist/momentary. Packaged with belt pouch. Inova name on metal ring around rubber tailcap button.

Gen3: about 30 lumens, April 2006 - present. Nichia CS 5mm LEDs. Hexagonal body. Twist/momentary. Packaged with lanyard. Inova name on rubber tailcap button.

Last edited:

half-watt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Gen3: about 30 lumens, April 2006 - present. Nichia CS 5mm LEDs. Hexagonal body. Twist/momentary. Packaged with lanyard. Inova name on rubber tailcap button.

Al, many thanks for the swift reply. so, now, later today after they wake up and begin their business days, after phoning either BatteryJunction or BrightGuy and ensuring that they will ship me an April '06 or later X5, i will need to be orderin' me-self a new one. again, many thanks, your knowledgeable and detailed reply was and is greatly appreciated.

Aluminous

Enlightened
Al, many thanks for the swift reply. so, now, later today after they wake up and begin their business days, after phoning either BatteryJunction or BrightGuy and ensuring that they will ship me an April '06 or later X5, i will need to be orderin' me-self a new one. again, many thanks, your knowledgeable and detailed reply was and is greatly appreciated.

Glad to help! :cool: I'm a Gen2 X5 owner too.

MichaelW

Flashlight Enthusiast
the simple solution for storage (even just overnight, er... i mean "over-day", for example) might be, with the light turned ON, just loosen the tailcap (i've just tried, it takes ~2.5-plus to ~2.75 full [sic] turns) until the light turns OFF. this would, hopefully, also eliminate any parasitic drain on the battery. guess i could put a DMM in series with the battery and removed tailcap and see if there is current draw - something for me to do later on today.

Did you get a chance to put a DMM on the T5-mp to see what, if any, power off current draw there is?

Thank you.

half-watt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Did you get a chance to put a DMM on the T5-mp to see what, if any, power off current draw there is?

short ans:

no

brief ans:

i did get a chance, but didn't bother to attempt to make a measurement. why? please refer to the longer ans.

longer ans:

after Posting my prev. Post, i realized that measuring current in the T5-MP might prove a tad difficult w/o some long probes of some sort due to the design of the battery carrier.

in order to perform the measurement, would need to make some long insulated (except for the tips) probes that would reach down the length of the battery tube in order to reach the terminals that the battery carrier normally makes contact with when it is inserted fully into the battery tube.

even if i did acquire from somewhere some thin metal rods and insulate them with some tape, i'm not sure that a test like i'm envisioning would really prove anything. the battery carrier would need to come out of the tube and this is artificial and not representative of the true position of the carrier with the tailcap unscrewed/loosened a bit.

for the light to turn OFF when unscrewing the tailcap, i assume that the battery carrier stopped making contact. hence, no current can flow if the carrier is NOT making contact at one or both terminals. therefore, i would expect to read 0ma current flow.

-------
if you have a better idea as to how to test this, please advise. many thanks.

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
BMF,
your scenario happed to me twice. so i did some test and found out that my T5 will drain off my fully charged protected 17500s in about 2 - 3 weeks.

i put in fully charged protected 2x17500 (8.4V)and took them out in 3 days to measure the voltage which has drop to 8.1V. i did not use the T5 in those 3 days.

O.T. here, anyone has their T5 batteries becoming flat without using them?

khoo

The batteries in my T5 are being drained as well.Several times I have picked up the T5 after sitting unused for several days and the batteries are dead.Testing the batteries on a ZTS tester they don't even register.I was thinking that I had a defective light but as others are reporting this maybe it is a design flaw.I may try an email to Emissive Energy and see what thier reply is.I am a big fan of INOVA lights but I am not happy with a light that drains the batteries when turned off.