Newbie with WF-606A

Pummy

Newly Enlightened
Hi

Got 3 of these on a whim from a friend visiting HK and am very impressed for the size / output. However looking through the forums I was unable to find a few answer to questions...

Power Source:
Very impressed with the CR2 output and form factor, so now I am starting to look for protected RCR2's I have having some difficulty in finding some that are protected and available in the UK. I would try and ship from the US however I read an article that demonstrated it was illegal to ship them by air. So anyone in the UK have a source for these cells?

Single AA conversion:
Testing this with a single AA, the output is still quite useable for my purposes (midnight lemonade runs to the fridge) and I would like to be able to get the barrel modified but have no machining tools available for the job. Is there an available barrel that will mate with the head or are there people around who can supply a shortened barrel? This would also lend itself very well to a single 14500 ( Believe this is AA equiv) lithium conversion.

Power Consumption:
Tested this and found these currents...

2*AA = 1500mAh (2000 mAh NiMh)
CR2 = 1500mAh (Panasonic Primary CR2)
1*AA = 500mAh (Half depleted Energizer)

Which were contrary to the results others had posted and was looking for some comment it. I have not taken apart the "pill" (think that is the correct term) to look at the driver board yet as I think this is not a regulated driver.

Great forum, lots of knowledge from what I have read, however I am still learning about my torch so until I get fully acquianted with the search and sections, you may see a post or 2 from me.

Thanks

kosPap

Flashlight Enthusiast
well the article may regard bulk shipment (pallet size)

Two days ago I got 24 CR123s from Lighthound just fine!

Pummy

Newly Enlightened
Thanks everyone. I will be putting in an order soon as AW comes back online.

Looking at the charger I am now thinking maybe I should invest in a decent charger for these as well as my existing NiMh stock so I can make full use of them. Any recommendations would be well received. I will be searching when I get home tonight.

Has anyone else had a look at the possibility of interchangeable barrels and also the power consumption readings I am seeing?

The 14500 gives me an option to run a single lithium AND makes the barrel easy to hold in my hand over the very short CR2 body.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
AW would be good for Li-ion batteries.

14500s would be 3.7v instread of 1.2v of a NiMh battery, so the driver would make the light brighter. Try a battery + spacer.

I don't think there are any 1AA tubes for the WF-606.

As for chargers, check the batterys section.

:welcome:

ernsanada

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just tried some AW's Protected 14500 (Black) in my WF-606A and they don't fit in the battery tube.

I have an Ultrafire Unprotected 14500 and it fits.

Duracell Nimh 2650mAh Rechargeable AA batteries don't fit.

Pummy

Newly Enlightened
I just tried some AW's Protected 14500 (Black) in my WF-606A and they don't fit in the battery tube.
I have an Ultrafire Unprotected 14500 and it fits.
Duracell Nimh 2650mAh Rechargeable AA batteries don't fit.

I don't think there are any 1AA tubes for the WF-606.

AW would be good for Li-ion batteries.
14500s would be 3.7v instread of 1.2v of a NiMh battery, so the driver would make the light brighter. Try a battery + spacer.

Looks like I will have to make do with an AW RCR2 for both, with the barrel in my pocket for emergency primaries.

As for chargers, check the batterys section.

I will check it out.

Thanks for the feedback everyone. :twothumbs