Good, tough 1 AA pocket light

cadjak

Newly Enlightened
I have been carrying my CMG Ultra for years. The other day I thought I had lost it. Even though I found it, I figured there must be a newer, better, small, LED flashlight made since the CMG. I thought about the Ultrafire C3 with the extension tube bundle. Then I read here that the build quality has gotten so poor that they are no longer worth considering. Is there a solid performer, tough, single LED light for about the same $$ as the C3? Whatever it is, it will be in my pocket every day. I will only be using standard AA alkalines. I'm never without a light and a pocket knife. My CMG has come in handy more times than I can count.

KVegasPhlash

Newly Enlightened
The Fenix L1D CE is really nice, with a small form factor that should be good for general pocket carry.

meuge

Enlightened
I have been carrying my CMG Ultra for years. The other day I thought I had lost it. Even though I found it, I figured there must be a newer, better, small, LED flashlight made since the CMG. I thought about the Ultrafire C3 with the extension tube bundle. Then I read here that the build quality has gotten so poor that they are no longer worth considering. Is there a solid performer, tough, single LED light for about the same $$ as the C3? Whatever it is, it will be in my pocket every day. I will only be using standard AA alkalines. I'm never without a light and a pocket knife. My CMG has come in handy more times than I can count.
The new Fenix E01 should be a great pocket light. 10 lumens for 10+ hours of REGULATED light... on a single AAA alkaline.

If you need LOTS of output in a 1xAA, you can consider a Romisen RC-G2 (I have been modding them with a new circuit (puts >700mA into the LED) and a Q5. If you want a pocket thrower, the modded RC-G2 outputs as much light as the Fenix L2D-CE 2xAA on the Turbo setting... this more than doubles the stock output of the light, and gives you something that can throw ~100ft. Of course, for this light, only NiMH or Lithium (L91) will do.

A Fenix L1D, or even better P2D is an excellent option, but about 2X the price range you're looking for. I personally think it's worth it, and have been EDCing a P2D-R100 for more than 6 months now.

Norm

Retired Administrator
If you like the form factor of the CMG infinity have a look at Peak LED Solutions My favourite is Peak Pacific there are more body styles that those shown on the web page, give them a ring to discuss all the possibilities, my favourites are the pacific 1 AA in the brass pocket body (the same size as you CMG) or the stainless steel keyring body just slightly longer than the CMG.
Norm

swxb12

Flashlight Enthusiast
If the Fenix E01 is really as advertised, I think it'd be a nice replacement for your CMG.

Most one-mode Cree/SSC lights like the ones on DX are geared towards 'max' output, so runtime will suffer on alkalines. Ones with lower output or low/medium modes will fare much better.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
The Romisens seem to be one of the best lower priced lights, they don't use the best LEDs though if that matters(still Cree, but not the highest bin).

2 AA or 1 AA?
Output?

cadjak

Newly Enlightened
The Romisens seem to be one of the best lower priced lights, they don't use the best LEDs though if that matters(still Cree, but not the highest bin).

2 AA or 1 AA?
Output?

I have a Fenix L2D Q5 Cree for 2 AA output. I was just looking for something smaller that I can stuff in my pocket as my daily light-it-up. I like the L2D for camping, and for when I need a fairly small sized thrower.

bryaninperson

Newly Enlightened
I found for me personally that my new Fenix L1D is to big for my taste to carry in my pocket every day, so to solve that I am ordering a LOD for pocket carry. I do like to holster carry the L1D though just not in my pocket.

Xak

Enlightened
The Lumapower seems to be real popular. It has 2 modes, low/high and should have a nice useful floody beam with the Seoul P4 emitter and OP reflector. It looks like a real durable light.

http://www.batteryjunction.com/lumapower-lm301.html

I think I heard from somewhere here on the forum they have a new light out as well that looks interesting and I believe it is 1xAA (unless I am confusing them with another company).

m16a

Enlightened
I have had no trouble carrying my Dexlight in my pocket. Its 1AA and with a NiMh or alkaline it gets something around 60-70 lum(100 if you use li ons, but you expressed interest in not doing so, also 150 lum will only be achieved with a second AA exstension tube). It goes for $45.(link http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.2888) I would also suggest an L0D Q4. It is a single AAA light, max 75 lum and runs for $45 as well(on amazon at least) $46 on fenix-store. (link https://www.fenix-store.com/product_info.php?products_id=191) Hope this helps!

M16a

Gunner12

Flashaholic
If you don't mind modding, the RC-G2(forward clickie!), with a Q5 LED (or was it this one that fit?) and this driver (modes can be easily be disabled) would give you a good amount of throw out of 1 AA battery.

14500 direct drive or with a powerful driver would give more output. Some say Fenix T10 or good P60 drop-in performance.

Opps, misread your reply, you can disregard the above.

Fro something small, easy to use, and lower priced, the Ultrafire C3 SS(well, I pick this because it just looks great), Dexlight(if you don't mind the potentially confusing modes, and higher price), or some of the other smaller multimode 1 AA lights with good reviews should work(like the MTE 5 mode, might be a bit slippery though).

Durability might be a hit or miss for some of the light though. As in some might not last as long as you would like. Good ones should last year without trouble.

Last edited:

AMD64Blondie

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you can still find one...Arc AA. I love mine.Fits in the side mini-pocket of my cargo pants like it was made to be there. Paid $95 for it (don't ask,seller didn't want any lower.)Worth every penny.Quite reassuring to have a light that I can depend on.

chewy78

Enlightened
I've got the l2d q5, its nice but not quite as small as a aaa light.

BigBluefish

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a Fenix L2D Q5 Cree for 2 AA output. I was just looking for something smaller that I can stuff in my pocket as my daily light-it-up. I like the L2D for camping, and for when I need a fairly small sized thrower.

Why don't you consider just getting an L1D body and tailcap from FenixStore? They're $24 before the CPF discount. You can put your L2D CE Q5 on it, and voila! L1D CE Q5. [Edit 4/6/08 - you can get just the body tube on Lighthound for $12, add maybe $5 for shipping, and you get an L1D for $17!)

LED75 mentioned the Civictor. I love mine; it's my current EDC, though I plan to replace it with a light w/two or three levels, and more output on high. It has a very nice beam and I'd guess about 30-35 lumen output. Pretty flat 2+ hour runtime on an L91. A very nice little light, but without the higher output of the Cree emitters. $27 from Lighthound, if they have any left.

Last edited:

Blue72

Flashlight Enthusiast
ARC AAA

I do not think you will find anything more durable

I think you will enjoy the smaller size of the AAA in your pocket as well.