Anyone have a Volkswagen Eurovan?

avusblue

Enlightened
We went van shopping over the weekend, looking to replace our 100+K mile 93 Plymouth Voyager. With three kids (all playing hockey) we could use a little more space than the run of the mill minivan. We looked at the Chevy and Ford full sized vans and they have tons of space, and I liked them a lot (particularly the Chevy). Great power and bang for the buck compared to a minivan or any SUV. But, mama bear found them a bit unwieldy to drive. Plus she's scared off by the rear wheel drive in wintertime.

So we also looked at an unlikely candidate, the VW Eurovan. It has a footprint closer to the conventional minivans, but has interior space almost equal to the full sized vans, mostly because of its tall, boxy body and low load floor. Also, I found that it offers a ride and drive feel that is similar to a European car, and it turns tightly and has FWD. I found myself endeared to its design and functionality and we liked that its' a bit unique. It certainly looks like nothing else out there right now.

gal_lg_ext_7.jpg

They also still offer an option package with the traditional "pop-top" featured on VW campers of the hippy generation and have a model with a little fridge and fold-out table to go with seating that converts into a bed. Overall, I like it. Keep in mind I drive a VW Jetta, so I do like VWs in general; I've owned 9 VWs over the years myself.

But the Eurovan seems to be a rare "niche" vehicle and as such, I wonder about the reliability and durability of the VW compared to a "dime-a-dozen" brand van, considering we'd likely keep the van for 10+ years.

Does anyone out there own one of these oddities, and what have been your impressions / experiences?

Thanks,

Dave

D

**DONOTDELETE**

my friend has one, he got it used, I'll have him say a few words about it here next time he comes over. I can tell you he used to be a steady Volvo user..

Brock

Flashaholic
Best of all it comes in TDI /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I heard rumor that it will be released in 2004, I don't know if that means the 2004 model year or actualy in 2004 or the 2005 model year.

I couldn't wait that long so I ordered the TDI Jetta Wagon, but that probably isn't enough room for you.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

my friend who owns the Eurovan is here. He says; they have plenty of power the gas mileage sucks, about 16-18 to the gal. more if you detune it. (advance the timing) working on them is a biotch because things are arranged inconveniently, and the parts are expensive. so far it doesn't need maintenaince too often but it has 186,000 miles on it!..still the original motor and still runs 'fairly good'. The Euro is more reliable he says than the Vanagon and old busses..if you want camping space it has less than the old busses and Vanagons, but there is more headroom..

Flashlightboy

Enlightened
Is this the one that uses the driver's legs as shock absorbers or is this a front engine job?

avusblue

Enlightened
Thanks everyone for your ideas, and keep 'em coming!

Brock, unfortunately the Eurovan doesn't come in TDI, and honestly if it did, it wouldn't be appealing. The 201 hp V6 engine is adequate enough, but not overly so. I know the TDI is "strong on torque", but really, the diesel would be completely overwhelmed here - keep in mind the Eurovan weighs 4500 lbs!

Klaus, would you mind expanding on your comment? What do you love about it . . . and what do you not quite love?

Ted, thanks for the update.

I appreciate the idea stream! Thanks!

Dave

PS engine is in the front, its a nice modern design!

Brock

Flashaholic
Dave I thought I read it had that V6 TDI in it, the big one they use in the passats in Europe? Again it was a rumor. I thought I read it over on Fred's.

Klaus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Avusblue,

as our family car we´re using a T4/Eurovan (the vans from VW started with T1 ... T4 - they just released the T5 BTW) with the 5cylinder 2.5l 102hp TDI engine - ours also has a camp-van setup built-in which isn´t hurting the all-around usability but adds the camping/travelling touch to it.

There also is some TDI with red I which is the same engine but with 150hp - all those TDI engines can be easily modded to more hp using another software in the injection control box. The TDI are great engines as the consumption is lower than the traditional fuel engines and the tax is lower on gasoline than on standard fuel in most places in europe.

The V6 fuel engine is quite good too but consumes quite a bit more which is understandable taking the weight of the car into regard. The TDI might not be the best engine for the US - I´m not shure on the actual price level of gasoline vs fuel - but it definetely is the big seller in germany / europe.

The T4 (for me) is a great car as it gives you plenty of space and still keeps a limousine-type of driving feeling - its definetely not the transport/large van type of feeling one would expect looking at the size of the car. One mentioned that you get less space than the older versions (T2/T3) which is partially true as the engine moved from the "back seat" to the front row - but overall its just no comparison - the old T2/T3 is really old age and drives that way and the second you drove a modern T4 you won´t go back - period.

Its very smooth driving and a great chassis so you can really drive comparatively sporty and safe for such a large car - and this statement from someone who drove 20 years with various Beemers and sports cars - actually the 100hp T4 is the family car complement to a 200hp 5-series BMW as my business car and a 300hp 911 as a fun add-on and it gets used quite often from both me and my wife - and not just when all the family is with us.

I also want to add that even my wife who usually isn´t into "big" cars likes driving the T4 even when going into town - its quite easy to manouever and park which might not be as important in the US (depending where you live) as in our nearby city. Our camp load-out including 2 x 2 beds (2 in the flip-up top) and fridge, sink and stove wasn´t done by VW/Westfalia but by a third party and IMO is superior to the original VW setup which you seem to get in the US.

For the TDI vs V6 debate - I can´t imagine much which would be too much for the TDI engine - especially the high torque will make you feel it weights much less - but again I have no idea where gasoline stands in the US in general.

For your (avusblue) comments on size, space, drivability and all that - full ACK - its all that and more - if you are used to driving european cars this one won´t disappoint you - it drives so much better than any other van and I won´t even talk about how I think typical US cars drive :)

Regarding reliability and durability - the Tx cars itself comes out of the "use car" segment of volkswagen and we have zillions of the older type T1 ... T3 still on the road with very high milage - these car in its transport versions where actually the base of german "wiederaufbau" after WWII - the jury is still out for the newer T4 as it is just approaching the 20 year mark or so - realiability and durability only gets started to be looked at after 25 years (just kidding) - but the T4 in its variations is still used quite a lot in all "use cars" segments and while it got broad acceptence beyond its transport roots based on its car like drive it still is a heavy-duty type of concept and typically won´t let you down for a long time.

It also got mentioned in Guiness Book of records driving all the americana (?) down from Alaska to Feuerland in like a couple of days straight through using a syncro (4WD) version of it.

The car itself also has a huge following and has its own forum as well www.t4-forum.de but its only in german AFAIK.

Need to come to an end for now - let me just add that a good friend drives one too as does my brother-in-law and my brothers-in-law brother-in-law too - actually the region I live in overall has a pretty high T4 rate on average :)

Keep asking if you need more input but I might be biased

Klaus

Brock: The V6 is standard fuel - the TDI are 4 or 5 cylinders in-a-row - there will be a V10 TDI soon - but not for the Tx - the new T5 will get a V10/2 aka a new 5 cylinder in-a-row using the V10 features.

Security - its the front-engine one and built like a tank - look yourself what happened last summer when someone tried to sneak into the traffic befor my wife

car1.jpg

This is how the other car looked - poor little sucker

car2.jpg

And here´s the expresso break

break.jpg

Oh and yes - the just released new T5 adds a 230hp engine - got some smoothed edges, adds another sliding door on the left side and got rid of the gear-shift between the seats in favor of it being placed in the middle of the dashboard.

t5.jpg

avusblue

Enlightened
WOW! Thanks for the update!

My salesman told me VW has ceased importing the Eurovan into the US. I guess this is because the T5 is out in Europe and the T4 is now done being built. My dealer has ordered 50 (!) vans and when they are gone, there will be no more -- until the Microbus comes in 2005.

Again, I appreciate all the info. If I think of anything else, I'll ask.

Dave

Klaus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dave - wellcome - and you did ask for negatives too - I thought long and hard about it: I **might** have gotten the "red I" TDI @ 150hp instead of the std. 100hp version - and sometimes I think the 4 speed automatic in the T4 isn´t as good as my Beemers 5 speed automatic - besides these shoulda / woulda / coulda thoughts (which are really not as severe) I really think the T4 TDI is one really great car.

Brock - its the 2.5l 5 cylinder TDI at 102hp - and I have to look at that site - I only knew the german T4 enthusiast site so far (mentioned above) - thanks.

Klaus