Please Recommend a LED Drop In for Surefire 3P

seattlite

Enlightened
Hello,

Can anyone with experience recommend a LED drop in module for the Surefire 3P. I don't care about run-time, I just want the highest output from an RCR123.

Ability to take up to 8.4V would also be a plus.

Thanks,
Richard

kavvika

Enlightened
The driver board DX #3256 is regulated on 1 Li-Ion to 2x primary CR123A's. It comes in the Cree module DX #1343, but I don't know how well that will fit in a 3P

Justin Case

Flashlight Enthusiast
Within the limited voltage of a single RCR123, I would recommend:
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.6076
or
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.11810

Most of the P60 dropins have voltage ranges 3.7V and higher. A RCR123 would have no problem running one, but it won't stay in regulation as long as one of the two I listed above.

DX11810 appears to be the wrong size and is not a P60 drop-in. The reflector is 22.8 mm, not 26 mm, which is the P60 reflector's size. The overall length (33.6 mm) and reflector to brass base length (24 mm) are also short. In contrast, overall length of a P60 is about 35 mm, and distance from reflector to far end of the outer spring is about 30 mm. Granted that the springs do compress, so that the actual required lengths are a little shorter. But I think that the DX11810's reflector to brass base length of 24 mm is going to be a problem, if you have to remove the DX11810's outer spring to avoid bezel gap (besides the fact that the reflector diameter looks to be too small). The corresponding dimension in a DX6090 is about 28 mm minimum (you can unscrew the pill to increase this dimension). In a G2, I find that even this is too short and that I have to unscrew the pill to increase the length to more like 30 mm (or use a washer or single-turn spring to take up the slack).

I have no experience with the DX6076, but the user feedback on the DX web site seems to suggest that the beam color is a little bluish and that the DX6090 is better.

I do have some experience with the DX6090. In a SureFire 3P driven by one 3.7V AW protected cell, I get about 50 min run time before the beam intensity begins to decrease noticeably. I measured about 3300 lux at 1 meter for the hot spot and 60 lux at the outer edge of the spill. For comparison, I measured about 6300/100 lux in a 6P driven by two SureFire CR123A primaries.

I also have tested a Kaidomain 2363 4-mode drop-in in the 3P. When driven by one AW cell, I measured about 1300/980/420 lux for the high/medium/low modes, respectively (about 70/50/25 for the spill). In a 6P driven by two SF primaries, I measured basically the same output.

For reference, I measured 2400/24 lux for a 90 lumen Gladius. So a 3P/DX6090 is certainly bright enough to hold its own as a tac light.

I had to remove the outer spring for these drop-in lamps to be able to screw down the 3P's bezel all the way without a gap. However, when I swapped the bezel with a Z32 weaponlight bezel, I could use the outer spring and had no bezel gap problems.

Last edited: