Toyota Tacoma year 95-00 truck frame corrosion issues.

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Toyota Tacoma year 95-00 truck corrosion issues.

Classy move on Toyota's part. Shows reputation means more than quarterly bottom line to their management. Would that other companies shared that view...

jugg2

Enlightened

Whew! Mine is an 01. Toyota is a good company; I'm glad to hear they are making it right with the owners.

kitelights

Flashlight Enthusiast

They're doing way more than just making it right.

I had a similar situation about 15 years ago on a 12 year old Tercel that I bought for my daughter as her first car. A year or two after we had it, the axle rusted loose from the frame. I shopped around for a used one to replace and I was fortunate enough to call an honest shop that told me to check with the dealer about a recall.

I took a used 12 year old vehicle with about 150K miles on it in and they replaced the entire rear axle assembly and didn't charge me a dime.

I've got three Toyotas now and my daughter is married and they own three.

Gene

Flashlight Enthusiast

Funny though that Toyota would still be dealing with this problem. My '84 pickup, (which I bought used and was a total Calif. vehicle), had rust popping out everywhere when I sold it for cheap.

adamlau

Flashlight Enthusiast

We have an '04 :twothumbs .

Braddah_Bill

Enlightened

2003 - 4X4 - 5 speed standard here, but good information to keep in mind. I'll be keeping an eye on mine.

Bill

light_emitting_dude

Flashlight Enthusiast

UPDATE!

Well I took my 97 Tacoma in today for inspection and it failed the ball peen hammer test. It punched a hole through the frame of the truck with a good whack. There were several other Tacoma owners there and one just had the frame welded on his. He will be getting a buyout also.

Much to my surprise, Toyota has given my a FREE rental car though Enterprise until I hear from Toyota because the vehicle is deemed unsafe to drive. I am suppose to get 1 1/2 the retail value in excellent condition regardless the actual vehicles condition! KBB puts my truck at about $7,400 so I should get around $11,000. I'll take that for my 11 year old truck. No paperwork or agreements were signed and I still have the title so I just have to wait until I hear from Toyota. All 95-00 Tacoma owners should be getting letters from Toyota regarding this frame issue.

Kinda like SF customer service eh?

Last edited:

light_emitting_dude

Flashlight Enthusiast

:mecry:

Just another note. I never knew one could be so attached to a vehicle. I am the original owner and have had it 11 years. I have a lot of memories associated with that truck and I felt horrible when I had to see it go.

Its just too bad. The body was in pristine condition and it just had 63,000 miles. Never let me down once.

So long old faithful truck. :mecry:

kramer5150

Flashaholic
Wow... thats surprising to say the least.

Those frames are completely enclosed box-channel e-coated and (IIRC) powder coated black. I spent 1997-2000 as a quality engineer for Toyota, and spent a good deal of my time monitoring quality levels of those frames coming out of Dana in Stockton Cal. Its the same Dana that makes rear axles for Ford/Chevy. I don't recall ever having to follow up on any red-rust or corrosion problems on those frames during my stint working there.

Good Luck to all the taco owners though... its a great truck (OK I'm a little biased).

U guys want any "dirt", behind the scenes stories about your trucks... just let me know:twothumbs.